RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dead transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 01:15 PM
royalleade
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead transmission

2015 RX350 101K km. The transmission died. It was luckily covered under warranty until 110K km.
Just curious if anyone has had same problem or knows someone with similar issue on this car.
Old 02-12-18, 01:20 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,196 Likes on 1,022 Posts

It happens once in a while. This same transmission is used in many Toyota/Lexus vehicles and has been mostly very reliable. However, if a company makes hundreds of thousands of transmissions, used in many different vehicles under differing conditions, you are going to get some failures once you reach 100,000 miles or more. Luckily you had coverage.

Contrary to the manufacturers recommendation, it does help to do a transmission fluid change around 50,000 miles. It can help prevent a situation like yours. It only costs about $200 - $300 at a dealer.
Old 02-13-18, 09:34 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It happens once in a while. This same transmission is used in many Toyota/Lexus vehicles and has been mostly very reliable. However, if a company makes hundreds of thousands of transmissions, used in many different vehicles under differing conditions, you are going to get some failures once you reach 100,000 miles or more. Luckily you had coverage.

Contrary to the manufacturers recommendation, it does help to do a transmission fluid change around 50,000 miles. It can help prevent a situation like yours. It only costs about $200 - $300 at a dealer.
Just curious, what data do you have that changing the transmission fluid would prevent something like this. I have an SC also and they went to the sealed transmission in 06 and this is discussed at times in that forum. A number of people have made similar statements about changing the fluid. I am not saying you are wrong, but please provide something that backs up this statement. No one in the SC forum has been able to do so. It is always just that new fluid must do something positive.
Old 02-13-18, 10:14 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

No hard data is available. Just common sense and experience from owning and maintaining my many cars over the past few decades and belonging to and participating in several auto forums including www.bobistheoilguy.com which is inhabited by much more maintenance obsessed folks and petroleum engineers and other auto industry folks who think it is a good idea for long term reliability.

The car companies only care if the vehicle makes if out of warranty intact and maybe can get thru the life of an extended service contract without a warranty claim for the major components such as engine, transmission, transfer case.

Case in point VW used a sealed smaller Aisin 09G model 6 speed automatic transmission (Aisin makes our transmission and is owned by Toyota) that was similar to ours and so called sealed for life. The same transmission was used in my 2008 MINI Cooper S. Anyway, VW began to get so many transmission failures at the end of the warranty period that they issued a notice to all owners calling for all vehicles with that transmission to come in and have the fluid changed at 40,000 miles. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...smission-fluid

In addition some well regarded media auto mechanic experts such as the Car Talk brothers on Public Radio and Patt Goss on Motorweek TV show advise to change the fluid/do a fluid exchange (the proper term for what is incorrectly called a flush) at 30,000 miles or so. Both the Car Talk guys (well the one brother still alive) and Pat Goss still operate independent car repair facilities and have for many years.

It seems to make sense to me that fluid gets contaminated over time, due to wear of transmission parts, uses up its additives and loses some of its lubricating, cooling and protective properties. This is almost exactly the same circumstances as with engine oil (minus the combustion contamination) which we all change much more often for the same reasons. Why would a transmission be any different except with longer intervals?
It may not have to be changed if you only lease or keep a car a few years. However for the long term and to get better shift performance, I consider such maintenance would be money well spent as a form of insurance and will continue to change the transmission fluid in my vehicles.

You can do what you like and seek non existent or buried double blind scientific studies hidden away in GM or Toyota secret labs to justify not changing your own fluid, or just change the fluid and drive on with your life.

Last edited by Clutchless; 02-13-18 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-13-18, 02:02 PM
royalleade
Driver School Candidate

So the transmission died at 101K km which is less than 63K miles.
But yes, the service person said I should do next transmission fluid change after 80K km even though the maintenance is scheduled every 96K km.
And on a related note, would someone be able to tell me what RPM should this car be at when driving at 60mph or 75mph or 100km/h or 110km/h or 120km/h. I just want to confirm transmission is shifting to last gear since it just feels like RPMs are little higher than they used to be before the transmission change when I am cruising on the highway.
Old 02-13-18, 03:30 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At 120km/h my tach say 2900 RPM
Chris
The following users liked this post:
royalleade (02-15-18)
Old 02-14-18, 04:21 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by iolmaster
Just curious, what data do you have that changing the transmission fluid would prevent something like this. I have an SC also and they went to the sealed transmission in 06 and this is discussed at times in that forum. A number of people have made similar statements about changing the fluid. I am not saying you are wrong, but please provide something that backs up this statement. No one in the SC forum has been able to do so. It is always just that new fluid must do something positive.
My local Lexus Service Mgr who works on Lexus's all day and backed by Lexus engineers who designed the transmission said it does not need to be changed. He actually said changing it can do more harm than good. I will rely on Lexus experts over anyone posting here. They are turning down my $$$$.
Old 02-14-18, 06:50 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

I really did not notice your mileage was kilometers until now. I think for any transmission to fail at that low a mileage it must have had some manufacturing defect and that whether or not the fluid was changed would not be an issue.

I think the Lexus quality control staff will want to examine that transmission to determine the failure mode for future design reference. It would be great to find out what actually happened. The solenoid valve body was a problem on some earlier Aisin 6 speed automatics (think 09G) after they ran up a lot of miles, over 40,000.

You can confirm if you are in 6th gear by shifting over to S mode and watching the display on your dash. It should show a downshift and you should feel it.
The following users liked this post:
royalleade (02-15-18)
Old 02-14-18, 07:06 AM
iolmaster
Racer

No hard data is available. Just common sense and experience from owning and maintaining my many cars over the past few decades and belonging to and participating in several auto forums including www.bobistheoilguy.com which is inhabited by much more maintenance obsessed folks and petroleum engineers and other auto industry folks who think it is a good idea for long term reliability.

The car companies only care if the vehicle makes if out of warranty intact and maybe can get thru the life of an extended service contract without a warranty claim for the major components such as engine, transmission, transfer case.

Case in point VW used a sealed smaller Aisin 09G model 6 speed automatic transmission (Aisin makes our transmission and is owned by Toyota) that was similar to ours and so called sealed for life. The same transmission was used in my 2008 MINI Cooper S. Anyway, VW began to get so many transmission failures at the end of the warranty period that they issued a notice to all owners calling for all vehicles with that transmission to come in and have the fluid changed at 40,000 miles. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...smission-fluid

In addition some well regarded media auto mechanic experts such as the Car Talk brothers on Public Radio and Patt Goss on Motorweek TV show advise to change the fluid/do a fluid exchange (the proper term for what is incorrectly called a flush) at 30,000 miles or so. Both the Car Talk guys (well the one brother still alive) and Pat Goss still operate independent car repair facilities and have for many years.

It seems to make sense to me that fluid gets contaminated over time, due to wear of transmission parts, uses up its additives and loses some of its lubricating, cooling and protective properties. This is almost exactly the same circumstances as with engine oil (minus the combustion contamination) which we all change much more often for the same reasons. Why would a transmission be any different except with longer intervals?
It may not have to be changed if you only lease or keep a car a few years. However for the long term and to get better shift performance, I consider such maintenance would be money well spent as a form of insurance and will continue to change the transmission fluid in my vehicles.

You can do what you like and seek non existent or buried double blind scientific studies hidden away in GM or Toyota secret labs to justify not changing your own fluid, or just change the fluid and drive on with your life.
I have seen all of that in the SC forum. Just a bunch of anecdotal evidence. I want data that shows failures related to not changing the fluid vs. changing it. I am with Freds430 on this one. I will trust the engineers at Toyota. I have also heard the same thing (don't change the fluid) from Flow Lexus in Greensboro NC.
Old 02-14-18, 08:13 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

In my opinion the VW Aisin 09G transmission failures and later notice to change fluid at 40,000 miles is more than anecdotal.
Old 02-14-18, 09:09 AM
iolmaster
Racer

In my opinion the VW Aisin 09G transmission failures and later notice to change fluid at 40,000 miles is more than anecdotal.
No, that is exactly what it is. The RX does not use that transmission.

Last edited by iolmaster; 02-14-18 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-14-18, 01:06 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

It (the TF-60SN) is similar enough being from the same manufacturer and having the same number of gears and being used on vehicles during the same model years to be used as a comparison. It was the one for 4 cylinder motors and ours (the U660E) is for 6 cylinder motors.

Both use a Lepelletier gear design https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lepell...gear_mechanism

You will never find data on the exact transmission in this vehicle. You are seeking the holy grail about this issue. I was speaking in generalities about any automatic transmissions as I think that is the standard to apply.
Old 02-15-18, 02:54 PM
royalleade
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by diverchris
At 120km/h my tach say 2900 RPM
Chris
Mine is at around 2400 at 120km/hr so I guess I am okay. Must be just my imagination. Thanks!
Old 02-15-18, 02:59 PM
royalleade
Driver School Candidate

I really did not notice your mileage was kilometers until now. I think for any transmission to fail at that low a mileage it must have had some manufacturing defect and that whether or not the fluid was changed would not be an issue.

I think the Lexus quality control staff will want to examine that transmission to determine the failure mode for future design reference. It would be great to find out what actually happened. The solenoid valve body was a problem on some earlier Aisin 6 speed automatics (think 09G) after they ran up a lot of miles, over 40,000.

You can confirm if you are in 6th gear by shifting over to S mode and watching the display on your dash. It should show a downshift and you should feel it.
I asked them lots of times if they can give any reason why this could have happened (since they kept my car for 10 days) but they said they can't say for sure and just gave some general possibilities.
And they said they could get a better idea if they opened up the transmission but they won't do that because Lexus won't pay them to do that.
The transmission fluid had metal filings in the pan so apparently they just send a picture of that to Lexus to get new transmission and labour paid for.
I never actually tried driving in S mode but its a good idea... I'll try it out to confirm. Thanks!
Old 02-15-18, 03:05 PM
royalleade
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iolmaster
I have seen all of that in the SC forum. Just a bunch of anecdotal evidence. I want data that shows failures related to not changing the fluid vs. changing it. I am with Freds430 on this one. I will trust the engineers at Toyota. I have also heard the same thing (don't change the fluid) from Flow Lexus in Greensboro NC.
The service manager at my lexus dealership said its better to change it at 80K km. Thats's 50K miles.
She also said the trans oil was in bad condition. Again the maintenance schedule says to change at 96K and I was at 101K so not so far away.
So who should we believe?

Quick Reply: Dead transmission