RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX350 Head lamp housing inside fogging

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 09:14 AM
VictPatman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 RX350 Head lamp housing inside fogging

Driver side lamp housing

passenger side
My both head lamp housing inside fogging, I went to the dealer and they said it's 2015 model have a leaky housing which allow the moisture enter the inside housing and it will getting worse and need to replace the two lamp housing in near future, For the mean time, the dealer will applied a silicone sealer to stop the leak and prevent it getting worse. For me it's safety issue and the dealer should replace it for free.
I am asking any any body have this problem and how to fix it ?

Thanks
Old 07-13-19, 10:55 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

Some vehicles have a removeable plastic hatch into the headlamp assembly that you can remove to change the bulbs. My wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8 has these hatches. A couple of times a year, the inside of her headlamp assemblies will develop condensation just as your RX350 has done. I open the hood, reach in and remove the hatches on top of both headlamp assemblies, park the vehicle in the sun for a few hours and presto, problem solved. I then reinstall the hatches and close the hood.

I do not know if the RX350 headlamp assemblies have these hatches but you may want to go take a look. I have never had a condensation problem with my wife's 2015 RX350's headlamp assemblies.
Old 07-15-19, 06:46 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Look for a hairline crack on the lens. Also check that the bulb seal at the rear is intact.
Old 07-15-19, 08:33 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Look for a hairline crack on the lens. Also check that the bulb seal at the rear is intact.
While a crack on the lens can happen, and the seal for the lens can also leak, although this really doesn't happen that much anymore, it is more common for the plastic to crack by one of the mounting points for the assembly. Since it happened on both sides, I would guess that whoever put the things on was having a bad day and over torqued the fasteners and/or had things a little out of alignment.

Since the housings have, and probably always will, cost quite a bit, one common fix is to use high temp RTV to seal the crack after drying the inside of the thing, it's temperature resistant and flexible enough.

On the OPs comment that this is a safety issue and should be covered, I would have to ask how long is Lexus expected to keep fixing the thing after the warranty expires? The "it's a safety issue" argument keeps coming up for new owners of classic cars, and something goes wrong with their new toy. These days the latest problem many are having seems to be air bag modules failing after ~30 years and being impossible to find, and of course the first time classic car owner expecting the manufacturer to have the part available and giving them away for free.

Last edited by tus; 07-15-19 at 08:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Clutchless (07-15-19)
Old 07-15-19, 01:06 PM
mandyfig

Received 408 Likes on 359 Posts

Usually the moisture is coming in from the top. Adding a bead of silicone will help divert the water. At least try that. That's how I stopped my headlamps from fogging up.

If you have been in a fender bender, that could also cause your headlamps to crack and therefore moisture can get in.
Old 07-16-19, 12:18 PM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Are you sure it's fogging on the inside?
Looking at your pictures I think it may be oxidation on the outside, because there are no droplets, just milky fog.
Try applying some regular car wax to the light and buff it good. If the fog gets better, its on the outside, and can be fixed permanently fairly easy.

Last edited by Non; 07-16-19 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-16-19, 04:04 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

If the apparent fogging goes away at certain times then it is a crack or leak.

If it never changes then (as suggested above) you have an oxidizing, UV damaged aging headlight lens that can be restored with one of the kits available at any auto parts store or Amazon.
Old 07-17-19, 09:05 AM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes thats on the outside . Mine are doing the same thing . We have tried buffing them out and that works okay but it it wont last very long . I have a body shop and what we have been doing for the last couple of years for customers is sand the lens down with very fine sand paper and the clean and clear coat them with the same clear we paint cars with . They look like new and last for years .Never had a come back . Its cost more then those kits you buy but it lasts . Just another idea for you .
Old 07-17-19, 09:13 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry2522
We have tried buffing them out and that works okay but it it wont last very long.
I suggested waxing and buffing just as a test to see if it's outside or inside. Of course wax and buff will last two weeks at best.

A good car detailer or paint correction guy can restore the lights permanently. Or you can do it yourself
Old 07-17-19, 01:16 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

The headlamp lens exteriors on my wife's old 2000 RX300 (which we owned from August 2003 until February 2007) tended to cloud up a couple of times a year. I discovered that a bathroom cleanser product called SoftScrub (with bleach) did a great job of cleaning off the exterior cloudiness. So every six months or so I would polish them back to clear status using SoftScrub, a dampened cotton rag, and plenty of elbow grease. Easy, fast, and inexpensive. I did the same to her friend's Toyota Solara headlamp lens exteriors several months ago and achieved the same excellent results.

My wife's old 2004 RX330 (which we owned from February 2007 until July 2012) never had this problem. And thus far neither has her 2015 RX350 (acquired in October 2018).
Old 08-20-19, 02:10 PM
VictPatman
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by RX in NC
The headlamp lens exteriors on my wife's old 2000 RX300 (which we owned from August 2003 until February 2007) tended to cloud up a couple of times a year. I discovered that a bathroom cleanser product called SoftScrub (with bleach) did a great job of cleaning off the exterior cloudiness. So every six months or so I would polish them back to clear status using SoftScrub, a dampened cotton rag, and plenty of elbow grease. Easy, fast, and inexpensive. I did the same to her friend's Toyota Solara headlamp lens exteriors several months ago and achieved the same excellent results.

My wife's old 2004 RX330 (which we owned from February 2007 until July 2012) never had this problem. And thus far neither has her 2015 RX350 (acquired in October 2018).
Thanks for the tips how to remove the fogging head lamp housing.
Recently I did a transmission fluid change at the dealership and i compliant about the head lamps fogging and the service adviser just ask the technician to clear up the fogging and come back within half hours the lamp housing all clear up like new.and they said that the uv light from the sun deteriorate the plastic head lamp housing overtime. I look at youttube for more info. about DIY head lamp housing restoration.
I think about this 2015 RX350 only 4 year old already have this problem that tell me the Lexus quality going down hill.
Old 08-22-19, 02:38 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Non
Are you sure it's fogging on the inside?
Looking at your pictures I think it may be oxidation on the outside, because there are no droplets, just milky fog.
Try applying some regular car wax to the light and buff it good. If the fog gets better, its on the outside, and can be fixed permanently fairly easy.
+1. I think on the outside
The following users liked this post:
lexuspleus (02-25-20)
Old 08-22-19, 02:39 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Your best bet is this to prevent in the future. https://www.weathertech.com/lexus/2015/rx/lampgard/
Old 08-22-19, 02:50 PM
VictPatman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MellonC00
+1. I think on the outside
It's on the outside. Lexus dealer do it for free as I complaint only 4 years car already fogging and the technician only take him half an hours buff it up like new again.
Old 02-24-20, 01:20 PM
PaulaB
Driver School Candidate

Is it possible to add this silicone without removing the entire headlight assembly? I'm having a moisture issue in my rx330. Also, can the HID lights be replaced with LEDs? Wondering if that might help prevent the bulbs burning out should the moisture return? Thank you

Quick Reply: 2015 RX350 Head lamp housing inside fogging