RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Oil change filter question

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-19, 06:08 AM
OG Member
Lead Lap

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I totally agree with you

Lexus could have designed the oil filter housing to sit "on top side of the engine" like most of the European car manufacturers. I've owned several MB's, including the MB AMG variants. Even on the AMG's the oil filter sits right on top of the engine bay and changing the oil filter is easy peasy. MB officially recommends the oil extraction method with a pump by sticking a catheter down the oil dip stick hole and suck the oil out. So don't even need to jack up the car and get underneath if you don't want to. Even with the "easier oil change methods", MB dealership still charges an arm and a leg for oil changes!!

The only Lexus with oil filter(s) on top side in the engine bay is the LFA (2 oil filters as I recall).
What's even more interesting is Toyota incorporates an oil filter top side on several models including the newer generation Tacoma, 4Runner, and discontinued FJ Cruiser. My guess is that this is to reduce the chances of the oil filter being 'bumped' or 'punctured' in off-road use examples?
Old 05-20-19, 10:20 AM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OG Member
What's even more interesting is Toyota incorporates an oil filter top side on several models including the newer generation Tacoma, 4Runner, and discontinued FJ Cruiser. My guess is that this is to reduce the chances of the oil filter being 'bumped' or 'punctured' in off-road use examples?

Old 06-06-19, 02:59 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

Just finished my first engine oil & filter change on my wife's 2015 RX350 as part of the 40,000-mile service. Happy to report that the little drain disk at the bottom of the oil filter canister easily unscrewed from the canister using a 3/8-inch socket drive extension. Popped the little plastic drain tube in there and allowed the canister to finish draining after I had already drained the oil pan. I then unscrewed the canister using my Motivx 64mm oil filter wrench cap on the same 3/8-inch socket drive extension. It also unscrewed rather easily. I attribute the ease of unscrewing the oil pan drain plug (14mm), the little drain disk, and the oil filter canister to this vehicle always being serviced by the same Lexus dealership it was originally leased from in West Palm Beach, Florida prior to it being shipped here to North Carolina in 2018. Removed the old oil filter paper element and discarded it, replaced the two canister rubber O-rings that come with the new paper element, popped the new paper element inside the canister, wiped the various exterior surfaces clean, then put everything back together and gently torqued it down. I did lift the vehicle's front end with my floor jack to make access underneath the vehicle much easier.

I then lowered the vehicle back to ground level and added 6.5 quarts of Mobil 1 0W-20 as required and took the vehicle for a ten-mile test drive with no issues. I will check the oil level again in the morning to ensure that all is well.

Thanks again to Clutchless for providing the oil change videos above. They made it easy for me to know what to expect on my first oil & filter change job on this vehicle. It is definitely messier than changing a conventional oil filter, but it is relatively simple as long as the various components are not cranked down gorilla-tight with the various wrenches required.

Last edited by RX in NC; 06-06-19 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-18-19, 02:08 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Just did two oil changes today, one on the wife's 2012 RX450h and then the BIL's 2009 RX350. The little disc underneath the main oil filter housing was siezed on the BIL's.

Couldn't get it off even with a strap wrench on the filter cap. I was the person worked on both cars, and I always make it a point not to over tighten the little disc.

So I'm a bit puzzled by why it was easy to spin off on one of the cars, but siezed on tight on the other. No one else has done an oil change on these two vehicles.

Goes to show that sometimes it's not the mechanic at the Lexus service center overtightening the disc which causes it to be stuck on tight.
Old 08-18-19, 06:09 AM
daddiojigg
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Listen to Clutch

The easiest and cleanest way to do these is by following the instructions.Push through and do it the right way. Once you've done it the what it was intended it will be easier all the times after that.
There are two ways that taking the small disk out is difficult: 1. Disk was tightened more than housing
2. New O-ring was not lubed upon installation and rubber ring is holding onto underside of disk

If you can't budge the disk but can get the housing out, put it in a vice and take disk out from there. Again, put in new O-ring and lube it up. Should be easy from then on.
Old 08-20-19, 04:30 PM
lexuspleus
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a side question related to all this....seeing how complex this whole job is,, would any of you trust a drive thru lube shop to do an oil change on the RX?
Old 08-20-19, 05:27 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Hell no !!!

If you do, this will cost you more !!

Originally Posted by lexuspleus
i have a side question related to all this....seeing how complex this whole job is,, would any of you trust a drive thru lube shop to do an oil change on the rx?
Old 08-21-19, 04:33 AM
RX in NC
Racer

For the last 40+ years, my philosophy regarding working on our vehicles has been that the only person who will take the time to do the job 100% correctly is ME.
The following users liked this post:
cookie4u (08-21-19)
Old 08-21-19, 05:09 AM
cookie4u
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
For the last 40+ years, my philosophy regarding working on our vehicles has been that the only person who will take the time to do the job 100% correctly is ME.

^^THIS^^

It's why other than a major repair requiring a lift, I do all the work myself. It's cheaper and my labor isn't dependent on getting the car in and out as fast as possible.
Old 08-21-19, 06:05 AM
Non
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Quick lube places are known for shabby work. From "hidden camera" videos we know that they don't always actually change the oil, an when they do, they use cheap bulk oil of unknown specs.

But the dealer, or a good local independent shop will do a good job. I noticed that the full service shops in my area all want to do oil changes. I trust them.
Old 08-21-19, 10:41 AM
VictPatman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
I totally agree with your ideal DIY as much as you can do but some repair need a host lift up the car to work on the problem and also safe for yourself.
Especially in winter time too cold to do any work on the car even a simple oil change.
Then, some time if I don't have time or too cold in winter to do the oil change for my car and my wife car, I just bring the car to Walmart as they allow me to bring 0W20 oil and filter for them to do the dirty job, they just charge me $20 Canadian dollars labor + used oil disposal fee. I think it's fair deal and I watch them to do the oil change through the shop window. As Rx 350 need 6.5 quarts oil, I brought two jigs of Mobil 1 for them and they return the left over unused oil in the jig. Next time I just buy only one jig of Mobil1 0W20 oil.and use the left over oil from last time.
Old 08-22-19, 04:59 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Glad it works for you, but I simply do not trust the local Walmarts / Jiffy Lubes to do any work on our vehicles. Too many "techs" who were probably flipping burgers for a living just a month or so ago.