RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to remove caliper guide pin's rubber boots

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-18, 10:44 AM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How to remove caliper guide pin's rubber boots

Hey whats going on

I'm trying to remove the caliper guide pin to clean the inside bore and rubber boots. I always thought the rubber boot was just pull and tug but upon further inspection it looks like it is stuck to the inside of the chamber. I tried tugging a little but it didn't want to come out. It feels like if I tug any harder, it will rip. Anybody have any ideas on how to remove that rubber boot?

Thanks.

Also, I got some new slide pins just in case mine were damaged but the indented area where the black cylinder goes on the guide pin didn't come along with it. Any idea on how to remove the old black cylinder from the pin ?
Old 05-08-18, 11:29 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

Try a twisting motion to break the bond between the boot and caliper pin bore before attempting to pull ..or you can use the blunt end of a pen to carefully pry the edge of the boot from the caliper pin bore. Did you buy new oem pins or are they aftermarket?
Old 05-08-18, 01:56 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I always leave the rubber boots alone, you can clean inside if you just spray brake cleaner in the hole and spray compressed air in to dry. I have had problems with aftermarket boots not fitting Toyota/Lexus and ending up reusing my old ones.
To remove your plastic from the pin I would try spraying with brake cleaner, then lubricant spray, then maybe a couple of really tiny flat head screwdrivers, or smash it to break it up, then fish it out in pieces. I have had better luck with aftermarket slide/guide pins actually fitting.
Always lube the new pins with Sil-Glyde.
Old 05-08-18, 03:08 PM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
Try a twisting motion to break the bond between the boot and caliper pin bore before attempting to pull ..or you can use the blunt end of a pen to carefully pry the edge of the boot from the caliper pin bore. Did you buy new oem pins or are they aftermarket?
Originally Posted by Clutchless
I always leave the rubber boots alone, you can clean inside if you just spray brake cleaner in the hole and spray compressed air in to dry. I have had problems with aftermarket boots not fitting Toyota/Lexus and ending up reusing my old ones.
To remove your plastic from the pin I would try spraying with brake cleaner, then lubricant spray, then maybe a couple of really tiny flat head screwdrivers, or smash it to break it up, then fish it out in pieces. I have had better luck with aftermarket slide/guide pins actually fitting.
Always lube the new pins with Sil-Glyde.
Wait, so is the boot supposed to be plug and pull from the caliper bracket end? I have no problem getting the caliper pin out from the boots, the other side is my issue. It feels like it is build into the bracket. I just need to know if it is build into the bracket or it's just seized from all the corrosion.
Old 05-09-18, 05:26 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by Fpan87
Wait, so is the boot supposed to be plug and pull from the caliper bracket end? I have no problem getting the caliper pin out from the boots, the other side is my issue. It feels like it is build into the bracket. I just need to know if it is build into the bracket or it's just seized from all the corrosion.
i was able to pull my boots off on my 1st gen, i haven't attempted it on my 3rd gen yet. Hindsight, im not sure if it was an OEM caliper or remanufactured caliper the previous owner put on it.

The metal bushing may need more persuasion. Here's some tips in post #5 which should apply the same in the 3rd gen. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...11#post6808026

Last edited by fastnoypi; 05-09-18 at 05:53 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fastnoypi:
Clutchless (05-09-18), LONGSHORE (05-09-18)
Old 05-09-18, 07:53 AM
Clutchless

Great link fastnoypi! Useful tool for cleaning out the holes are 6 inch cotton swabs used for gun cleaning. Amazon has them, 100 swabs for under $5.
Old 05-09-18, 09:06 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Great link fastnoypi! Useful tool for cleaning out the holes are 6 inch cotton swabs used for gun cleaning. Amazon has them, 100 swabs for under $5.
the long swabs are great for applying the hi-temp brake grease. I use the brass bottle brushes used for gun cleaning to get out the old dirty grease with some brake cleaner. Clamp the handle on a drill and it makes work really quick and easy. They can be found cheap on ebay.
Old 05-09-18, 09:45 AM
Clutchless

What diameter brushes do you use? I see 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 inch.
Old 05-09-18, 10:22 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

What diameter brushes do you use? I see 3/8, 1/2, 5/8 inch.
if i recall i used the 3/8"
The following users liked this post:
Clutchless (05-09-18)
Old 05-10-18, 06:18 AM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

I'm still on OEM caliper and pins. The bracket end seems really embedded and flush, guess I'll try again this weekend.
Old 05-10-18, 06:32 AM
Clutchless

You may need a new caliper bracket. On my HS250h I had a frozen slide pin on the rear driver side caliper because, being a hybrid the brakes last forever and I got lazy about caliper maintenance. The aftermarket rubber boots would not fit the new bracket so I ended up using my old ones after I hammered the stuck slide pin out of the old bracket.

I later found out I should have just bought a used caliper on eBay as they usually include the bracket, just look at the photos. There are many on eBay and the price was half of a new bracket. Then you have a spare caliper too!
Old 05-14-18, 06:40 AM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

You may need a new caliper bracket. On my HS250h I had a frozen slide pin on the rear driver side caliper because, being a hybrid the brakes last forever and I got lazy about caliper maintenance. The aftermarket rubber boots would not fit the new bracket so I ended up using my old ones after I hammered the stuck slide pin out of the old bracket.

I later found out I should have just bought a used caliper on eBay as they usually include the bracket, just look at the photos. There are many on eBay and the price was half of a new bracket. Then you have a spare caliper too!

My friend that works at lexus parts just confirmed that the rubber boots are not sold separately. It comes as a unit with the bracket, therefore it is probably build in the bore and cannot be removed easily without damaging the boots.
Old 05-14-18, 08:47 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Originally Posted by Fpan87
My friend that works at lexus parts just confirmed that the rubber boots are not sold separately. It comes as a unit with the bracket, therefore it is probably build in the bore and cannot be removed easily without damaging the boots.
your friend is mistaken. Its part#47775

Old 05-16-18, 09:01 AM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I just finished servicing my brakes. The rubber boots are fairly easy to remove. Just pull gently on the rubber at an angle while pushing the boot sideways. It will pop right out. Lubricate the end of the rubber before installing and it will slip right in - and come out easier the next time.
Old 05-17-18, 06:33 PM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by fastnoypi
your friend is mistaken. Its part#47775

Originally Posted by RealWing
I just finished servicing my brakes. The rubber boots are fairly easy to remove. Just pull gently on the rubber at an angle while pushing the boot sideways. It will pop right out. Lubricate the end of the rubber before installing and it will slip right in - and come out easier the next time.
Thanks guys, I'll take another swing at it this weekend when I'm changing out the gear oil.

Quick Reply: How to remove caliper guide pin's rubber boots