RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Details unseen in Pics!

Old 04-30-15, 07:14 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Parking brake switch

I have the same switch in my C7 Z51 Corvette and my 2015 Subaru Outback and yes they work. BUT if the design engineers had asked for my personal preference , it would still be a 'pull up' lever style parking brake , but they didn't . And like previously stated, it's not a deal breaker, just a personal opinion on likes and dislikes.
Old 04-30-15, 04:29 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Yep, same as in the GS. Works great.
Does it hold on elevations automatically when in D? My wife's Merc seems to just hold the car on elevations and its over 10 years old lol
Old 04-30-15, 07:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Does it hold on elevations automatically when in D? My wife's Merc seems to just hold the car on elevations and its over 10 years old lol
The brake doesn't activate to hold the car on elevations, but the transmission will hold it there, and it has a hill start function if you hold the brake pedal hard for a couple seconds it will hold it there.
Old 05-03-15, 05:14 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

1. Noticed this a while back and thought I'd post here. We're back to old school round stubby "Ford locks" ?

Wonder what the engineering reason is to bring back this design... functional, safety, esthetics, a combination?

2. ^^^Looks like the RX is getting the nicely soft-touch pleather padding on the interior covering over rear wheel wells.

3. Anyone know what that two-hole-square piece is in the ceiling?

Old 05-03-15, 05:37 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
3. Anyone know what that two-hole-square piece is in the ceiling?]
Microphone? (It's wishful thinking on my part, but a location closer to the driver's head than previous Gens may improve voice recognition and some number of complaints about clarity with hands-free -- although I'm not holding my breath on the former after 2 Gens of RX that 99% of the time never understood me. )
Old 05-03-15, 05:46 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 287 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Microphone? (It's wishful thinking on my part, but a location closer to the driver's head than previous Gens may improve voice recognition and some number of complaints about clarity with hands-free -- although I'm not holding my breath on the former after 2 Gens of RX that 99% of the time never understood me. )
Hmm, I doubt it's a mic since it looks like it's there in the center overhead console by the SOS button. But right now, it's the best guess!

I never had any voice recognition issues in any Lexus vehicle. Recognition works 19 out of 20 times... hmmm, maybe it's a US vs Canadian accent thing, eh?
Old 05-03-15, 06:00 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
...I never had any voice recognition issues in any Lexus vehicle. Recognition works 19 out of 20 times... hmmm, maybe it's a US vs Canadian accent thing, eh?
Could be - AH HA, although as much as it pains me to say it, my MBZ has twice the recognizable voice commands of my Lexi, and has only missed what I was trying to say a couple of times in 2 years -- in part perhaps because it includes an optional training capability for one's voice if you want to take the 10 mins one time to go through it -- which I did. I got so tired of hearing "Pardon?" in response from the "Lexus Lady" for nearly everything except "Go Home", I stopped trying to use all voice commands after a few short weeks in my last two Lexi. That's in part why I'd love to have CarPlay in all my rides, and let Apple manage voice recognition -- Siri, like my German toy, almost never misses what I'm saying.
Old 05-03-15, 10:47 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Few horror stories in the UK regarding the previous locks that could be opened.

The previous style locks could be opened by kids, some of them werent wearing seatbelts and managed to open the door and got flung out. Sounds pretty daft but it happened! Im quite glad it doesnt have the middle seatbelt coming from the roof either

Last edited by rayaans; 05-03-15 at 10:50 AM.
Old 05-03-15, 07:39 PM
Cruiter

My six bits is it's a mic but not what you're thinking as for the phone. My Vette has something similar on the drivers side and it's for reading ambient noise to better calibrate the radio volume while underway. And even in the noisy Vette it works better than any I've had previously from Lexus. It really works.

Of course, I forgot to add I'd rather listen to the four trumpets (exhaust) on the Vette LOL
Old 05-05-15, 05:33 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Nice little touch I just noticed - the window switches are all lined with chrome.

Rear seats are also electric so hopefully no more rattling seats that some people have got with the 3rd gen.

12V socket in the rear is useful along with heated rear seats - but the best bit is the little cubby to put little things in!!

Finally we get a digital clock near the speedo which looks good, and I like the temperature + fuel gauge. They're massive - utterly utterly pointless but hey, it looks good so whatever!

Also, the accelerator peddle comes from the floor like in the IS and RC - another nice touch compared to the current RX

Oh and the wheels are colour customizable - probably going to be a recipe for disaster but atleast its progress in terms of customization!

Last edited by rayaans; 05-05-15 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-06-15, 07:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Also, the accelerator peddle comes from the floor like in the IS and RC - another nice touch compared to the current RX
This I think is something every premium car should have. I much prefer the floor mounted accelerator pedal, its much more comfortable, less fatigue on your leg, your foot never falls off of it, etc.
Old 05-06-15, 04:01 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
This I think is something every premium car should have. I much prefer the floor mounted accelerator pedal, its much more comfortable, less fatigue on your leg, your foot never falls off of it, etc.
This probably so one cannot pile up multiple floor mats under the pedal so it gets stuck.
Old 05-06-15, 04:03 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rogerh00
This probably so one cannot pile up multiple floor mats under the pedal so it gets stuck.
You're probably right. After all that "unintended acceleration" malarkey they probably changed the design to make sure it doesnt happen.

Something else I spotted -

Rear window goes all the way down
Old 05-06-15, 04:06 PM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Is that a window shade imbedded in the door?

Old 05-06-15, 04:48 PM
Cruiter

Wow, nice catch. But as dark as the tint is, one would wonder why? If not then what?
Originally Posted by rogerh00
Is that a window shade imbedded in the door?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Details unseen in Pics!