RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Check PCS System and Check Brake System warnings

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 09:25 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Check PCS System and Check Brake System warnings

Our new-to-us MY13 RX450h started to display these error messages today when my wife was driving it around:

Turning off the Power and then back on again did not improve the situation. So I told her to just keep driving the vehicle, since none of these lights were red (critical faults), only amber (warnings).

Much later on the same day, after the vehicle was parked for some time, my wife said that the warning messages and lights had all gone away, and everything seemed to be back to normal.

I have since used the ScanGauge II (OBDII scanner) to scan for error codes, but there were none.

The 12 volt battery is brand new and fully charged. The only change that I did recently to the vehicle was to loosen the lug nuts and retorque to Lexus recommended torque settings, one at a time. I had found that the lug nuts were torqued higher than what Lexus recommends. I wouldn't have thought that this would have affected the brakes or PCS in anyway, as I did not actually remove the wheels by resetting the lug nuts one at a time.

Brake fluid in the reservoir is at the full level. Tyres are all brand new. Brakes (pads & rotors) are in perfect condition from a vehicle roadworthy inspection only three weeks ago. As can be seen, the vehicle has done less than 46,000 kms (under 30,000 miles).

Just thought I'd put it out there, in case anyone else has experienced this sort of glitch.

Last edited by tempestv8; 03-14-18 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-14-18, 05:04 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

I looked in the Owners Manual and whilst there is a "Check PCS System" warning documented, there is no mention specifically of a "Check Brake System" warning message. The closest I could find are "Check Brake Lamp System" and "Check ABS" and "Release Parking Brake". Seems strange that the instrumentation has an undocumented warning message.

Also, I've taken the vehicle out for a number of drives this evening and the issue has not re-surfaced, nor are there any fault codes found using my trusty ScanGauge II.

Does anyone know if there is a TSB related to these errors?
Old 03-14-18, 10:07 AM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

Use techstream to see the historic error codes.
Old 03-15-18, 03:11 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

I have a Toyota Intellitester unit and I've not come across a way of looking up "historic" error codes. The error codes are either present or not, as far as I can tell.

Meanwhile today, I located the PCS disable button, which was located in a very strange spot just above the accelerator pedal. The PCS warning light is illuminated solid when PCS is disabled, and goes away when re-enabled. No strange warning messages or flashing PCS warning light could be reproduced.
Old 03-17-18, 08:17 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Does your scan gauge read abs codes? If it doesn’t, you might not see anything. Get one of those commie techstream clones or a reader that reads abs. Another thought, did she drive through a bunch of water? If no codes, almost sounds like an intermittent connection. Btw, didn’t know 2013 had PCS. That’s a nice feature.

i just looked at the vid again: looks like with the car on, there’s a bunch of other warning lights lit up on the right, including abs and what looks like tpms amongst others. Did you have service done recently? I’ve heard of strange things happening after disconnecting the aux battery in hybrids, but goes away after a bit.

Last edited by afpj; 03-17-18 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Kant type ur spell
Old 03-17-18, 03:42 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

My wife said that she parked it on a grassy area, but certainly not waterlogged or anything "offroad" that a Toyota Corolla can't handle without blinking an eye. It wasn't a wet day nor were the ambient temperatures high or low - teeshirt and shorts sort of conditions, so doesn't seem to have been triggered by adverse weather conditions.

Not sure if the ScanGauge II can read ABS codes but I do have a Toyota Intelligent Tester II as well, so I shall check with that next time I get a chance. It hasn't reappeared in the dozen or so times that the car has been started and driven, so I shall put it down as a glitch. I only bought the vehicle recently, but the battery has not been disconnected in the last 3 weeks.

The only other change that I recall now is that all the plastic shrouding in the engine bay was off at the time the vehicle was driven, but I wouldn't have thought that this would have even mattered, so I discounted that to even have anything remotely to do with this fault.

Anyhow, if it rears its head again, I shall certainly post back a reply to this thread, or if I find anything else via the Intelligent Tester.
Old 03-18-18, 08:53 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I am not familiar with Intellitester...what I saw on eBay does not look like techstream, so you may not be able to see all the subsystems. Do you still have a warranty? You should take it to the dealer for them to check it out and document the incident. Hopefully, it’s one of those weird occurrences ( like the ones that occur after changing the battery) that just goes away and never comes back.

good day mate. Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie oi oi oi! (As I drank a pint of green stuff yesterday)
Old 11-21-18, 07:29 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Till today, I have not had another re-occurrance of this issue. Can't explain what triggered it back in March of this year, but am very glad that it's not reared its head up again.

Re the Intellitester, it is a hand held plug in OBDII device that can check the car's ECU for any faults that have been logged by the ECU.

Also it can be used to make any parameter changes for user configurable options, some of which is also possible via the Lexus' settings screen on the Nav display unit.

A trained Lexus technician can also do things like turn of an individual injector whist the engine is running, for diagnostic purposes, check the instantaneous readings from various engine sensors, etc.

Last edited by tempestv8; 11-21-18 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-22-18, 01:01 AM
Lead Lap

Received 750 Likes on 504 Posts

Rest assured, all your error codes are still there. I reckon it’s one of the ECUs that triggered it. Could be the Traction ECU or the wiring harness between ECUs.