RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Wait for the 2016 Lexus RX or 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Old 03-28-15, 05:10 PM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wait for the 2016 Lexus RX or 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

Hello all,

I wanted to reach out to you all and get your recommendation regarding these two vehicles. Obviously we don't know much about the 2016 RX yet but I assume it will just be a bigger NX. I really like the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. Do any of you own a 15' summit? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best,

T
Old 03-28-15, 06:06 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

If you like the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit, go for it.
Ray A.
Old 03-28-15, 08:08 PM
kmar
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suggest you do some serious research on the reliability of the Jeep. Read the thread "JD Powers dependability study" on this forum. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep products don't enjoy the highest reliability ratings. They may be nice looking and good performing vehicles when they're not in the shop. Sorry to sound negative but I also considered a couple of different Jeep vehicles but after close inspection and reading reviews my decision was quickly swayed back to the Lexus. Good luck. I hope whatever decision you make works out for you.

Last edited by kmar; 03-28-15 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-29-15, 07:12 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by tdougherty
Hello all,

I wanted to reach out to you all and get your recommendation regarding these two vehicles. Obviously we don't know much about the 2016 RX yet but I assume it will just be a bigger NX. I really like the Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. Do any of you own a 15' summit? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best,

T
Oh - we know alot about the Next gen RX. For the sake of not cluttering up this thread heres a link to the next gen RX: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-debut-28.html

What I know as a fact - 4th gen RX has a floating roof design, 20" standard wheels on high spec models, 12.3" standard screen in high spec models, F-Sport gets the moving TFT speedo like the IS and RC. Its worth waiting for - trust me. But before you take my word for it - its released on the 1st of April so be sure to check it out before you make a decision
Old 03-29-15, 07:48 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, some good advice thus far ...and welcome to the forum. Since you're finding your way around here still, let me offer a couple more specifics and direct pointers:
  • IMHO it is worth your just waiting until after this coming Wednesday when the 2016 RX is revealed by Lexus in NY. Everyone is speculating on what it really is all about until then, and the coming weeks after that will provide more detail as availability gets closer. For now, THIS THREAD is the car chat going on with all the speculation.
  • See THIS THREAD for probably the best description of differences between the NX and present 3rd Gen RX from someone that has owned both.
  • Reliability as suggested is a big consideration for many of us. MY RECENT POST has pointers to the JD Powers info that you can draw your own conclusions from.
We'll be opening a new 4th Gen RX Forum to discuss specifics related to it in the coming weeks. Watch this forum and CL announcements for availability. Good luck in your pursuit.
Old 03-29-15, 09:19 AM
jdshaw
Rookie

I would not consider the Jeep Grand Cherokee under any circumstances. Reliability is awful. Check out Consumer Reports, JD Power, Edmunds, KBB, TrueDelta. Electrical and transmission are big problems.

Several years ago I owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee for five years. During the first three years under warranty it was at the dealer 17 times for issues. The remaining two years cost me around $1200 in repairs.

Last edited by jdshaw; 03-29-15 at 09:23 AM. Reason: fix grammatical mistake
Old 03-29-15, 09:41 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
OP, some good advice thus far ...and welcome to the forum. Since you're finding your way around here still, let me offer a couple more specifics and direct pointers:
  • IMHO it is worth your just waiting until after this coming Wednesday when the 2016 RX is revealed by Lexus in NY. Everyone is speculating on what it really is all about until then, and the coming weeks after that will provide more detail as availability gets closer. For now, THIS THREAD is the car chat going on with all the speculation.
  • See THIS THREAD for probably the best description of differences between the NX and present 3rd Gen RX from someone that has owned both.
  • Reliability as suggested is a big consideration for many of us. MY RECENT POST has pointers to the JD Powers info that you can draw your own conclusions from.
We'll be opening a new 4th Gen RX Forum to discuss specifics related to it in the coming weeks. Watch this forum and CL announcements for availability. Good luck in your pursuit.
Im not speculating :P Ive seen the car already lol
Old 03-29-15, 10:42 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdshaw
I would not consider the Jeep Grand Cherokee under any circumstances. Reliability is awful. Check out Consumer Reports, JD Power, Edmunds, KBB, TrueDelta. Electrical and transmission are big problems.

Several years ago I owned a Jeep Grand Cherokee for five years. During the first three years under warranty it was at the dealer 17 times for issues. The remaining two years cost me around $1200 in repairs.
I so agree. I never owned one but know a lot of people that have and they all had similar problems.
Old 03-29-15, 11:31 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All of these issues that you guys are barking about have been cleared up so we can let that go. It was with early 2014 builds. My sister has a 2014 Overland Hemi 4x4 with 32k mi. It's her first vehicle that has never had one problem. And she's the type that could complain over nothing.

My wife got a 2014 Summit at the beginning of this year. She totaled it last month. We ended up not replacing it just for the sake of getting a third row. My post about it is somewhere on here with another member who gotta summit.

I think they're awesome! Go for it
Old 03-29-15, 12:06 PM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for your input. I am very excited to see what Lexus revieals April 1st regarding their 2016 RX. I am aware of the reliability issues that the GC has, they are clearly documented on jeepforums - especially regarding the 2014. I have also read that most of these issues were resolved due to firmware updates. I do believe the GC received an 82 on consumer reports. That's a pretty great score.

Also, with the jeep, for 3.5k you can purchase a lifetime warranty, zero deductible, with bumper to bumper coverage.

This will be a tough decision for me but I am very blessed to be in this situation. I look forward to any further advice. Thanks!
Old 03-29-15, 01:57 PM
jdshaw
Rookie

Originally Posted by tdougherty
Thanks everyone for your input. I am very excited to see what Lexus revieals April 1st regarding their 2016 RX. I am aware of the reliability issues that the GC has, they are clearly documented on jeepforums - especially regarding the 2014. I have also read that most of these issues were resolved due to firmware updates. I do believe the GC received an 82 on consumer reports. That's a pretty great score.

Also, with the jeep, for 3.5k you can purchase a lifetime warranty, zero deductible, with bumper to bumper coverage.

This will be a tough decision for me but I am very blessed to be in this situation. I look forward to any further advice. Thanks!
Please consider these facts:
Lexus RX and the Lexus brand are considered to have the best reliability over the long term. The Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Jeep brand have the worst reliability over the long term.
It's your money and your decision.
Old 03-29-15, 02:26 PM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Please consider these facts: Lexus RX and the Lexus brand are considered to have the best reliability over the long term. The Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Jeep brand have the worst reliability over the long term. It's your money and your decision.
Oh brother.
Old 03-29-15, 04:54 PM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Please consider these facts:
Lexus RX and the Lexus brand are considered to have the best reliability over the long term. The Jeep Grand Cherokee and the Jeep brand have the worst reliability over the long term.
It's your money and your decision.
I agree. I am also a big Toyota fan. I do take some comfort in Jeep's warranty - but like anything with so much tech and moving parts, I have my concerns. The highest end Grand Cherokee is basically the American Range Rover Sport! Regarding the interior, I am VERY impressed with the fit and finish of the Grand Cherokee Summit. Right now, it completely blows the doors off of the current Lexus RX - imho. Side note, the Harman Kardon stereo is phenomenal.

Reliability is very important. So is driving something that is fun and that I like. You only live once. I'm hoping that Lexus comes out with a more masculine RX that's tastefully done with styling and aesthetics that lasts years. I believe the NX is a bit tacky. It looks like it is trying to hard. If the 4th gen RX remains anything close to current, I would worry that my clients could easily confuse me for a mom heading to the nearest soccer field Accept it or not, this is a common stereotype of the vehicle in my demographic. Not saying that it is good or bad - it just is. Regardless, the vehicle is a proven winner via functionality, reliability, and sales - and that is why I am interested in the refresh.

I am a 28 year old male and looks are still an important factor for me, especially when there is a lot of sexyyyy competition. Excited for April 1st.
Old 03-29-15, 05:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

keep in mind that you will have to wait 7-10 months for RX.

As to Jeep reliability, it is same every year... there is always new MY that fixes all the problems... lets hope it happens some day, I have my doubts as FIAT has been same way forever. But you should not buy your car just because it is reliable... you should buy it because you love it at these prices.
Old 03-29-15, 06:59 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

We know the Lexus will have more/better technology, better on-road dynamics, better reliability, and a better warranty. It's also likely to have better interior quality.

The Jeep will remain more rugged and a great value. It's an older vehicle (although recently refreshed) and is still the one I'd pick despite everything. Im sure the RX will be very nice but I can't see myself owning anything with Lexus' current design language.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wait for the 2016 Lexus RX or 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit