RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tire Pressure Sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-19, 04:05 PM
tranft
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Sensor issue

My TPMS warning light came on. I thought I had a slow leak as I kept filling up the RR tire. Brought into America's tire and they said no issue with tire. However they did say it appears 2 TPMS sensors are out? They said they tried a reset but it did not help.
If I plug in my OBD device would it identify which TPMS is bad?
They said if I bring in my own replacement TPMS they will replace it for $10/labor . Otherwise I could buy it from them for $60/each plus $10 labor.
It is a 2010 model so almost 9 years....not sure how long the batteries last in the TPMS.
Recommendations? TIA
Old 01-19-19, 04:52 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

They may be correct. I have read that typical TPMS battery life for most manufacturers is 7 to 8 years.
Old 01-19-19, 05:11 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by tranft
My TPMS warning light came on. I thought I had a slow leak as I kept filling up the RR tire. Brought into America's tire and they said no issue with tire. However they did say it appears 2 TPMS sensors are out? They said they tried a reset but it did not help.
If I plug in my OBD device would it identify which TPMS is bad?
They said if I bring in my own replacement TPMS they will replace it for $10/labor . Otherwise I could buy it from them for $60/each plus $10 labor.
It is a 2010 model so almost 9 years....not sure how long the batteries last in the TPMS.
Recommendations? TIA
I have an 06 SC430 that I just replaced all of the sensors this past year. None of them had gone bad but I was getting new tires and I thought "How much longer can they last". So I replaced them when the new tires were put on. The previous post is correct. The stated life span is about 8 years. Many people do get more, but it is not out of the realm of possibility that you have two with bad batteries at this point.
By the way, the OBD port will not communicate with the TPMS. You have to have TechStream to do that.

Last edited by iolmaster; 01-19-19 at 09:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by iolmaster:
Touaregman (11-18-22), tranft (01-25-19)
Old 01-19-19, 07:30 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

We also have a 2010, but non-nav, rx350. IIRC, the 450h gives you actual location of each tpms sensor. Mine doesn't. Using a commie techstream, it only tells me which sensor number is bad, but not where that sensor is positioned. I had to let out some air each tire one by one to find what sensor is what.

If you're on your original sensors, I'd replace all of them given age of your vehicle. Sensor batteries and rubber seals just don't last in the desert where we live, ymmv depending on your location. We replaced ours about 3-4 years ago.

Last edited by afpj; 01-19-19 at 07:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
tranft (01-25-19)
Old 01-19-19, 11:10 PM
kat2858
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had my sensors replaced on my 2010 RX at Costco last week. The cost for four non-OEM sensors:

sensors 179.96
tax 17.10
installation 56.00

Total 253.06
The following 2 users liked this post by kat2858:
tranft (01-25-19), zmel (01-13-22)
Old 01-20-19, 04:50 AM
RX in NC
Racer

What if any recalibration is required after the TPMS sensors are replaced?

And why not replace just the batteries?
Old 01-20-19, 05:51 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by RX in NC
What if any recalibration is required after the TPMS sensors are replaced?

And why not replace just the batteries?
No calibration is required and you cannot replace the batteries. The units are sealed.
Old 01-20-19, 08:14 AM
JerseyJim
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a procedure for setting the TPMS threshold levels with the ECU.

First set the tire pressures to the proper level with an accurate tire pressure gauge. Turn the engine on, then press and hold the reset button. You'll find it low and to the right of the steering wheel underneath of the instrument panel. Hold the button down until the TPMS indicator light in the instrument panel blinks slowly 3 three times.

The TPMS indicator light will then come on anytime the tire pressure drops 20% or more from the levels set using the above procedure.
Old 01-20-19, 09:24 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Originally Posted by JerseyJim

First set the tire pressures to the proper level with an accurate tire pressure gauge. Turn the engine on, then press and hold the reset button. You'll find it low and to the right of the steering wheel underneath of the instrument panel. Hold the button down until the TPMS indicator light in the instrument panel blinks slowly 3 three times.

The TPMS indicator light will then come on anytime the tire pressure drops 20% or more from the levels set using the above procedure.
I certainly can't say you are wrong, but it make no sense that you would be able to do this. The government mandated certain pressures and it is hard to believe that the end user can change it. If you wouldn't mind, can you please provide some independent documentation that supports being able to do this.
Old 01-20-19, 09:38 AM
JerseyJim
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I certainly can't say you are wrong, but it make no sense that you would be able to do this. The government mandated certain pressures and it is hard to believe that the end user can change it. If you wouldn't mind, can you please provide some independent documentation that supports being able to do this.
This is not independent documentation but rather a direct quote from my 2015 Lexus RX350 owner's manual Pg. 685:

Initializing the tire pressure warning system
The tire pressure warning system must be initialized in the following
circumstances:
●When rotating the tires
●When the tire inflation pressure is changed such as when changing
travelling speed or load weight
●When changing the tire size
When the tire pressure warning system is initialized, the current tire
inflation pressure is set as the benchmark pressure.
Old 01-20-19, 09:49 AM
RX in NC
Racer

^^ And that is exactly why I asked the question regarding recalibration of the TPMS system in another thread about a week ago pertaining to tire rotations. I read this same passage in our 2015 RX350 owners manual. It led me to believe that whenever I rotate my tires, I will have to recalibrate the system.
Old 01-20-19, 09:52 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyJim

^^^
This is a true statement.
Not sure about the 20% but mine trips if it looses ~8psi from set pressure.
Toy/Lex equipped with a tire reset button can actually set psi warning threshold.
I usually set my psi at 33.
Then reset the TPMS via reset button.
I then bump up the tire pressure to my desired psi (38psi for my GX)
This way, even if it drops to 30psi, it wont trigger the TPMS light.
It will trip when pressure drops to 25 since i set the threshold when psi was set at 33.
I do check my tire pressures weekly.

Here's a good read on how to set Toy/Lex TP.
http://alflash.com.ua/acadia/L-SB-01...Adjustment.pdf
Old 01-20-19, 09:56 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RX in NC
^^ And that is exactly why I asked the question regarding recalibration of the TPMS system in another thread about a week ago pertaining to tire rotations. I read this same passage in our 2015 RX350 owners manual. It led me to believe that whenever I rotate my tires, I will have to recalibrate the system.
^^^^
No you dont.
No re-calibrations needed for Toy/Lex TP sensors.
Just set tire pressure.
RX in NC (01-21-19)
Old 01-20-19, 09:58 AM
JerseyJim
Driver School Candidate

Tire Pressure Warning Reset switch location
tranft (01-25-19)
Old 01-20-19, 10:21 AM
JerseyJim
Driver School Candidate

I agree that the sensors themselves do not need calibration, but the system calibration may need to be reset from time to time. I found my TPMS warning light was illuminating and all of the pressures were set to the proper pressure as indicated on the label. I performed the reset procedure and the warning light went out. I then tested each tire by dropping the pressure by 25% and checking that the warning light came back on, then re-inflating to the proper pressure. I like to keep my pressure at 37 PSI vs. the 32 PSI indicated on the label. Fuel mileage is a bit better and the wear patterns on the tires do not seem to be affected.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Sensor issue