Notices
RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to use 2nd gen rims as winters

 
Old 05-11-19, 10:45 PM
  #1  
Geebr200
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to use 2nd gen rims as winters

I know I know too early to think about winter but I was wondering if 2nd gen 17 inch rims would fit on a 2014.

I think the 2nd gen is a 17x6.5 and stock on the 2014 is 18x7.

Thanks
Geebr200 is offline  
Old 05-12-19, 06:52 AM
  #2  
Kansas
Lexus Champion
 
Kansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,234
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

It's never too early to plan - especially in Saskatchewan! I always buy winter wheels and tires in Spring or early Summer when demand is low.

The gen 2 RX wheels should fit since they have the same 35 mm offset. Wheels that also fit, have a 35 mm offset, look very similar and might be easier to find are the standard 17 inch 5-spoke wheels from the 2011-up (gen 3) Toyota Sienna. They look like this: https://www.wheelsandcaps.com/p-2114...7x7-69584.aspx

Gen 2 Toyota Highlander 17" wheels will also fit - they look like this: https://www.wheelsandcaps.com/p-5122...x75-69580.aspx

There are likely other wheels that will fit your 2010 RX fine.

Wheels and Caps is where I buy refurbished wheels for winter use. Their refurbished wheels are like brand new.
Kansas is offline  
Old 05-12-19, 10:53 AM
  #3  
Geebr200
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
It's never too early to plan - especially in Saskatchewan! I always buy winter wheels and tires in Spring or early Summer when demand is low.

The gen 2 RX wheels should fit since they have the same 35 mm offset. Wheels that also fit, have a 35 mm offset, look very similar and might be easier to find are the standard 17 inch 5-spoke wheels from the 2011-up (gen 3) Toyota Sienna. They look like this: https://www.wheelsandcaps.com/p-2114...7x7-69584.aspx

Gen 2 Toyota Highlander 17" wheels will also fit - they look like this: https://www.wheelsandcaps.com/p-5122...x75-69580.aspx

There are likely other wheels that will fit your 2010 RX fine.

Wheels and Caps is where I buy refurbished wheels for winter use. Their refurbished wheels are like brand new.
Thanks for the prompt response!
Geebr200 is offline  
Old 05-14-19, 10:45 AM
  #4  
coachz
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 28
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Keep in mind your tire size will change. There are spec sheets and also tire size calculators to get you something as close to original diameter as possible. Of course you can always go slightly larger, depending on what size tire you want and what is available and within budget. The last tires I had on my frontier I went up a size and they were less expensive. Same with the last set I put on the RX, but got a lucky find on CL.
coachz is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 12:46 PM
  #5  
Geebr200
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

So the 2nd gen is 17x6.5, would the 235 width tire fit?
Geebr200 is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 04:52 PM
  #6  
Kansas
Lexus Champion
 
Kansas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Kansas
Posts: 3,234
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Geebr200 View Post
So the 2nd gen is 17x6.5, would the 235 width tire fit?
A 6.5 inch width wheel is a little low but a 235 width tire will fit The outsides of the tire tread might have less contact with the road/snow surface due to the narrower wheel width lifting/rolling the outside tire edges upward and inward but the tread with on most winter tires is narrower by up to one inch anyway so that might matter less.. A Tire Rack page explains it better than I can: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=198

A 7 or 7.5 inch wheel width would be better for a 235 width tire. Opinions vary and, as the Tire Rack article mentions, car makers sometimes depart from common wisdom.

The widest tire I've used on a 6.5 inch wide wheel were 225 width tires on my first Lexus (1990) LS400 maybe 27 or 28 years ago. When the LS400 started coming from the factory with 225 width tires beginning with the 1993 model year, wheel width was increased to 7 inches. Apparently Toyota/Lexus saw the need to increase wheel width to 7 inches for the 225 width tires.

I suggest that you research this question on a variety of tire and wheel websites and also ask your local tire installer. Opinions vary.
Kansas is offline  
Old 05-16-19, 05:05 PM
  #7  
Geebr200
Driver School Candidate
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Kansas View Post
A 6.5 inch width wheel is a little low but a 235 width tire will fit The outsides of the tire tread might have less contact with the road/snow surface due to the narrower wheel width lifting/rolling the outside tire edges upward and inward but the tread with on most winter tires is narrower by up to one inch anyway so that might matter less.. A Tire Rack page explains it better than I can: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=198

A 7 or 7.5 inch wheel width would be better for a 235 width tire. Opinions vary and, as the Tire Rack article mentions, car makers sometimes depart from common wisdom.

The widest tire I've used on a 6.5 inch wide wheel were 225 width tires on my first Lexus (1990) LS400 maybe 27 or 28 years ago. When the LS400 started coming from the factory with 225 width tires beginning with the 1993 model year, wheel width was increased to 7 inches. Apparently Toyota/Lexus saw the need to increase wheel width to 7 inches for the 225 width tires.

I suggest that you research this question on a variety of tire and wheel websites and also ask your local tire installer. Opinions vary.
Well I actually found a 2nd Gen set of OEM rims and did more research that its 17x6.5 rather a 7 or 7.5. Typically the closest tire size to OEM is 235/65/17(within 0.5%) and 225/65/17(within 2.5%) but better suited for the 6.5 rim width.

But now I am questioning if the 17x6.5 would fit the 3rd gen
https://www.wheelsandcaps.com/p-2095...x65-74170.aspx
Geebr200 is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: