RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Widest 19” tire

Old 09-15-18, 06:50 PM
mtbmtb01
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Widest 19” tire

Just got a 2013 obsidian fwd w 19” wheels for the wife.
she complained that somehow it just doesn’t handle as well as her 2011 g37 convertible.
where I bought it was a Huge used car sales in Dallas.
they had range rovers, jags and bimmers, oh my!
anyway I like the car but the 235/55/19 tires do seem a little narrow.
i was looking at plus size on replacement and was wondering what guys have used.
searched but didn’t quite see it.
i believe 255/50/19 should not be a problem although just giving me marginally extra width.
i like to go with 285/45/19s but I think the stock 19” wheel width of 7.5” would be too narrow and the 1.5 - 2” increase in width may cause some rubbing on the front.
dont want to run two different size.
suggestions or has anybody upsized?
also what brand did you go with.
wanted something economical
thanks.

Old 09-16-18, 02:01 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Well, the RX is a different TYPE of vehicle vs the G37 with a much higher center of gravity.

Becareful with changing to wider tires bc you will change the driving dynamics such as understeer vs oversteer which is more dangerous. Also with wider tires, you risk more prone to hydroplaning in heavy rain and less traction (in snow less traction).

Maybe the tires that are on your RX currently are not the best? Try to get tires with more stiff sidewalls (XL ratings).

​​​​​I would also look into lowering the RX before going wider?

No matter what you do to the RX, it will still have a higher center of gravity vs the G37 and therefore will not drive the same.

Originally Posted by mtbmtb01
Just got a 2013 obsidian fwd w 19” wheels for the wife.
she complained that somehow it just doesn’t handle as well as her 2011 g37 convertible.
where I bought it was a Huge used car sales in Dallas.
they had range rovers, jags and bimmers, oh my!
anyway I like the car but the 235/55/19 tires do seem a little narrow.
i was looking at plus size on replacement and was wondering what guys have used.
searched but didn’t quite see it.
i believe 255/50/19 should not be a problem although just giving me marginally extra width.
i like to go with 285/45/19s but I think the stock 19” wheel width of 7.5” would be too narrow and the 1.5 - 2” increase in width may cause some rubbing on the front.
dont want to run two different size.
suggestions or has anybody upsized?
also what brand did you go with.
wanted something economical
thanks.

Old 09-16-18, 07:22 AM
mtbmtb01
Driver School Candidate

I know it will never handle like the g
was just surprised she didn’t realize that.
just want something with a little more meat on the ground
more for looks
the 255/50 are actually a little shorter 0.2” and about 3/4” wider.
doubt if this would make a difference in anything other than the speedo might be off by half to 1 mile.
just wanted a little better look.

btw it’s got the Dunlop’s on 2 and a Nexen on the other 2.
previous owner must only had to buy 2 at a time.
Old 09-16-18, 08:19 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

So it looks like the previous owner did not rotate the tires and just let them run bald. OR something more ominous......like alignment or suspension problems causing uneven tire wear??? IDK.

The tires you mentioned that are currently on your RX is not what I would want if I had a choice.

I would go for Michelin LTX tires. I replaced my original 4 tires last year on our 2013 RX450h. One of the reasons we went with the RX450h instead of the RX350 was the few hundred pounds of hybrid batteries behind the back seats made the vehicle more sure footed (we came from MB and Volvo cars). My wife found the RX350 just too wobbly. Our RX450h came with the "F Sport Appearance package" with 19 inch wheels which stiffened the ride vs the 18 original wheels. Not sure if the suspension is different though. But the ride in the RX450h is night and day difference compared to RX350.

AGAIN, switch out ALL four tires to better ones. When we switched out due to my overlooked alignment issues which caused two tires' inner sides to wear way quicker and had to replace..... America's Tire gave us like $200 total credit for the two remaining tires (Already prior replacement Yokohoma tires with already some 25K miles on them bought from the same place). Plus gave us a great price that was lower than Costco (they will match any legit competitors). Ask them if there is a "trial period" after you get the new tires mounted on and test drive the RX350. If not satisfied, can they put on another set of 4 new different and maybe better tires and see? (with no penalty?) . I know you might be thinking, is this a scam? No, not at all, they want your business and will make sure you are happy..... I have no relationship with America's Tire (or its sister company, Discount Tires)......I'm just a very happy and satisfied customer.

Originally Posted by mtbmtb01
I know it will never handle like the g
was just surprised she didn’t realize that.
just want something with a little more meat on the ground
more for looks
the 255/50 are actually a little shorter 0.2” and about 3/4” wider.
doubt if this would make a difference in anything other than the speedo might be off by half to 1 mile.
just wanted a little better look.

btw it’s got the Dunlop’s on 2 and a Nexen on the other 2.
previous owner must only had to buy 2 at a time.
Old 09-16-18, 09:34 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,089 Likes on 930 Posts

I have 255/50/19 Goodyear Eagle GT Asymmetric All Season Tires on 8 inch wide wheels (aftermarket copies of Lexus IS F Sport wheels) combined with 25mm wheel spacers from http://trakplus.com/

Here is a direct link http://trakplus.com/results I have the 5065600 spacers.

This combination has improved the handling, grip and reduced body roll because of the wider track, while the Goodyears, known for their sharp steering response improved steering feel and are great in the rain.

Also I when I replaced the leaking rear shocks I installed the sport suspension shocks which were a bit stiffer. This was an option that existed until 2012 when it was replaced with the F sport which has apparently, even stiffer struts & shocks.

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-16-18 at 09:49 AM. Reason: add photos
The following users liked this post:
TheSnowman (09-16-18)
Old 09-16-18, 05:07 PM
mtbmtb01
Driver School Candidate

So here’s the chart255/50R19Equal29"10.0"19 x 7-9"285/45R19+0.3%29.1"11.2"19 x 9-10.5"235/55R19+0.7%29.2"9.3"19 x 6.5-8.5"According to this the 255 is only .2” shorter and .7” wider and will fit on my stock 7.5” stock wheels
can you tell a difference between yours and the stock set up?
Old 09-17-18, 08:04 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,089 Likes on 930 Posts

I can tell the difference between my current set up and stock, but I had the 18 inch wheels originally. Handling is much better, steering is more accurate, body roll is less (due to spacers) grip is improved. It looks better with the wider 255/50/19 tires (and wheels) which is one of the same sizes used by the BMW X5 thus there are many choices available. I sold my stock 18 inch wheels and will never look back!

Here is where I got my spacers and I think it is still the best price. These are simple bolt on and are hub centric. They bolt onto your wheel studs with their lug nuts, then you bolt your wheels onto the spacer studs. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-h-and-r-...-pair/5065600/
Best $250 I spent on improving the handling.
Old 09-17-18, 08:40 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What tires are on the thing now? Guessing you're running on some type of all season or light truck tire.

You might just switch to a performance tire of the same size and get the results you want, although be prepared to spend more money per tire, probably loosing some wet weather performance, and have significantly less tread life.
Old 09-17-18, 09:01 AM
mtbmtb01
Driver School Candidate

2 Dunlop grandtrek at20 + 2 Nexen n5000 plus
i know there are two different brands but it came that way
Old 09-17-18, 12:28 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Just a word of caution regarding Summer Ultra High Performance tires........ These do POORLY in cold weather even on dry roads. That is 40 degrees F and below these will become as hard as a rock and offer drastically reduced traction and grip (again, even on dry roads). Plus as the temperature continues to drop below 40 degrees F, these tires have to potential to literally become so brittle and "crack on you".

If you are in SoCal and NEVER go to the mountains, then it's all good....

Originally Posted by tus
What tires are on the thing now? Guessing you're running on some type of all season or light truck tire.

You might just switch to a performance tire of the same size and get the results you want, although be prepared to spend more money per tire, probably loosing some wet weather performance, and have significantly less tread life.
Old 09-19-18, 01:51 PM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

First, Dunlop Grantrek are not very good handling tires. Next, having two different tire brands certainly doesn't help the handling. I think the poor handling of your wife's RX can be directly attributed to the tires, but that's just my opinion.

Our 2015 needed new tires, so I did as much research as I could before buying. The result is that I bought Michelin Primacy MXM-4 tires (stock size) from Discount Tire, primarily due to the ratings of the various Michelin tire models on Michelin's own web site, Tire Rack's and Discount's own web site. The Primacy MXM-4 rated a 10 out of 10 for handling and comfort by Michelin. The result? The Michelin Primacys vastly improved BOTH the handling and the ride dramatically and also really reduced the road noise. Plus Discount sold them for about $25 less per tire than the other Michelin models--$192 per tire. I wasn't interested in tread wear or snow capability--I wanted tires that improved the areas I mentioned above and that's what I got.

Get rid of those mis-matched tires and put on some tires known to be good for handling. I expect the complaints will cease.