RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Issues with a CPO 2015 RX 350

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-19, 09:38 AM
RageFked
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Issues with a CPO 2015 RX 350

Hello,

So my father bought this 2015 RX350 back in late January of this year and I mostly drive it. And I've been noticing some issues that are annoying me extremely and I was wondering if I should take it to Lexus or just balance the tires and etc.

Issue #1 - There are a lot of rattles near the front roof area when going over bumps. Like it really makes me get annoyed.

Issue #2 - The pedals vibrate A LOT when reaching near 80mph and above. Around 75, I can drive smooth but any faster and it feels like leg is getting one of those electrical massage.

Issue #3 - Now this has happened in 3 different days/occasions. I hear some clicking sound from the front driver side of the wheel/hood when driving around 35-45mph. It's not AC related since the AC was off on two of those times. The last time it happened (yesterday), I pulled over and inspected my tires and found a rock stuck between the treads of the wheels. So I took it out and the sound was gone. However, could it be a different reason since it happens occasionally?

It's still under Lexus warranty but I just want some insights before I go to the dealership with these issues.

Old 04-25-19, 11:41 AM
coachz
Driver School Candidate

#1- Not Sure
#2 - Do you notice any pull when you are driving? Could be an alignment or wheel balance. I was surprised that one of my wheels was bent when I had new tires installed. I was told if it was in the front, I would feel it. Dealer or any reputable shop would know. I usually go to Discount Tire. Also, not sure if it could be a culprit, but there was a recall on the pedal due to it getting stuck. You can check online if it applies to your vehicle. Took mine in after purchase and dealer adjusted it.
#3 - Could just be rocks getting thrown into the inner fender. I believe by 2015 the steering wheel bearing issue had been fixed.
Old 04-25-19, 12:32 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Sounds like bad tires or tires badly in need of re-balancing. Or a bent wheel. Or a bad wheel bearing or CV joint. You did not state how many miles were on it. Just take all your complaints back to the dealer since you have warranty coverage.
Old 04-25-19, 04:38 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sometimes it's better not to know exactly what the problem is and let the dealer do the diagnosis.
Anyways...
#1. For me, that was the sunroof bolts that needed tightening.
2. Had same thing in mine. Except it felt like the whole car to me. But at exactly same speed you mentioned. Turned out to be the rear trailing arm. Also get a balance and allignment afterwards and make sure they center the wheel.
3. I'd just keep an eye on this one and see if it continues. The rocks make sense to me.
Old 04-25-19, 09:04 PM
RageFked
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by coachz
#1- Not Sure
#2 - Do you notice any pull when you are driving? Could be an alignment or wheel balance. I was surprised that one of my wheels was bent when I had new tires installed. I was told if it was in the front, I would feel it. Dealer or any reputable shop would know. I usually go to Discount Tire. Also, not sure if it could be a culprit, but there was a recall on the pedal due to it getting stuck. You can check online if it applies to your vehicle. Took mine in after purchase and dealer adjusted it.
#3 - Could just be rocks getting thrown into the inner fender. I believe by 2015 the steering wheel bearing issue had been fixed.
Not sure what exactly you mean by 'pull', but if you mean 'galloping' like a horse, no I don't think so. I checked for any recall on my specific VIN and there was none. I guess a trip to the dealership will get everything sorted.

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Sounds like bad tires or tires badly in need of re-balancing. Or a bent wheel. Or a bad wheel bearing or CV joint. You did not state how many miles were on it. Just take all your complaints back to the dealer since you have warranty coverage.
I was thinking it could be a bent wheel since I once drove over a big pothole in DC. But later wiped that thought off my mind. The mileage is at 43.5k right now. It was bought at 41.2k miles. A bent wheel is surely not covered under basic warranty, but would they charge me for re-balancing? It would be my first visit for an issue and I'm completely lost. Also I assume CV joint and wheel bearings would be covered under warranty?

Originally Posted by 14RX350
Sometimes it's better not to know exactly what the problem is and let the dealer do the diagnosis.
Anyways...
#1. For me, that was the sunroof bolts that needed tightening.
2. Had same thing in mine. Except it felt like the whole car to me. But at exactly same speed you mentioned. Turned out to be the rear trailing arm. Also get a balance and allignment afterwards and make sure they center the wheel.
3. I'd just keep an eye on this one and see if it continues. The rocks make sense to me.
I'll take a look into the sunroof bolts on my car. A lot of people say it's the rubber seal? So I'm not sure exactly what it could be. However, the bolts seem like an easier inspection and I'll definitely do that tomorrow.

Also, I do have some vibration in the driver's door panel/window when braking/low speed/stopped. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I know I'm asking a lot of questions and honestly, I'm VERY new to all this 'warranty' type issues. I'm sorry if I'm annoying anyone.
Old 04-25-19, 09:26 PM
14RX350
Driver

The headliner needs to be taken down to get to the bolts. Again, I'd just leave that to the dealer. It's their problem. But if you do a DIY and break something, you'll be paying the bill on that repair.
Old 04-26-19, 12:54 PM
RageFked
Driver School Candidate

The headliner needs to be taken down to get to the bolts. Again, I'd just leave that to the dealer. It's their problem. But if you do a DIY and break something, you'll be paying the bill on that repair.
Aha, I thought it would be along the rails of the sunroof. Do you think these issues require immediate maintenance? I'm at ~43.5k miles and I have a 45k service maintenance coming up in about 1.5 months so I was wondering if getting everything resolved then would be fine. I just don't want the possibility of a bent rim to damage other parts.
Old 04-27-19, 05:21 AM
14RX350
Driver

Originally Posted by RageFked
Aha, I thought it would be along the rails of the sunroof. Do you think these issues require immediate maintenance? I'm at ~43.5k miles and I have a 45k service maintenance coming up in about 1.5 months so I was wondering if getting everything resolved then would be fine. I just don't want the possibility of a bent rim to damage other parts.
Honestly, I dont know. My best guess would be that it can wait. But of course it's generally a good practice to get things taken care of promptly because, as you brought up, everything is connected and it could wear or effect other parts. You could just go in for your service early. Might be nice just to get everything addressed.
I think that's a good idea combining services with warranty work. I feel like dealerships are more willing to spend the time investigating warranty work if they're also making some easy money from maintenance work like oil changes, etc..
Old 04-27-19, 10:31 AM
RageFked
Driver School Candidate

Honestly, I dont know. My best guess would be that it can wait. But of course it's generally a good practice to get things taken care of promptly because, as you brought up, everything is connected and it could wear or effect other parts. You could just go in for your service early. Might be nice just to get everything addressed.
I think that's a good idea combining services with warranty work. I feel like dealerships are more willing to spend the time investigating warranty work if they're also making some easy money from maintenance work like oil changes, etc..
I'll probably take it in at 44k for the servicing. I should reach that in the next two weeks. Also, the dealership won't be making any money from me on the first 4 service. It's all free for the first 4, servicing on the certified cars (definitely worth the certification in this case. Without certification, the first 4 servicing would have cost at least 4k according to Lexus). But I really appreciate your input! Thanks!
Old 04-29-19, 03:34 PM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

1. roof rails?
2 & 3. lower knuckle, sway bar links,half shafts defective?

i don't know what CPO warranties are but alot of this might be 'wear and tear'

Last edited by daddiojigg; 04-29-19 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added
Old 05-05-19, 08:31 PM
RadiantX45
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

75 - 80 mph is fast, you're bound to get some sort of vibration at that speed are you coming from a Mercedes or what? Where in Maryland can you go faster than 70 mph? Might need an alignment or the tires might need to be balanced - but i bet it's just the way the car is.

Keep in mind you still bought a used car, CPO or not it's been used - rattles exist in some way or another in every car.

If you do take it into the dealer pinpoint EXACTLY where the rattles are coming from before you hand your car off. 99% a car will come out of the shop with more rattles than it went in with.

ALSO, the people who will be working on the car are not Lexus engineers - they are Lexus Mechanics - who make absolutely 0 money working on your rattle problem and will give it a corresponding amount of effort to fix. Just so you know, warranty work pays pretty much half of an out of pocket job so they give warranty jobs to the most inexperienced mechanic in the shop. Keep that in mind if you ever want to take your car in for warranty work.

Also, don't take your car in because you once heard a rock stuck in your tire.

Anyway if you do take it in. LMK what they say
Old 05-05-19, 08:45 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

When you/your_dad bought the CPO he prepaid for the services and the warranty [The price has these built in].

As you make the service appointment, make sure you tell the service writer the issues you are having so that they may allocate appropriate time to look into the issues.

Salim