RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

I hate Sirius and how they control my radio in lexus 350rx. How do I get control back

Old 09-28-18, 02:27 PM
SICKOFSIRI
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hate Sirius and how they control my radio in lexus 350rx. How do I get control back

2014 RX350 has had Sirius Sat. radio however I was NOT made aware that if I did not continue with this "con-artist" company (just read the BBB complaints) ; I would not have access to my radio without their constant interference of ads and manipulation. Does Toyota or Lexus own Sirius? Now that Pandora no longer works due to Sirius taking it over, is there a replacement radio available to install on our car? I would have insisted Lexus remove this junk before buying it new and paying top $ for the navigation package.
Old 09-28-18, 02:42 PM
OoAaronoO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not exactly sure what your looking to do.. but couldn't you just use the regular radio or usb/Bluetooth pandora?
Old 09-28-18, 02:53 PM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by SICKOFSIRI
2014 RX350 has had Sirius Sat. radio however I was NOT made aware that if I did not continue with this "con-artist" company (just read the BBB complaints) ; I would not have access to my radio without their constant interference of ads and manipulation. Does Toyota or Lexus own Sirius? Now that Pandora no longer works due to Sirius taking it over, is there a replacement radio available to install on our car? I would have insisted Lexus remove this junk before buying it new and paying top $ for the navigation package.
First of all, this is the 4RX forum (2016 and newer). Second of all, Sirius/XM satellite radio is just one of the Audio Modes on your car stereo. If your subscription expires, there's nothing stopping you from just listening to FM (and HD-FM, which imho, sounds way better than Sirius/XM) and AM radios. You can also stream audio from your phone via Bluetooth if you really want to - you can then use Spotify or whatever other streaming service you desire.

I personally don't use Sirius/XM much since the sound quality is deplorable compared to the other methods. Even when your subscription expires, Sirius/XM usually gives a free "trial" period every once in a while

And no, Toyota does not own Sirius/XM. It's a different company that provides satellite radio service for all cars and radio devices.
Old 09-28-18, 03:54 PM
daffydd
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hard to figure out exactly what your problem is, where you are encountering "interference" and "manipulation." SiriusXM is a paid subscription radio service. If you don't wish to subscribe you ignore it by not selecting "SAT" from the sources menu. Problem solved.
Old 09-28-18, 04:04 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 608 Likes on 458 Posts

Strange rant. I got rid of them as soon as the free trial ended. Their biggest issue is compression. This makes for music that is un-listenable, especially if you have ML audio. Pandora, which I actually used, upsets me that it's being removed from Enform. I will probably just drop them and pick Slacker back up. I was paying for both to get better sound quality and no commercials. I guess I quit the wrong one. Now, back to your rant. What exactly is it that causes you all this grief? Maybe you don't realize you have more sources than just SiriusXM and Pandora.
Old 09-28-18, 04:27 PM
daffydd
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike728
Strange rant. I got rid of them as soon as the free trial ended. Their biggest issue is compression. This makes for music that is un-listenable, especially if you have ML audio. Pandora, which I actually used, upsets me that it's being removed from Enform. I will probably just drop them and pick Slacker back up. I was paying for both to get better sound quality and no commercials. I guess I quit the wrong one. Now, back to your rant. What exactly is it that causes you all this grief? Maybe you don't realize you have more sources than just SiriusXM and Pandora.
You speak for yourself, of course. I have SiriusXM on ML audio and I like the sound just fine (classical, jazz, and public radio for the most part, commercial-free, as are all music channels). As for Pandora, it is in flux, having been purchased by SiriusXM. So it's not as if Toyota simply dropped it on a whim. One can't rule out the possibility that Pandora will be back when it's all sorted out.

I would like to see Spotify come to Lexus/Toyota app suites. It's the best streaming music service for me.
Old 09-28-18, 04:32 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by daffydd
You speak for yourself, of course. I have SiriusXM on ML audio and I like the sound just fine (classical, jazz, and public radio for the most part, commercial-free, as are all music channels). As for Pandora, it is in flux, having been purchased by SiriusXM. So it's not as if Toyota simply dropped it on a whim. One can't rule out the possibility that Pandora will be back when it's all sorted out.

I would like to see Spotify come to Lexus/Toyota app suites. It's the best streaming music service for me.
I do not speak for myself on SiriusXM sound quality via sat. It's well known. Pandora was not dropped by Toyota, but by the 3rd party that controls the content.
Old 09-28-18, 07:41 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by daffydd

We do have Spotify on the Lexus apps.
Old 09-28-18, 09:46 PM
daffydd
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76

We do have Spotify on the Lexus apps.
We do? Maybe you do, but I don't. The App Suite on my 2016 / Mark Levinson does not include Spotify. No matter, as I can stream from my iPhone via Bluetooth.
Old 09-29-18, 07:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Apologize. I was thinking of Slacker.
Old 09-29-18, 07:57 AM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by kolokmee
First of all, this is the 4RX forum (2016 and newer). Second of all, Sirius/XM satellite radio is just one of the Audio Modes on your car stereo. If your subscription expires, there's nothing stopping you from just listening to FM (and HD-FM, which imho, sounds way better than Sirius/XM) and AM radios. You can also stream audio from your phone via Bluetooth if you really want to - you can then use Spotify or whatever other streaming service you desire.

I personally don't use Sirius/XM much since the sound quality is deplorable compared to the other methods. Even when your subscription expires, Sirius/XM usually gives a free "trial" period every once in a while

And no, Toyota does not own Sirius/XM. It's a different company that provides satellite radio service for all cars and radio devices.
This is for 2010-2015 models.
Old 09-29-18, 10:57 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
This is for 2010-2015 models.
Thread was moved.
Old 09-29-18, 05:07 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Pandora was not dropped by Toyota, but by the 3rd party that controls the content.
That's the excuse Toyota is giving but Toyota could continue having Pandora in Enform and Entune if it wanted to pay enough to do it. Pandora hasn't been profitable and has been on the edge of bankruptcy which is why it is being eaten by SiriusXM which has revenue problems of its own.
Old 09-30-18, 06:31 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I guess I'll start using iHeart Radio more in Enform.

Or I can just Bluetooth and use Pandora (free version), but I now have to endure ads (Inside Enform, ads on Pandora free we're stripped out.)

Originally Posted by Kansas
That's the excuse Toyota is giving but Toyota could continue having Pandora in Enform and Entune if it wanted to pay enough to do it. Pandora hasn't been profitable and has been on the edge of bankruptcy which is why it is being eaten by SiriusXM which has revenue problems of its own.
Old 09-30-18, 07:44 PM
daffydd
Driver

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I guess I'll start using iHeart Radio more in Enform.

Or I can just Bluetooth and use Pandora (free version), but I now have to endure ads (Inside Enform, ads on Pandora free we're stripped out.)
Or, if you like Pandora, you could buy a subscription!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I hate Sirius and how they control my radio in lexus 350rx. How do I get control back