RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Spot the modern interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-15, 06:55 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the xc90 looks and drives fantastic, I would without hesitation buy one today if I had the money for it.
Old 05-19-15, 08:33 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Again, much more expensive than the RX with the same option list. Engines aren't great either - a 4 pot in an SUV is a no-no. Power wise not bad but I think the engine noise is a huge distraction.

Back to the Q7 -

Things is doesnt come with:

1) Door pull handles and armrests are not leather (£1500 option)
2) HUD or 12.3" screen between the speedo gauges, or High beam assist (£1950 option)
3) Adaptive air suspension, lane change assist or pre sense (£2655 option)
4) Double glazing windows with privacy glass which is standard on RX (£525 option)
5) Electric folding mirrors, heated, auto dimming and memory (£200 option)
6) Memory driver seat (£350 option)
7) Panoramic sunroof (£1700 option) wtf? lol Lexus charges £900 for this
8) Spare wheel (£250 option)
9) Sun blinds for rear (£280 option)
10) Electric steering column (£400 option) - i thought this would be standard on luxury cars
11) Heated front and rear seats (new rx has this) - £400 option
12) Reversing camera (£500) option
13) Rear side airbags (again Lexus has had this for years) - £350 option
14) Keyless go (£950 option)
15) Bose surround (£1100 option) - Mark Levinson in RX costs £900

Audi Q7 3.0l (272hp) TDI S-line grand total - a whopping £68k!!!!!

My RX450h F-Sport was £53,650 with ML optioned! I cant see the new RX price rising much. Maybe £58k tops fully optioned. Thats a massive £10k difference!
I think most cars in the UK aren't optioned very well and they nickel and dime you for everything. You guys pay more but get less standard options than the US.

The XC90 might be a competitor right now, but when Lexus comes out with the Extended wheelbase RX to accommodate a third row, then the price will be closer. It will also be closer to the Audi Q7 too. I do hope the RX is excellent when it comes out, but you can't ignore the competition and their excellent interiors.

A 4-cylinder might seem like a bad idea in an SUV, but when it has better output numbers in both horsepower and torque than the RX350 (compared to the T6) and the RX450h (compared to the T8) then that's fine.
Old 05-20-15, 02:55 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
All I can say about Audi is "once bitten, twice shy". My experience with Audi doesn't detract from their tech, styling or handling. I loved my Audi, and I hated my Audi, but I still owned it for 7 years. I always keep my receipts and I bought that car twice when adding up the repairs (purchased it as a 4 year lease return). If I were going to get an Audi again, it would only be a lease and/or otherwise unload it once the warranty expires. I cannot say the same for my past Toyota/Lexus products. That doesn't mean I won't look at Audi or other European products, only that I would would tread carefully and I certainly wouldn't put them on a pedestal because they have more gadgets to break in their interiors.

Just my .02 cents worth from my Audi experience. (And there is probably change left over) I am not trying to discourage Audi buyers as there is much to like, but there will be more repair expenses and aggravation with Audi, however the Audi may be more fun to drive - and perhaps have more gadgets.
But you know, OP says Audi's tech is really good.
Old 05-20-15, 03:25 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dchar
I think most cars in the UK aren't optioned very well and they nickel and dime you for everything. You guys pay more but get less standard options than the US.
In this case, yes they are. Its a huge difference between cars like Audi A3/A4 or maybe lower end A6, but when it comes to this kind of cars ( Range Rover, X5 and so on )there is a different story. People who buys a Q7 have money, a LOT of money. A boss at my job pre-ordered the XC90 T8 with full options a week ago, he has a 1,5 year old Cayenne V8 right now.

That is also why reliability in long term use is less important to these luxury brands .People who buys their top end Audis or whatever keeps them for 1-3 years at most. You will probably start to find more and more used Q7 and XC90 within 6-12 months after they are avaliable at dealers.
Old 05-20-15, 04:49 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

Again, much more expensive than the RX with the same option list. Engines aren't great either - a 4 pot in an SUV is a no-no. Power wise not bad but I think the engine noise is a huge distraction.

Back to the Q7 -

Things is doesnt come with:

1) Door pull handles and armrests are not leather (£1500 option)
2) HUD or 12.3" screen between the speedo gauges, or High beam assist (£1950 option)
3) Adaptive air suspension, lane change assist or pre sense (£2655 option)
4) Double glazing windows with privacy glass which is standard on RX (£525 option)
5) Electric folding mirrors, heated, auto dimming and memory (£200 option)
6) Memory driver seat (£350 option)
7) Panoramic sunroof (£1700 option) wtf? lol Lexus charges £900 for this
8) Spare wheel (£250 option)
9) Sun blinds for rear (£280 option)
10) Electric steering column (£400 option) - i thought this would be standard on luxury cars
11) Heated front and rear seats (new rx has this) - £400 option
12) Reversing camera (£500) option
13) Rear side airbags (again Lexus has had this for years) - £350 option
14) Keyless go (£950 option)
15) Bose surround (£1100 option) - Mark Levinson in RX costs £900

Audi Q7 3.0l (272hp) TDI S-line grand total - a whopping £68k!!!!!

My RX450h F-Sport was £53,650 with ML optioned! I cant see the new RX price rising much. Maybe £58k tops fully optioned. Thats a massive £10k difference!
You forgot dashboard leather, thats part of £6000 extended leather pack :-)

Things that crack me up is camera and keyless go that are not in standard packages but always options... thats just hilarious.
Old 05-21-15, 07:10 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar

The XC90 might be a competitor right now, but when Lexus comes out with the Extended wheelbase RX to accommodate a third row, then the price will be closer. It will also be closer to the Audi Q7 too. I do hope the RX is excellent when it comes out, but you can't ignore the competition and their excellent interiors.

A 4-cylinder might seem like a bad idea in an SUV, but when it has better output numbers in both horsepower and torque than the RX350 (compared to the T6) and the RX450h (compared to the T8) then that's fine.
I think Lexus will play fair with the RX and keep the price relatively similiar with a marginal increase. In fact - I think they'll only charge £2-3k more for a 7 seater compared to a normal RX, kind of like how they do with the IS and RC.

The problem is - a marginal difference in horsepower doesnt mean much in real life. You wouldnt be able to notice a 16hp difference but the noise is a different matter. Ive driven the T6. It honestly sounds like **** lol. Completely different story to the noise thats going to be coming out of the new 3.5l V6 in the F-Sport version. Its also worth mentioning that the gearbox jerks which is a complete No-no for me in any car costing more than £40k and the fuel economy struggles to get over 23 UK mpg even though its rated at like 35. My RX450h gets 30mpg on a regular basis and I usually keep it in Sport mode.
Old 05-21-15, 12:08 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

The problem is - a marginal difference in horsepower doesnt mean much in real life. You wouldnt be able to notice a 16hp difference but the noise is a different matter. Ive driven the T6. It honestly sounds like **** lol. Completely different story to the noise thats going to be coming out of the new 3.5l V6 in the F-Sport version. Its also worth mentioning that the gearbox jerks which is a complete No-no for me in any car costing more than £40k and the fuel economy struggles to get over 23 UK mpg even though its rated at like 35. My RX450h gets 30mpg on a regular basis and I usually keep it in Sport mode.
Yeah, especially our hybrid cars have this real power-sound and feeling in the engine and has a inspiring gearbox. Just open the windows when it rains a little bit and you get the feeling of travelling in a boat with an outboard engine at 5000 rpm during acceleration,lets callt it a 2 in 1 feature. The gearbox is indeed seamless but reminds me pretty much of my retired neighbour that puts in a chosen gear and regulates the speed with the cluth.

Honestly, the difference is that other gearboxes changes gears. Just like its menat to. A person who had a "CVT" for a time will find other kind of gearboxes unrefined. Every time someone drives me in a car with manual gearbox ( and I dont notice that immediately ) I think there is a serious problem and that the car will break down in the next corner

Besdides that, XC90 is a huge AWD car and not a hybrid. Compared to other cars at that size it gets pretty good mpg.
Old 05-21-15, 02:51 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
Yeah, especially our hybrid cars have this real power-sound and feeling in the engine and has a inspiring gearbox. Just open the windows when it rains a little bit and you get the feeling of travelling in a boat with an outboard engine at 5000 rpm during acceleration,lets callt it a 2 in 1 feature. The gearbox is indeed seamless but reminds me pretty much of my retired neighbour that puts in a chosen gear and regulates the speed with the cluth.

Honestly, the difference is that other gearboxes changes gears. Just like its menat to. A person who had a "CVT" for a time will find other kind of gearboxes unrefined. Every time someone drives me in a car with manual gearbox ( and I dont notice that immediately ) I think there is a serious problem and that the car will break down in the next corner

Besdides that, XC90 is a huge AWD car and not a hybrid. Compared to other cars at that size it gets pretty good mpg.
No you dont understand - the Volvo has a jerky gearbox, as in an actual jerky gearbox. Its not as smooth as a conventional 6 or 8 speed Lexus gearbox!

I prefer the sound of the RXh on the road rather than the Volvo T6. The RX450h goes pretty damn quick from anywhere between 30 and 100mph that the gearbox feels conventional in that, it makes a growl and then dies down again. Its not like a 0-top speed run where the gearbox drones on until it reaches the top speed. Dont know about your RXh but when I stick mine in Sport mode, itll respond pretty quick. No problems at all passing traffic - dont need to wait for the gearbox to kick down or anything - it just goes.

My point about the mpg was that it sucks for a new motor. My old RX300 used to get 23mpg and that engine is 10 years old lol. Smaller engines are always going to use more fuel at higher loads, may as well go for a big engine!
Old 05-21-15, 03:26 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

I have the CT200h and IS300h right now, but I had a RX400h a short time some years ago. I know what you mean and I was joking a little bit about how the hybrids works, because I always get that kind of comments when people drives a hybrid for the first time No hard feelings here

Many auto or DSG I have driven has this "jerky gearbox" issue at lower speeds or when doing kickdown at some speeds. Especially cars with larger high torque diesels or turbo V6/V8 fitted to a 7 or 8 speed gearbox. Lexus does not have those kind of powerful engines, and maybe half the torque at 4500 rpm .Hybrids do have high torque from the electric motor, but then again, its not a conventional auto /DSG in a Lexus hybrid.

Last edited by Mr Bond; 05-21-15 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-21-15, 06:05 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I think Lexus will play fair with the RX and keep the price relatively similiar with a marginal increase. In fact - I think they'll only charge £2-3k more for a 7 seater compared to a normal RX, kind of like how they do with the IS and RC.

New RX might go more in price due to more features in the UK, but maybe not since Yen is now weaker. I think top end versions in US will certainly go up significantly since US before was missing many of these features.

As to the Volvo, if I remember correctly from C&D comparo, that engine wasnt that good in new XC60... Same goes for new JLR 4cly turbo... great paper specs matter little in real life.
Old 05-22-15, 08:17 AM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spwolf

As to the Volvo, if I remember correctly from C&D comparo, that engine wasnt that good in new XC60... Same goes for new JLR 4cly turbo... great paper specs matter little in real life.
A very few will buy this T6 version anyway, Europeans will buy diesels ( as usual ) and people living in big citys will buy T8, and therefore never rev the engine in normal driving ( 400 hp ) I had a testdrive with the diesel and its perfect in every way. But yes diesel is diesel, its not running like a petrol V12.
Old 05-22-15, 10:32 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
New RX might go more in price due to more features in the UK, but maybe not since Yen is now weaker. I think top end versions in US will certainly go up significantly since US before was missing many of these features.

There will be a slight increase in price but only £2-3k I think. Otherwise, they'll be alienating buyers.

Originally Posted by Mr Bond
A very few will buy this T6 version anyway, Europeans will buy diesels ( as usual ) and people living in big citys will buy T8, and therefore never rev the engine in normal driving ( 400 hp ) I had a testdrive with the diesel and its perfect in every way. But yes diesel is diesel, its not running like a petrol V12.
That's true. We've come to the days in Europe that a diesel is preferred for its low running costs. People only buy a car to get them from A to B in Europe in the cheapest way possible now, not because they have a passion for cars.

I mean look at how many BMW 320d's are around compared to a BMW 320i which IMO is a superior vehicle. More refined than the diesel anyway and enough power for a commuter.

Its safe to say though that due to the general consensus that Diesel is the devils fuel and the media are going against it as well as the environmental agencies, that diesel is going to be heavily taxed at some point compared to petrol.
Old 05-26-15, 04:39 PM
euroja153
Driver

I find this discussion rather amusing. Everyone is telling the OP to go and buy an Audi, he isnt suggesting the Audi is a better car.

The interior of the 4RX is significantly nicer than the 3RX, I dont think anyone will disagree with that. I for one was expecting the 4RX to come with a full TFT instrument cluster, I doubt it will be a deal breaker for most people though. The rest of the interior in the 4RX and the new Q7 are much of a muchness, it comes down to taste, personally I dont like the Audi centre console.

Last edited by euroja153; 05-26-15 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-27-15, 05:14 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by euroja153
I find this discussion rather amusing. Everyone is telling the OP to go and buy an Audi, he isnt suggesting the Audi is a better car.

The interior of the 4RX is significantly nicer than the 3RX, I dont think anyone will disagree with that. I for one was expecting the 4RX to come with a full TFT instrument cluster, I doubt it will be a deal breaker for most people though. The rest of the interior in the 4RX and the new Q7 are much of a muchness, it comes down to taste, personally I dont like the Audi centre console.
Shows how good the community is here

If this same post was on Audiworld, Audi fans would be ****ting all over the RX in a blast of Audi owner superiority complex. Itd be like "RX is a soccer moms car, its got a huge ugly grill, bla bla bla"

The 4RX does have the TFT cluster in the F-Sport model. Its not full TFT in the sense that the petrol gauge and the temperature gauge are dials but I think it works well. We wouldn't want the same thing in every car now would we? Not like the photocopying method of Audi anyway.

I personally dont like the vents in the Q7, why so wide?!
Old 06-04-15, 09:02 AM
hhss
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have two words why Lexus is better than Audi.

Oil Consumption

please refer to this thread

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...umption-Thread

Quick Reply: Spot the modern interior