ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022-273/)
-   -   Remote Start subscription? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022/980313-remote-start-subscription.html)

markn 01-29-22 07:49 AM

Remote Start subscription?

I have a question about the remote start for the 2022 RX350. Is this function of remote start tied to a subscription to make it work?

If my key fob (new car ordered) has remote start but is only able to work through a monthly subscription I’m going to be pissed. Here’s what Toyota is trying to do. Same badge as Lexus.

Toyota Remote Start Subscription

RXWes 01-29-22 09:05 AM

How pissed do you plan on being?

PhxBill 01-29-22 09:14 AM

The Enform app does remote start, and so far it doesn’t cost me anything.

TechNut 01-29-22 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by markn (Post 11216385)
I have a question about the remote start for the 2022 RX350. Is this function of remote start tied to a subscription to make it work?

If my key fob (new car ordered) has remote start but is only able to work through a monthly subscription I’m going to be pissed. Here’s what Toyota is trying to do. Same badge as Lexus.

Toyota Remote Start Subscription

I believe its included for the first three years. The length of various subscriptions varies with model years so I'm not certain about the duration for a 2022 MY vehicle. The keyfob can also be used to activate the remote start by pressing three times on the remote - holding for a few seconds on the third press. Obviously, you have to be in relatively short range for this to work. There is a fair bit of debate over whether this feature on the remote control continues if the subscription expires. I do not know the answer to this debate as I maintain my subscription. Sadly, most manufacturers today use subscriptions to pay for the overhead, like cellular connectivity, as well as pad their profits of course. I'm not sure you will find a new well-equipped vehicle today that doesn't have a subscription to maintain certain features.

mcomer 01-29-22 10:06 AM

All 2020 and newer Lexi have a 36 month (3 year) trial period for the Connected Services.
These include the Lexus App, Safety Connect and the enabled fob remote start.
The Service Connect feature is enabled for 60 months (5 years). It is necessary to subscribe
to continue the use of the App or fob RS after that trial period expires. The subscription(s) are
ala carte, $80/yr. for the Safety Connect (find stolen or crashed car), $80/yr additional to continue
the Lexus App (find, follow, monitor, lock/unlock, remote start the car) for $160/yr total and $80/yr
for live Destination Assist (largely obsolete for anyone with a smart phone).

When the Remote Start App and fob debut in 2015 (sedans w/ Nav) and 2016 (all models)
the trial period was 12 months (1 year). It was $249/year after that, $349/yr to include the live DA.

markn 01-29-22 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by TechNut (Post 11216483)
for a 2022 MY vehicle. The keyfob can also be used to activate the remote start by pressing three times on the remote - holding for a few seconds on the third press. Obviously, you have to be in relatively short range for this to work.

If the fob will work short distance (200' or less from vehicle) to start engine, then this is acceptable. But having to pay to perform what I just wrote is stupid.

On my wifes 2012 RX350 the remote will start the car 150' from her work building to parking lot from a window.

Yes, I'm aware of these new grossly overpriced services ( I have a 2022 Ram 1500) especially on what some consider a luxury model vehicle. I don't believe many continue these subscriptions.

jrobe 01-29-22 01:11 PM

If the remote start was $5, I wouldn't pay it on principal alone and I live in a cold climate where it could be useful.

mikemu30 01-29-22 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by jrobe (Post 11216688)
If the remote start was $5, I wouldn't pay it on principal alone and I live in a cold climate where it could be useful.

Then you'd just be kidding yourself. Everyone has to have their dinner!

TechNut 01-30-22 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by jrobe (Post 11216688)

I don't have any problem with the manufacturer recouping the cellular connectivity costs after the car reaches a certain age. I don't expect them to provide cellular access for the life of the car. Even an Amazon has a separate price for their Kindle devices that include cellular connectivity. They are simply passing that cost to the consumer.

Quantum501 01-30-22 11:56 AM

I thought that I had read that Toyota had reversed their decision to do this for their new vehicles. I think that they got so much negative feedback that they just decided to not charge. I will try to look into this.

I don't use the App very often for engine start but it is nice on really cold days. Seems that it is a bit of nickel and diming us after spending $50k. Everything is going subscription these days....the new revenue model. Not a fan.

Quantum501 01-30-22 11:58 AM

Here is one article about blowback on subscription plan....

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/43636/...ssive-blowback

mrmonster 01-31-22 06:29 AM

It's very easy to add stand alone remote starter to these cars. It's basically plug&play with the proper harness, you just need to remove the lower dash covers to get to the connectors.

I used a Fortin bypass module with RF extender and harness, there was no wire cutting just plug it in with "up to 5000ft" range.

777rx400h 01-31-22 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mrmonster (Post 11217717)
It's very easy to add stand alone remote starter to these cars. It's basically plug&play with the proper harness, you just need to remove the lower dash covers to get to the connectors.

I used a Fortin bypass module with RF extender and harness, there was no wire cutting just plug it in with "up to 5000ft" range.

Does your installed system shut off the engine when the door is unlocked/opened?

Cocal 01-31-22 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by 777rx400h (Post 11217879)
Does your installed system shut off the engine when the door is unlocked/opened?

Probably not, the shutting down the motor is one on Lexus antitheft procedures.

whiteghost 06-11-22 04:58 AM

Lexus remote start on newer >21 vehicles?

I have a 2019 and thing Lexus integrating the remote start feature with a paid subscription is terrible so I don’t pay them for the Enform.

Did or are they still making the remote start feature part of a paid subscription on the newer Rx350’s?