ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022-273/)
-   -   OEM Michelin, OEM Bridgestone Vs Other (merged threads) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-4th-gen-2016-2022/882660-oem-michelin-oem-bridgestone-vs-other-merged-threads.html)

jrobe 01-10-22 01:56 PM

The last tires on put on my Rx350 had a warranty for 80,000 miles. I wouldn't expect to necessarily get 80k from them before I decided to replace them but I certainly expect to get 50,000 miles. I wouldn't buy tires that wouldn't be expected to get very close to this. I agree though that the OEM tires are not of this quality.

Hotrod70 01-12-22 09:16 AM

Just put a set on my 2019 FWD. Love the ride, extremely smooth. Driving it to Orlando this weekend, looking forward to a highway ride.

VroomZoom 01-12-22 12:28 PM

....Just put a set......
Which tires??

sderman 01-12-22 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by VroomZoom (Post 11202615)
....Just put a set......
Which tires??

Good point - I have a set of tires on my RX350.

ravenuer 01-12-22 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by sderman (Post 11202621)
Good point - I have a set of tires on my RX350.

Better than driving on the rims, right?

396chevy 01-12-22 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cropdustef (Post 11200731)
I think the expectation of getting 50K from a set of tires is entirely unrealistic. Sure it happens, but it's the exception, not the rule. I rotate the tires on my 2016 RX350 and my wife’s 2016 ES350 2-3 per year with oil changes. My mechanic charges $20-$25...he also tells me to bring a jug of Mobil 1 because I can buy it for less than he.
Nothing improves the ride of a car better than new tires. Should you rotate them? Yes. Should you obsess about rotating them? I think not.

I strongly disagree with you but there a number of factors at play.

Which tire you choose will have a HUGE effect on how long they last. Some tires are DESIGNED to last only 30K miles, and if you drive aggressively, they probably won't even last that! But some other tires are designed to go 80K miles before needing to be replaced. Rubber compounds and tread design differ greatly and have a huge effect on both performance and treadlife.

Typically, higher performance tires or aggressive tread tires will wear on faster than all-season or long-life tires. If you are running a tire that is meant to give you Maximum performance, then generally its lifespan will be much less than a tire that is designed to give good overall performance but maximum mileage.

Several manufacturers offer treadlife warranties of 70-80K miles (Michelin, Goodyear, Pirelli, etc, while this doesn't mean that the tires will last that long I would expect that a normal user would see at least 60-70K miles out them. Remember those treadlife warranties are prorated - so typically if they are worn down to the wear bars t at 40K miles/50% of the warrantied mileage, they will typically reimburse you for 50% of the cost of the tire, when you buy a new set of their tires that is.... So i can assure you the manufacturer is expecting you to get alot more than that out of them for the average user.

If you replace your tires whenever the salesman at discount tire or the dealership recommends it, you probably aren't getting the maximum life out of your tires. If you want to get the maximum life out of your tires, you will need to run them until they are worn down to the wear bars (typically 3/32") if you replace them at 4/32 you could be missing out on as much as 10K miles of effective life. (Assuming starting tread depth of 10/32, leaving 7/32 usable and based on a high life tire with a 70K mile average lifespan, every 1/32" = aprox 10K miles) Most people get nervous and replace them long before the tread actually gets worn down to being flush with the wear bars.

You can't drive like a 17 YO that just got his first car. Hard starts/stops and a lot of city driving will wear out tires faster than cruising down the highway.

Maintenace - you need to rotate your tires (I'd recommend every 10K miles or so), maintain correct tire pressure, replace any worn out components such as shocks and bushings, and check your alignment (And get it aligned when needed. some places even offer free alignment checks)

Hotrod70 01-13-22 01:35 AM

Sorry..Continental Cross Contact LX25

1Louder 01-13-22 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hotrod70 (Post 11203119)
Sorry..Continental Cross Contact LX25

I swapped to these - I'm really happy with mine.

daryll40 03-06-22 01:23 PM

This thread went quiet. I have a positive update on my Goodyear Assurance MaxLife tires. I just did a trip from Pittsburgh to Indianapolis and back, that I do a few times per year. About 765 miles, mostly flat through Ohio, on Interstate 70 that usually moves well. Speed about 75-80MPH. It appears that I got 26.6 MPG versus about 24 MPG on the old OEM Bridgestone tires. I guess there are variables such as speed and traffic and A/C etc, but this latest trip was similar to the last two on the old tires. Preliminarily it appears that the new tires are actually more fuel efficient than the old ones. I was concerned that they'd be less efficient, so even "the same" would have been satisfactory. The fact that the mileage actually appears to be improved is a big plus!

NotAFiat 03-07-22 10:56 AM

Fantastic Mileage

Originally Posted by daryll40 (Post 11242243)
This thread went quiet. I have a positive update on my Goodyear Assurance MaxLife tires. I just did a trip from Pittsburgh to Indianapolis and back, that I do a few times per year. About 765 miles, mostly flat through Ohio, on Interstate 70 that usually moves well. Speed about 75-80MPH. It appears that I got 26.6 MPG versus about 24 MPG on the old OEM Bridgestone tires. I guess there are variables such as speed and traffic and A/C etc, but this latest trip was similar to the last two on the old tires. Preliminarily it appears that the new tires are actually more fuel efficient than the old ones. I was concerned that they'd be less efficient, so even "the same" would have been satisfactory. The fact that the mileage actually appears to be improved is a big plus!

I just finished a 420 mile trip doing 70-85 mph. My mileage averaged 24.5/gallon on Michelin CrossClimate 2. You and your tires did very well.

Quantum501 03-09-22 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by daryll40 (Post 11242243)

Thanks for the feedback.

I just replaced my Michelin Premier LTX which only lasted 36,000 miles with the Goodyear Assurance MaxLife. Hope that they last significantly more than 36k. I liked the Michelin's but need more miles since my annual mileage is usually about 30k.

Interested if mileage, road noise, ride change as well. Averaged about 22 mpg with mixed driving with the Michelins.

Will provide an update in a few months.

GS4_Fiend 03-09-22 01:35 PM

I've heard good things about the Michelin Cross Climate 2. That will be my go to tires next.

mikemu30 03-10-22 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Quantum501 (Post 11244298)
Thanks for the feedback.

I just replaced my Michelin Premier LTX which only lasted 36,000 miles with the Goodyear Assurance MaxLife. Hope that they last significantly more than 36k. I liked the Michelin's but need more miles since my annual mileage is usually about 30k.

Interested if mileage, road noise, ride change as well. Averaged about 22 mpg with mixed driving with the Michelins.

Will provide an update in a few months.

24K on my wife's RX Goodyears and they barely show any signs of wear. Her Michelins were also toast around 35K.

Quantum501 03-10-22 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by mikemu30 (Post 11244742)
24K on my wife's RX Goodyears and they barely show any signs of wear. Her Michelins were also toast around 35K.

Thanks....I remember that you said that you had these on a vehicle.

Would love to get 50k+ from these. Great to hear that they are holding up well.

rdfish1 03-11-22 10:49 AM

I continue to follow this thread as I get closer to replacing the etopia’s which have 38k on them now. They still have tread depth in the center 2/3 but the outer edge is bald. Obviously from not rotating enough snd my wife’s bad driving but I’ve never liked these tires. I would be appalled at tires wearing out at 30k miles, and not thrilled about these, which I will replace at 40