ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015-212/)
-   -   Will missing a scheduled maintenance invalidate warranty (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-3rd-gen-2010-2015/899486-will-missing-a-scheduled-maintenance-invalidate-warranty.html)

Banbuk77 09-14-18 07:39 AM

Will missing a scheduled maintenance invalidate warranty

I recently bought 2013 Certified RX350 and have 2 year warranty. I don't drive much and put maybe 1000 miles since I bought the car in May. What happens if I have the next maintenance not after 6 months but after let's say 8 months? Will it somehow invalidate the warranty since the documents state that maintenance is required every 6 months regardless of the mileage?
The thing is that I had 4 free maintenance visit included and a months after I bought the car I brought it to the dealership to check something and they performed some kind of maintenance. So I am afraid I have only 3 left so I want to stretch them for 2 years and I would like to use the last one for 60K maintenance. Which means I have to do it every 8 months, not every 6 months.
Thanks.

takeshi74 09-14-18 08:05 AM

We can't say for certain what your dealership and/or Lexus NA will or will not do and can only repeat the information in the warranty & maintenance documentation that you're already aware of. I personally wouldn't give any dealer or manufacturer an excuse to deny coverage. What you do, however, is your call to make. You may not have any problems by delaying maintenance. You may not ever need warranty coverage. I can't tell the future.

If you're wondering about how many maintenance visits you have remaining then verify with your dealer.

Also note that it's not just 60K. It's 72 months or 60K. If you're not driving much you're probably going to get to 72 months first and that scheduled maintenance would be due at that time.

Originally Posted by Banbuk77 (Post 10306463)
Which means I have to do it every 8 months, not every 6 months.

It also means that you'd be 6 months late on the 72/60K maintenance.

Clutchless 09-15-18 01:45 PM

You do not have to take it to the dealer every 6 months to maintain the warranty. The main thing for warranty is oil changes when required and other fluids/lubricants checked when required because it is failure of those components that can be traced to lack of maintenance and coverage denial. Thus, if something electrical fails and you did not have the 6 month maintenance, it will not matter because there is not preventive maintenance to perform. Thus, get your oil changed per the mileage and/or once a year and same with air filter. You can also take it to an independent shop which charges much less and save your free Lexus visits. As long as you have records that someone did the maintenance they have to cover the warranty related failure. This is federal law.

salimshah 09-15-18 04:48 PM

In fairness, if the failure can be attributed to negligence, which can include failure to do recommended service. As pointed out the service needs not be done by Lexus dealership. By the way you can do the recommended service(s) and still be denied warranty if the issue can be traced to negligence like redlining the engine etc.

Salim

Banbuk77 09-16-18 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by takeshi74 (Post 10306490)
We can't say for certain what your dealership and/or Lexus NA will or will not do and can only repeat the information in the warranty & maintenance documentation that you're already aware of. I personally wouldn't give any dealer or manufacturer an excuse to deny coverage. What you do, however, is your call to make. You may not have any problems by delaying maintenance. You may not ever need warranty coverage. I can't tell the future.

If you're wondering about how many maintenance visits you have remaining then verify with your dealer.

Also note that it's not just 60K. It's 72 months or 60K. If you're not driving much you're probably going to get to 72 months first and that scheduled maintenance would be due at that time.

It also means that you'd be 6 months late on the 72/60K maintenance.

Oh, I didn't know about 72 months. In this case should be fine since I hit 72 months sometime next year.
I will call the dealership to find out if they counted last visit as maintenance and when I should come next time.
Thanks.