RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Old 04-02-15, 03:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
So you are claiming that younger people like the style but only older people have the money to afford Lexus?
I bought my first Lexus when I was 22 LOL
Old 04-02-15, 03:23 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just reviewed photos and features with my wife, and she absolutely loves it (hybrid), as do I. She was at first a little hesitant on the bigger spindle grill than our 2013, but the more she looked at the photos, the more she liked (good thing as no grill replacement option except the F sport). We are retired (mid 60's) and do extensive traveling along with our Yorkie dog. Looking forward to the added room, improved comfort and luxury, 20 inch wheels along with latest Michelins, Lexus Safety System+, 12.3 inch Navigation screen and lots of the other options. Sure there will be lots of other details we like as more information is available. Our 3rd generation RX experience is about as perfect as can be, but I think the 4th generation RX will be just as dependable and fun, but with all the latest improvements and new features.
Old 04-02-15, 03:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Not to one up, but to strengthen your argument, I bought my first Lexus when I was 20. It can be done.
Old 04-02-15, 03:48 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I was 62 when I bought my first Lexus. Right in the sweet spot for the ES350. The average age may have dropped a bit with the new gen ES, but hard to tell by how much. Sites like CL are generally visited by a younger, enthusiast.

JD Power used to show buyer demographics for most models on their web site, but no longer do. They showed it by age, gender income etc. Maybe it's by subscription now, I really don't know.
Old 04-02-15, 04:01 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I don't agree when you're talking about enthusiasts of the brand.

I read and post on a LOT of auto forums, and I have for over a decade. This is not a unique to Lexus phenomenon, and this is not unique here to the spindle cars. It was this way when they refreshed the LS for 1998. It was this way when the 3GS came out. People with the 2GS thought it was hideous! People on the LS430 STILL try and pretend that their LS430s are better than brand new LS460s. People on the LS460 forums say they bought used LS's to avoid the spindle...which is BS...they bought them because they were cheaper.

You should have seen the Jeep forums when the WK2 Grand Cherokee came out. They thought it was terrible looking. Now the biggest forum on there is the WK2 forum. WK2 refresh in 2014, anarchy! Now you rarely see a poster with a pre-refresh WK2.

Change is hard, and its normal human behavior to outwardly express preference for what you have over the next thing which you don't have. Its like people who say they prefer the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6. They prefer it because they have an iPhone 5. If someone offered to give them an iPhone 6...they'd take it.

If someone offered to give any of you with a 3RX this 4RX...you'd take it...and you'd love it.
yep, this happens with every new model... every single time.

I personally like new models almost every time... but this new RX is easy thing to like for me, compared to old one... before when you looked at GS and RX, they looked like they are from different planets, interior wise...

And you are right about changing perceptions - when GS came out it was outrageous, now it is boring... just 3 years ago too.
Old 04-02-15, 04:15 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't agree when you're talking about enthusiasts of the brand.

I read and post on a LOT of auto forums, and I have for over a decade. This is not a unique to Lexus phenomenon, and this is not unique here to the spindle cars. It was this way when they refreshed the LS for 1998. It was this way when the 3GS came out. People with the 2GS thought it was hideous! People on the LS430 STILL try and pretend that their LS430s are better than brand new LS460s. People on the LS460 forums say they bought used LS's to avoid the spindle...which is BS...they bought them because they were cheaper.

You should have seen the Jeep forums when the WK2 Grand Cherokee came out. They thought it was terrible looking. Now the biggest forum on there is the WK2 forum. WK2 refresh in 2014, anarchy! Now you rarely see a poster with a pre-refresh WK2.

Change is hard, and its normal human behavior to outwardly express preference for what you have over the next thing which you don't have. Its like people who say they prefer the iPhone 5 to the iPhone 6. They prefer it because they have an iPhone 5. If someone offered to give them an iPhone 6...they'd take it.

If someone offered to give any of you with a 3RX this 4RX...you'd take it...and you'd love it.
A bit of a blanket statement there. Just because someone on here doesn't like the 4RX and owns a 3RX doesn't 100% mean they are exhibiting what you are describing. They could genuinely not like a certain design aspect, and who could blame them with this radical departure from the tame 3RX

My original point was simply that Lexus's new design is polarizing, nobody can deny that. There are a lot of people who like it, and just as many people who don't. Compared to other brands, like MB for example. I think more people like their design than dislike it. There is no need for their designs to "grow" on people. IMO, Lexus needs to move towards that kind of design statement.

Last edited by RXSF; 04-02-15 at 04:26 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 04:21 PM
LSG89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really like the interior of the Rx, exterior wise I think people need to see it in person, many thought IS350 was ugly and when they saw it, they loved it. However I must say that 2nd gen RX is the best RX ever made, 3rd gen looks ugly and cheap as well, F Sport was alright though.

Last edited by LSG89; 04-02-15 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-02-15, 04:49 PM
LSG89
Driver School Candidate

No biggie, I did too (few months ago), my friend bought an Audi R8 at 23.
Old 04-02-15, 04:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by LSG89
Really like the interior of the Rx, exterior wise I think people need to see it in person, many thought IS350 was ugly and when they saw it, they loved it. However I must say that 2nd gen RX is the best RX ever made, 3rd gen looks ugly and cheap as well, F Sport was alright though.
they all sucked to me, except for this one... well, they were cars i would get for the wifey, and not myself.
Old 04-02-15, 05:35 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

One thing i still dont get is why Lexus doesn't make RX a true luxury SUV based on a RWD platform.
At the heart of it, the platform is FWD and shares a lot with low class Toyota models.

My parents owned a first gen RX and two 2nd gen RXs.
All three had reliability issues surprisingly and i was never impressed by them.

The GS platform is under utilized - Lexus could develop X6 competitor at least.
Old 04-02-15, 07:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Not to one up, but to strengthen your argument, I bought my first Lexus when I was 20. It can be done.
So THIS is how its gonna be huh?

Originally Posted by LSG89
No biggie, I did too (few months ago), my friend bought an Audi R8 at 23.
I wasn't boasting, I was just saying that the other poster's statement that the only people who can afford these cars are 50+ isn't true.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
One thing i still dont get is why Lexus doesn't make RX a true luxury SUV based on a RWD platform.
At the heart of it, the platform is FWD and shares a lot with low class Toyota models.

My parents owned a first gen RX and two 2nd gen RXs.
All three had reliability issues surprisingly and i was never impressed by them.

The GS platform is under utilized - Lexus could develop X6 competitor at least.
I agree 100%. This to me shows that at the core for all the advances they've made, Lexus still doesn't REALLY get it. The NX and RX should be on the GS/IS platform, not the Rav 4 and Camry platform. Its a very versatile platform, the AWD system exists and is excellent, and it would finally do away with this stigma of a Lexus as being a warmed over Toyota. The NX isn't REALLY comparable with the X3 and Q5, the MB small SUVs because its at its core a FWD value driven platform. The RX will never REALLY be taken seriously alongside an X5 because of the same limitation.

Yes they sell, but overall Lexus needs to achieve parity and if they did that, they would sell even better and their sales would be I think more stable and predictable,
Old 04-02-15, 07:23 PM
Nights
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RXSF
A bit of a blanket statement there. Just because someone on here doesn't like the 4RX and owns a 3RX doesn't 100% mean they are exhibiting what you are describing. They could genuinely not like a certain design aspect, and who could blame them with this radical departure from the tame 3RX

My original point was simply that Lexus's new design is polarizing, nobody can deny that. There are a lot of people who like it, and just as many people who don't. Compared to other brands, like MB for example. I think more people like their design than dislike it. There is no need for their designs to "grow" on people. IMO, Lexus needs to move towards that kind of design statement.
Actually, with some of Mercedes designs recently, it's been the opposite. I really liked the new C when I first saw it, but now after seeing quite a few on the road, the drooping butt and the proportions now make me not like it nearly as much. And actually, a fair bit of what makes the "German" designs desirable can be linked to the badge. If a Hyundai had the same design as a C or a 3 series, I'm pretty sure people would be less enthusiastic about them than if they wore the 3 pointed star or the blue roundel.

I actually think the OP's post that you were replying to is pretty spot on. Not the bit about recent buyer envy (although that too is true; the 3IS forums were filled with posts from 2IS owners initially), but the fact is that Lexus is trying to target a new demographic, that will be buying cars for the next 20-30 years. They're trying to elicit an emotional response from buyers. People used to by Lexus vehicles for a number of reasons, mainly rational ie. value, reliability. You didn't desire a Lexus, you bought one because it was the right and proper thing to do. People in the 30-45 age bracket nowadays want different, they buy more with their hearts. And Lexus is trying to add that emotional element to their cars (I just wish they would hurry up and put the same effort into their drivetrains! Still have high hopes for the LC). They want people to actually WANT a Lexus (their design chief has even said that the old designs were about not wanting to alienate ANYONE, so everything got watered down to not potentially offend any group, hence the "bland" design reputation that Lexus got) and generally I find, if they get them into the dealership and walk out with one Lexus, the time old reliability, quality and customer service will bring them back for addition Lexii (?sp) down the track, especially if the designs continue to elicit that emotional response. This is vitally important in Asia which is a growing market (the NX for example is going gangbusters in Asia and Europe), and also if they want to have any hope of continuing to grow in Europe, they need to be different from their continental competition. Lexus will never grow as a brand, if it continues to market purely to the US, and that being said, they're still achieving record sales in the US with their spindle grilled new models.

That's not saying their designs can't be improved, I do think the 4RX is a little busier than it needs to be, but Lexus is trying to separate itself from the Germans by celebrating it's Japanese-ness, which I think it's great. More choice for all. And after all, if I wanted a vehicle that was a carbon copy of what the German brands were doing, I'd just go buy one of them.
Old 04-02-15, 07:45 PM
Nights
Pole Position

I agree 100%. This to me shows that at the core for all the advances they've made, Lexus still doesn't REALLY get it. The NX and RX should be on the GS/IS platform, not the Rav 4 and Camry platform. Its a very versatile platform, the AWD system exists and is excellent, and it would finally do away with this stigma of a Lexus as being a warmed over Toyota. The NX isn't REALLY comparable with the X3 and Q5, the MB small SUVs because its at its core a FWD value driven platform. The RX will never REALLY be taken seriously alongside an X5 because of the same limitation.

Yes they sell, but overall Lexus needs to achieve parity and if they did that, they would sell even better and their sales would be I think more stable and predictable,
The issue is cost. Up until Akio took over at Lexus, most Toyota execs saw Lexus as a distribution channel rather than a true "brand" in it's own right.

However, this is starting to change, however developing modular platforms takes time, planning and most importantly money.

You couldn't build the RX on the current GS platform, mainly because the platform wasn't designed to accomodate an SUV. You could try and mangle one, but there'd be packaging issues, not to mention a higher price point. Similarly, the NX was never going to be built on the IS platform, when the 3IS is just a slightly modified GS platform. To be honest, the FWD bit doesn't really resonate with the majority of buyers (other than enthusiast forums such as this); the Germans have done many focus group tests of buyers of the X1/3, Q3/5 etc. and most buyers didn't even know whether the car was FWD or RWD biased, and they mostly didn't care. Hence why BMW is now releasing FWD cars (heck they even built a whole platform for it) because of the packaging benefits it brings, and MB and Audi have had plenty of FWD biased cars in their fleets for some time now.

I think hopefully, in the next generation, we'll start to see more proper platform planning with Lexus in mind. The new Toyota TNGA is an example, in that it's designed to accomodate both FWD and RWD applications. Hopefully we'll see that more in the future, so maybe the 4IS platform will spawn the 2NX, 2RC etc. and the 5GS will share with the 5RX etc.
Old 04-02-15, 07:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nights
The issue is cost. Up until Akio took over at Lexus, most Toyota execs saw Lexus as a distribution channel rather than a true "brand" in it's own right.

However, this is starting to change, however developing modular platforms takes time, planning and most importantly money.
Of course its cost. However...I agree its changing and I agree that change takes time...especially with Toyota.

You couldn't build the RX on the current GS platform, mainly because the platform wasn't designed to accomodate an SUV. You could try and mangle one, but there'd be packaging issues, not to mention a higher price point. Similarly, the NX was never going to be built on the IS platform, when the 3IS is just a slightly modified GS platform.
If you can put three platforms together to build an RC coupe, you can build an SUV off of the GS platform. Would it take more cost? Yes. But if you truly want to build world class vehicles you have to invest in these things. These are not truly world class vehicles that you can say are the peers or the top of the heap in their classes while they're FWD. Thats just the way it is.

To be honest, the FWD bit doesn't really resonate with the majority of buyers (other than enthusiast forums such as this); the Germans have done many focus group tests of buyers of the X1/3, Q3/5 etc. and most buyers didn't even know whether the car was FWD or RWD biased, and they mostly didn't care.
Enthusiasts care. While enthusiasts are the minority, we're vocal. I think it matters more than you think too. Look at Cadillac, and what GM has invested in shedding their FWD lineup. If they can do it...Toyota certainly can.

Hence why BMW is now releasing FWD cars (heck they even built a whole platform for it) because of the packaging benefits it brings, and MB and Audi have had plenty of FWD biased cars in their fleets for some time now.
MB has one FWD car. Again...these companies are moving downmarket to get volume, thats the reason for FWD. Lexus has said they aren't going to do that, they don't have to do that...so why are they continuing to use retreaded Camry and Corolla platforms when they have an excellent and adaptable rigid, lightweight RWD platform there they can develop off of?

Audi at least does their AWD lineup right. The cars have a FWD basis, but at least you get the engine pointing the right way.
Old 04-02-15, 09:10 PM
silver2000
Rookie

2 questions
why does the thread show 51 pages but never goes past 49 ?

And besides higher cost and some pretty bangles what is the point of the Fsport ? I dont see any performance or technology improvements

Is the idea to make it "special"

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)