RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Replacing stock rear view mirror with a dash cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 07:56 AM
Banbuk77
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing stock rear view mirror with a dash cam

I am thinking about installing a dash cam (X1 PRO by auto vox) that will replace the stock rear view mirror with the mirror/display and will use a camera to display the image.
Coming from a sedan I am still struggling with a limited rear view and I also want a dash cam. So this solution looks attractive to me since it will provide a better view and I will have a discreet dash cam.
Are there any negatives if I replace the stock mirror? Will I lose some important functions? I am not using On Star and don't intend to?
Anything else I am missing?
Thanks.
Old 09-14-18, 08:28 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Are your Homelink garage door buttons in your current mirror, or the roof panel?
Old 09-14-18, 09:00 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

depending on the success of your outcome I'd be interested in doing the same thing....... just the other day, someone scraped my rear door ever so slightly to scratch just the clear coat but caught the quarter panel that join up with the rear bumper resulting in the rear bumper attachment that was hanging loose by about an inch. I popped the bumper back in and the clear coat was buffed out, but would have loved to know who messed up the car.
Old 09-14-18, 09:10 AM
Banbuk77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MellonC00
depending on the success of your outcome I'd be interested in doing the same thing....... just the other day, someone scraped my rear door ever so slightly to scratch just the clear coat but caught the quarter panel that join up with the rear bumper resulting in the rear bumper attachment that was hanging loose by about an inch. I popped the bumper back in and the clear coat was buffed out, but would have loved to know who messed up the car.
This particular system is not the best with regard to parking mode. You might want to take a look into more advanced systems.
I first wanted a good parking mode capabilities as well, but after thinking it over I will probably not going to use it since there is a risk it will degrade the battery. Unless you have some neighbor constantly messing with your car - there is not much use for the footage if some stranger scratches your car.
Old 09-14-18, 09:11 AM
Banbuk77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ColAngus
Are your Homelink garage door buttons in your current mirror, or the roof panel?
I don't know since I don't have a garage.
Old 09-14-18, 02:56 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I've tried the rear view mirror clip ON's and they all failed after a few months.......just after warranty.... this is because the rechargable batteries in these are very cheap and weak and will not charge anymore just after a few months of use or in the HOT CAR. Not good. Ok, I left them on the car's bc it magnifies my rear view VERY WELL. LOL. When I press on the homelink buttons I have to sorta guess the location of the homelink buttons bc I can not see them ...

What I found will work is a dash cam that uses "capacitor" based sysyem and no batteries inside to over heat and wear out or worse cause a fire....
I bought several for all of my vehicles with this one (ARECORD B40D) back in May 2016 and ALL are working still without any problems. It was around $85 at the time. It's cheaper now around $75. I can tell you that the front unit (very good resolution) can be hidden in front of the rear view mirror and the included rear camera is really useless bc the resolution is too low. So I have TWO units in a vehicle (one front and another front for the rear. I just throw away the rear cameras bc of low resolution). And you MUST USE HIGH SPEED MICRO SD CARDS, at least 10X. You can use 64gb instead of the recommended 32gb. Just need to format to 32FAT:
Amazon Amazon

When I was ready to order two more units for my teenager's car, the above ARECORD units were out of stock so I ordered the ones below, Apeman , around $75 (really the same thing bc these are all made in China from the sane factory). These also performed flawlessly. Got two, one for front and one for rear and throw away the two included useless rear cameras.
Amazon Amazon

My next project is to hook the dash cams to an always on via an adapter that I already ordered but not installed (it will shut down if it senses car battery is low).
Amazon Amazon

Another good option that I installed in my teenager's car is the Raven. I ordered via Amazon and it not only acts like a dash cam (front and rear), but also acts like a "car nanny' that reports to me (or anyone I designate) via live 4g LTE built in cell connections (either live streaming or delayed image every 15 seconds or so). It has a "historical" retrieve function. Also a parking mode that it is ON after you shut off the engine and lock and walked away........and will sense any movement or "air pressure difference" as breaking windows or just closing the door with windows up (or when I was just spraying water on the car to wash it). Or you can just log in to see both front view or rear cabin view 24 hours a day if so desires... Plus it monitors all vital engine functions. Plus crash detection and alert system.....too many functions..... Cost a bit high at $299 and then there is a monthly subscription (different levels). I just picked the cheapest at $8/month and still got all its functionalities.
Amazon Amazon
​​​​​
​​​​

Originally Posted by Banbuk77
I am thinking about installing a dash cam (X1 PRO by auto vox) that will replace the stock rear view mirror with the mirror/display and will use a camera to display the image.
Coming from a sedan I am still struggling with a limited rear view and I also want a dash cam. So this solution looks attractive to me since it will provide a better view and I will have a discreet dash cam.
Are there any negatives if I replace the stock mirror? Will I lose some important functions? I am not using On Star and don't intend to?
Anything else I am missing?
Thanks.

Last edited by lexusrus; 09-14-18 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-15-18, 09:38 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I first wanted a good parking mode capabilities as well, but after thinking it over I will probably not going to use it since there is a risk it will degrade the battery.
There are battery packs to help address this sort of thing.
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/...mode-recording

No experience with such a setup myself. I'm still just using Mobius Action Cameras that I set up in our vehicles several years ago and they don't support parking mode.

Originally Posted by ColAngus
I don't know since I don't have a garage.
You don't have to have a garage to know where they are. The HomeLink buttons are in your RX if you have them.

HomeLink buttons on mirror (the 3 to the left)

HomeLink buttons in overhead console (the 1, 2 & 3 buttons)

Last edited by takeshi74; 09-15-18 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-16-18, 08:58 AM
Banbuk77
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by takeshi74
There are battery packs to help address this sort of thing.
https://www.blackboxmycar.com/blogs/...mode-recording

No experience with such a setup myself. I'm still just using Mobius Action Cameras that I set up in our vehicles several years ago and they don't support parking mode.

You don't have to have a garage to know where they are. The HomeLink buttons are in your RX if you have them.

HomeLink buttons on mirror (the 3 to the left)

HomeLink buttons in overhead console (the 1, 2 & 3 buttons)
I know about battery packs, but in my case I don't think they will work out since sometimes I drive very short distances 5-10 minutes and the car battery won't be charged since all the juice will go to the battery pack.
Also, even if someone scratches the car and I have a video - what I am going to do with it? Go to police?
I would be interested in recording only for the first 2-3 hours after parking a car. That would cover all shopping parking lots, etc. I don't think this particular unit has such capability to set up for how long it would record. It does cut off the power when car battery goes below 11.6 v , but I think this is too low. Maybe I should use a device that will cut off the power at 12.4 v and that will be enough for couple of hours of recording in parking moed.

My point about garage was that I am not using this button and not going to, so I am not going to miss it.