RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tire replacement or just wheel alignment is fine

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-18, 10:35 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Nothing surprising here, but the real question is unanswered ... what caused these numbers to be off? When new, every thing is set properly. Accidents, (including heavy curbing) bad roads and wear in the suspension moves the alignment.
Did they check the suspension? If you have to touch the suspension after alignment, you will be back for another alignment.

Salim.
Old 11-19-18, 10:45 AM
johnpau201
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Nothing surprising here, but the real question is unanswered ... what caused these numbers to be off? When new, every thing is set properly. Accidents, (including heavy curbing) bad roads and wear in the suspension moves the alignment.
Did they check the suspension? If you have to touch the suspension after alignment, you will be back for another alignment.

Salim.

No suspension check. They didn't.

This car has 55K miles.
I got it 3 years ago used when it had 33K miles on it.
No accidents except one small fender-bender at 5Mph speed.
Mostly city driving.

Old 11-19-18, 01:31 PM
johnpau201
Rookie

I'm reading online about Firestone Lifetime wheel Alignment reviews. I read some horrible stories Like Firestone using this alignment service as a bait to get customers repair other things.
Even though it is lifetime free, they ask you to buy some Camber kits during alignment and try to charge you.

I'm little nervous now to go to Firestone
Old 11-19-18, 01:58 PM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

While I have purchased tires from Firestone in the past (the last time was in June 2010), I would never trust them with doing an alignment on any of our vehicles. Far too much personnel turnover and minimal training for their so-called "techs". I stick with the two long-time trusted independent shops that I have utilized for many years. They do not make mistakes and therefore do not wind up giving my vehicle back to me with an alignment that is more out-of-spec than when I drove in.
Old 11-19-18, 02:48 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I know what you mean. You can always always turn down optional services. BTW, if your suspension system is truly needing additional work, you can always ask for a quote and seek second opinions elsewhere and make your decision. Or if what they have presented to you seemed reasonable to you AND you've been elsewhere already, then you can make an informed decision and save time.

In the last year or so Firestone has really gotten it's customer service on the right track.

Firestone has two company owned "test stores" in the Chicago IL area. These "test stores" are not only closely monitored by corporate, but also set examples for what Firestone is striving for. They are at St. Charles and Woodfield, IL. Call them up and ask for "free alignment check" similar to what you got from Sears. Nothing to loose, except for your time. I am not in the auto industry, but have gotten excellent service at multiple Firestone stores and I travel a lot.

Interesting article:

https://www.ttec.com/resources/artic...ber-meets-road
​​​​​

Originally Posted by johnpau201
I'm reading online about Firestone Lifetime wheel Alignment reviews. I read some horrible stories Like Firestone using this alignment service as a bait to get customers repair other things.
Even though it is lifetime free, they ask you to buy some Camber kits during alignment and try to charge you.

I'm little nervous now to go to Firestone

Last edited by lexusrus; 11-19-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-20-18, 06:33 AM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe Firestone stores are independently owned, so it really depends on the individual store. I had good experiences at the one I went to for the lifetime allignment years ago... it was a 20 year family owned/ operated store.
Old 11-20-18, 07:50 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

IDK, but from what I understand, most Firestone stores are "company owned" to better monitor and control quality and excellent customer service. True that there maybe some franchise independently owned. I maybe wrong though. But the two Firestone stores in the Chicago IL area are indeed "test Firestone company owned stores". Either way, I've always gotten excellent service at Firestone stores.

https://www.bridgestoneamericas.com/...ail-operations

>>>>>>>>>>>

Today, BSRO is headquartered in Nashville, Tenn., and operates the largest network of company-owned automotive service providers in the world — nearly 2,200 tire and vehicle service centers across the United States — including Firestone Complete Auto Care™, Tires Plus™, and Wheelworks™ store locations.

>>>>>>>>>>>>

​​​​​​

Originally Posted by 14RX350
I believe Firestone stores are independently owned, so it really depends on the individual store. I had good experiences at the one I went to for the lifetime allignment years ago... it was a 20 year family owned/ operated store.
Old 11-20-18, 09:00 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Folks:

It is ok to share personal good/bad experiences but let's not use this space to advertise/tar businesses.

I hate over-moderating, so please use your good judgment.

Salim
Old 11-20-18, 12:26 PM
johnpau201
Rookie

OK, here is an update from me(OP).

Yesterday night I got new tires installed at Costco.
Michelin Premier LTX 235/55R/19
All 4 tires installed, OTD final price $865.

Now its time for my alignment fix.

Still debating whether to go with NTB,Firestone or a local independent shop.

NTB also offer alignment for 1,3,5 year plan for $189. The 3 &5 year plan has option to transfer the lifetime alignment to another vehicle if needed( only once).

Firestone has the lifetime alignment for about $170 I guess.
Old 11-20-18, 10:24 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Glade to hear you got new tires.

Now the clock is ticking for you to get that alignment and suspension system check ASAP! BEFORE any abnormal wears to your brand new tires!!!

Let us know which shop you end up going.

DISCLAIMER: I am NOT in the automotive industry or anything related to it. Nor got any immediate family members in the above industry. I'm just a happy and satisfied customer of Firestone Stores.

OK, here is an update from me(OP).

Yesterday night I got new tires installed at Costco.
Michelin Premier LTX 235/55R/19
All 4 tires installed, OTD final price $865.

Now its time for my alignment fix.

Still debating whether to go with NTB,Firestone or a local independent shop.

NTB also offer alignment for 1,3,5 year plan for $189. The 3 &5 year plan has option to transfer the lifetime alignment to another vehicle if needed( only once).

Firestone has the lifetime alignment for about $170 I guess.
Old 11-21-18, 08:18 AM
johnpau201
Rookie

Here is an update from me (OP) regarding wheel alignment.

Yesterday evening I went to nearby Firestone. It was around 5.15PM and the store closes at 7PM.
I told the advisor that I'm here for lifetime alignment. He said it is $199 . I told him I have an online coupon
for $40. He said he didn't know that. He gave a quote for $199 - $40 (coupon) + $17 (for shop supplies) = Total $176.

He said it might take time, I said I'm OK and will wait.

Now the guy comes back after 15 minutes and says my lexus does not come with casters.
And he said its good to get the casters bolt or something, and he said it would cost $100+

I said I don't need that. Then I asked him for the alignment readings.
To my surprise the BEFORE and AFTER readings are same. So technically
they did not have to do anything. I know for sure the day before I got my new
tires when I went to sears auto and they showed readings which failed.
After Costco put new tires and now when I went to Firestone the alignment
readings show green. See pictures below of the report.

Now since the Firestone guy didn't have to do anything , he anyhow was
trying to sell the lifetime alignment . He said $159 out of the door price.

I bought it. But I'm not sure if the casters what he was mentioning to me
are really needed or not.

Old 11-21-18, 08:31 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 305 Posts

Some grand touring vehicles cannot have their camber/caster adjusted unless you spring for some ridiculously-priced eccentric bolts which usually do not change the angles enough to make any difference in treadwear patterns. My wife's 2006 Jaguar XK8 Victory Edition convertible is like that. Only the toe can be adjusted by the typical alignment shops. Reason No. 147 why I always stick to my two long-time trusted independent alignment shops who truly know their business.

The good news regarding my wife's XK8 is that now with 117,750 miles on the car, it has only needed one minor toe alignment during our nearly 7-year ownership period. It stays within specs better than any vehicle I have ever owned during more than 49 years of driving.
Old 11-21-18, 02:46 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

If everything is within specs, then it's all good.

He was just doing his "job" trying to sell you "stuff".

If you want, you can go to another "Firestone store" (one of the two company owned "test/lab stores in the greater Chicago area) in about two weeks or so for a "check up" due to all the pot holes in the roads........ This should be at no charge since you got the "lifetime alignment". But ask to make sure before they put your car on the rack. Watch them do it and get another print out.

Another thing to keep in mind.......if you PRIMARILY drive the RX350 in city traffic with a lot of parking lot turns and stop and go PLUS lots of parrallel parking manuevers.......your front tires will likely wear unevenly.

From this point on....... watch your tire wear closely. Any abnormal tire wear, go back and get the alignment redone. Also rotate the tires every 5K miles or sooner. Worst case scenario, if the alignment is still "off" and there are abnormal tire wears......demand a "refund"...... This is where the "company Firestone store" can help you.

Just so you know.......last year I took my MB SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE to Firestone store (same shop who did my Lexus RCF) and without any hesitation they said they can not do my MB due to the fact that MB specifies a certain protocol (e.g. full tank of gas and etc. Maybe just BS they are telling me?, IDK)........ OR maybe they did not have the software? IDK. Or that MB by factory design WILL have uneven tire wear no matter what due to the way the OEM setup for "better handling"? Or it was just too complex for them to do (another Firestone store declined my LX570)? IDK. But the fact that they "DID" your RX350, then as a consumer it is understood that they knew the specs and how to do the alignment for your RX350.

PLEASE keep us posted.

Here is an update from me (OP) regarding wheel alignment.

Yesterday evening I went to nearby Firestone. It was around 5.15PM and the store closes at 7PM.
I told the advisor that I'm here for lifetime alignment. He said it is $199 . I told him I have an online coupon
for $40. He said he didn't know that. He gave a quote for $199 - $40 (coupon) + $17 (for shop supplies) = Total $176.

He said it might take time, I said I'm OK and will wait.

Now the guy comes back after 15 minutes and says my lexus does not come with casters.
And he said its good to get the casters bolt or something, and he said it would cost $100+

I said I don't need that. Then I asked him for the alignment readings.
To my surprise the BEFORE and AFTER readings are same. So technically
they did not have to do anything. I know for sure the day before I got my new
tires when I went to sears auto and they showed readings which failed.
After Costco put new tires and now when I went to Firestone the alignment
readings show green. See pictures below of the report.

Now since the Firestone guy didn't have to do anything , he anyhow was
trying to sell the lifetime alignment . He said $159 out of the door price.

I bought it. But I'm not sure if the casters what he was mentioning to me
are really needed or not.
Old 11-21-18, 03:27 PM
johnpau201
Rookie

Thanks Lexusrus for all your help. Appreciate it.

I will keep watching the tires pressure monthly, wear, rotation &wheel balance regularly at Costco. And alignment at Firestone as well.

The Firestone rep was telling you need alignment only every 10-12K miles. May be now I have lifetime plan, they don't want me to come more often
Old 11-21-18, 03:43 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I'll dig up the alignment print out for our RX450h and see when I get back home. I'm still up on the air right now. Landing soon.

​​​​
Thanks Lexusrus for all your help. Appreciate it.

I will keep watching the tires pressure monthly, wear, rotation &wheel balance regularly at Costco. And alignment at Firestone as well.

The Firestone rep was telling you need alignment only every 10-12K miles. May be now I have lifetime plan, they don't want me to come more often

Quick Reply: Tire replacement or just wheel alignment is fine