RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Spot the modern interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-15, 08:55 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spot the modern interior

EDIT: SW13GS had a very good point that invalidated my rant: Lexus doesn't compete with Audi head to head and if anything, RX is not a Q7 competitor. Case closed pretty much.

-----------------------------------------------

This is no bashing of the 16 RX, I haven't even seen one in person. But looking at the photos of the 16 Q7 vs 16 RX, I cannot help but thinking how old the RX looks already. It might be step forward from the 3rd gen RX but gents, the Q7 looks from the future. The RX should have launched this design as an LCI for the 12 RX. not in 16.

Regardless, I guess I'll take the RX anyway, cause I cannot afford the Q7

Last edited by metrathon; 05-15-15 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-15-15, 01:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Comparing a perfect manufacturer image vs a snapshot from a carshow isn't fair.

You also touched on it...the Q7 is significantly more expensive than the RX.
Old 05-15-15, 02:23 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Comparing a perfect manufacturer image vs a snapshot from a carshow isn't fair.

You also touched on it...the Q7 is significantly more expensive than the RX.
You *know* is not the pic quality. The tech and the user interface in the Q7 is years ahead of the RX, no matter the photographer. That's true for all the Germans. The Japs used to spearhead technology and engines, they fell behind big time

Let's see the new pricing. The reason why you see so many RXs on the road is the unbeatable price. I'm leasing mine for $480 / mo with $1k down. That's unbelievable, it's the lease of a medium spec 328i. Fingers crossed.
Old 05-15-15, 02:51 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I hate to say it but he has a point, the RX does look dated in comparison, but in interior only. (although the nav screen could be larger) Exterior the Lexus has it bet by a mile. Let's combine them.
Old 05-15-15, 02:59 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bearcat
I hate to say it but he has a point, the RX does look dated in comparison, but in interior only. (although the nav screen could be larger) Exterior the Lexus has it bet by a mile. Let's combine them.
Haha, I'm sure the Chinese will do that in a few months. The Axus or The Lexudi
Old 05-15-15, 03:24 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

oh dear, a more complex Q7? good luck........
Old 05-15-15, 03:31 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rayaans
oh dear, a more complex Q7? good luck........
By the same rationale, an '83 Civic owner is luckier than you because his car is ... less complex, right? I guess the luckiest man in the world is the one that takes the bus.
Old 05-15-15, 03:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
You *know* is not the pic quality. The tech and the user interface in the Q7 is years ahead of the RX, no matter the photographer. That's true for all the Germans. The Japs used to spearhead technology and engines, they fell behind big time

Let's see the new pricing. The reason why you see so many RXs on the road is the unbeatable price. I'm leasing mine for $480 / mo with $1k down. That's unbelievable, it's the lease of a medium spec 328i. Fingers crossed.
i like Q7 interior, but RX interior also looks really nice... what tech in Q7 is years ahead of the RX though? Audi has nothing like RX450h for instance, and new Lexus safety system is way ahead anything that VW group has so far produced.

Also, what is the size of nav screen? Base one is 7" vs 12.3" for RX. That press pic looks like it was shot with wide angle lens.

Also notice how RX has leather on dash, where Q7 does not. I am sure it will be part of some very expensive interior pack later on.
Old 05-15-15, 03:51 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You haven't seen this generation RX's tech or user interface to have any idea if this is true, its a next generation system.

If you prefer the Audi though...all you have to do is show up to the Audi dealer with the money and you're off to the races...and AudiWorld is a very good forum.
Old 05-15-15, 04:12 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf
i like Q7 interior, but RX interior also looks really nice... what tech in Q7 is years ahead of the RX though?
Did you see the 3D nav, showing mountains, lakes, buildings, etc? The huge mousepad with hand writing recognition? What about the instrument cluster, with the full LCD TFT mirroring the Nav, completely re-configurable? Adaptive air suspension?

Lexus safety system is way ahead anything that VW group has so far produced.
Not so sure about that either. On top of offering everything the RX offers, here are a few things that are not even on the drawing board at Lexus HQ:
- Ability to steer around obstacles in the road and brake the car if you make a left turn that will result in a collision with oncoming traffic.
- Brake-based torque vectoring.
- Traffic Jam Assist, which can essentially drive the Q7 on the highway at speeds of up to 40 mph
- A trailer assistant that will back up and steer the trailer for you

Audi has nothing like RX450h for instance
Audi has nothing like the 450h because it doesn't need to. The diesel engines are a better option: good mileage, huge torque, much faster, more fun. The hybrid sells only in US because ppl are scared of diesels for some weird reason.

Also, what is the size of nav screen? Base one is 7" vs 12.3" for RX.
Size doesn't really matter when you have two screens. And guess what: you can do whatever you want while, gasp, driving.

Also notice how RX has leather on dash, where Q7 does not. I am sure it will be part of some very expensive interior pack later on.
And the RX dash leather comes free?

Let's now transform this into a German vs Japanese, because other than on daring exterior, price (TBD) and reliability (TBD), the 4th gen RX doesn't compete very well with the new entries from Audi and Volvo.

Like I said in the begging, most prolly I'll lease the 16 RX first thing. But that doesn't stop me from ranting and wondering if this is the best Lexus could do.
Old 05-15-15, 04:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

D
And the RX dash leather comes free?
Actually, yeah. Stitched dashes are coming standard.

Anyways, sounds like you want an Audi. Nothing wrong with that, I like Audi a lot. I very nearly pulled the trigger on an A6 instead of my 2013 GS and again before I got the LS last week. Very different approaches to making vehicles. Instead of complaining that the Lexus is not like an Audi...just get an Audi.

The big killer with Audi is the fact that I am driving an $80,000 LS460 for the same lease payment I would have had on a $60,000 A6. As for buying it, I wouldn't be interested in buying and keeping an Audi...let alone one with that kind of technology.
Old 05-15-15, 04:18 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

You haven't seen this generation RX's tech or user interface to have any idea if this is true, its a next generation system.

If you prefer the Audi though...all you have to do is show up to the Audi dealer with the money and you're off to the races...and AudiWorld is a very good forum.
Don't dismiss me off to AudiWorld. I got a Lexus and I like it. But that has nothing to do with my point. I'm not brainwashed, I like to see things objective.
Old 05-15-15, 04:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Don't dismiss me off to AudiWorld. I got a Lexus and I like it. But that has nothing to do with my point. I'm not brainwashed, I like to see things objective.
Its not about being brainwashed, its like I said above, Lexus and Audi have very different approaches to building vehicles. Lexus is what it is, its never been a company that has been on the forefront of technology. Believe me...I've had 6 of them over the past 17 years, none of them were on the cutting edge of technology when I got them, and ALL of them had german competitors with more and "better" tech.

If thats what you want, get an Audi. Complaining that Lexus isn't Audi when Audi is right there is pointless. You're not being objective at all, you're assuming an interface and a system you haven't even seen yet alone used is better in an Audi than a system you equally haven't seen or used in a Lexus. You post a professional marketing picture with a wide angle lens and post production editing compared to a quick point and shoot snap of an RX at a car show. Thats not objective, its subjective with a slant towards Audi.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-15-15 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-15-15, 04:26 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Its not about being brainwashed, its like I said above, Lexus and Audi have very different approaches to building vehicles. Lexus is what it is, its never been a company that has been on the forefront of technology. Believe me...I've had 6 of them over the past 17 years, none of them were on the cutting edge of technology when I got them, and ALL of them had german competitors with more and "better" tech.

If thats what you want, get an Audi. Complaining that Lexus isn't Audi when Audi is right there is pointless.
I guess you're right. Lexus is not an Audi competitor. Maybe *I am* brainwashed by the Lexus marketing, trying to position the brand against the Germans.

I saw a huge billboard yesterday on the 405 showing an GS and it said "What's the German for move over?". And I bit
Old 05-15-15, 04:29 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

You're not being objective at all, you're assuming an interface and a system you haven't even seen yet alone used is better in an Audi than a system you equally haven't seen or used in a Lexus. You post a professional marketing picture with a wide angle lens and post production editing compared to a quick point and shoot snap of an RX at a car show. Thats not objective, its subjective with a slant towards Audi.
Don't get hung on the photos. The list of tech in the Audi is very long, with features that Lexus might implement in the '22 RX, if. So, no, when it comes to tech, I'm not subjective at all.

Like you said, two different products, so not much else to say.

Last edited by metrathon; 05-15-15 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Spot the modern interior