RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

OEM front suspension assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-19, 11:16 AM
Chigger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM front suspension assembly?

I believe the first owner purchased some cheap aftermarket full (front) suspension assembly, I am looking for a place that sells used front suspension assembly for my wife's 2010... does anyone know where I can buy a pair? I even checked Ebay.

thanks in advance!
Old 01-25-19, 04:26 PM
seboshka
Driver School Candidate

OMG - what a coincidence. The person that just did my front end took apart the shock tower from my original parts 2010 Hybrid...would those help you out at all if I go and get them from his dumpster on Monday?

One was leaking, the other one was still good I believe.
Old 01-25-19, 08:48 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

I would stay clear from used suspension parts. Why would any one remove them to begin with? Best you can do is by visiting pull-a-part from after accident vehicles, but you have to find undamaged part. In that case too, you have to study the angle of impact and how it could have impacted the part of interest.

With suspension parts, you will need alignment.

Salim
Old 01-25-19, 10:17 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Chigger
I believe the first owner purchased some cheap aftermarket full (front) suspension assembly, I am looking for a place that sells used front suspension assembly for my wife's 2010... does anyone know where I can buy a pair? I even checked Ebay.

thanks in advance!
​​​​​​They probably put one of those Monroe quick strut kits on that has the strut and spring already assembled. Those generally aren't a good idea, as you've realized. I would recommend getting some new struts. You can get them for about $50/piece. You might look up the part number for the springs and then look on eBay once u know the part number to search, or of course a junkyard.
Old 01-26-19, 06:20 AM
seboshka
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Chigger

thanks in advance!
Chigger, just let me know if you want at least one of mine. One was good, the other was not. They have 127k on them. but could last much longer, it's just that I changed one of them because it had a leak.
Old 01-26-19, 06:58 AM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by 14RX350
​​​​​​They probably put one of those Monroe quick strut kits on that has the strut and spring already assembled. Those generally aren't a good idea, as you've realized. I would recommend getting some new struts. You can get them for about $50/piece. You might look up the part number for the springs and then look on eBay once u know the part number to search, or of course a junkyard.
I had over 2 years on Monroe Quick Strut and it was the best strut assembly I ever had as replacement. I sold car with them, without slightest issue. Also, far I know, Monroe does not make QS for RX models. Neither does KYB. Nor Tokico.

OP, just an observation. "suspension parts" is a vast array of components, not just struts.
There's extensive struts replacement thread in the 2nd generation subforum.. could be useful.
Old 01-26-19, 10:43 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I haven't used them personally, just going off of what I've heard. I know that the springs on Lexus are generally pretty good, so I would want to stick with them. Monroe does make a quick strut for the RX350.
Old 01-26-19, 02:09 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

There are also cheap unbranded Chinese ones on eBay that may have been the junk that was installed. For quality used Lexus parts call these folks http://www.rancholexusrecycling.com/

I would stil consider replacing with new struts, even if getting a used assembly as it will be easy to swap them when they are already out of the vehicle. You will need an alignment afterward.
Old 01-27-19, 05:22 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

I would never roll the dice by installing used suspension components. Just not worth risking all the problems that could arise as a result.