RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Need Advice on Buying Another RX Model

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-18, 09:21 AM
DebW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice on Buying Another RX Model

My most favorite car EVER, the 2001 RX300, was involved in an accident. I LOVE this car. All I have had to do is change the oil, brakes, tires, and the timing belt. Runs like a champ. Need to replace it and I am wondering, what is the best year of an RX to buy to replace it? I am looking at 2010 or older. Any years I should avoid?

Thank You!

Deb W
Old 02-12-18, 10:40 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, Deb. I'm sorry to hear about your RX300.

I've moved your thread over to the 3RX forum since you're looking at 2010+. There isn't necessarily a bad year for the RX. It might come down to what's important to you. There was a a fuel requirement change for 2012 MY, a mid gen refresh in 2013, and various features added or taken away through the years. I'd suggest taking a look at this comparison thread to start. While it was written by a former 450h owner, there's enough relevant information applicable to the 350. Just skip over the 450h specific parts. And when you do come across an RX that interests you, feel free to post details here. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-12-18, 10:54 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by DebW
My most favorite car EVER, the 2001 RX300, was involved in an accident. I LOVE this car. All I have had to do is change the oil, brakes, tires, and the timing belt. Runs like a champ. Need to replace it and I am wondering, what is the best year of an RX to buy to replace it? I am looking at 2010 or older. Any years I should avoid?

Thank You!

Deb W
Seems like what happened to me. In about 4 weeks will write my 1 year new to me ownership experience as I switched to 2011 RX450H.

Salim
Old 02-16-18, 07:28 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DebW

Thank You!

Deb W
I think you will be happier with a 2007-2009 model. The 2010-current models (new body style starting in 2016) are often panned for having a harsher ride and louder exhaust than the older RX. Their material quality is also worse - the leather in our 2010 is appropriate for a Honda Civic or Accord, not a $50k Lexus. Given that you were happy with your 2000 RX, I think you'll be much happier with a 2007-2009 - quieter, smoother, better riding, and with leather quality you'd expect from Lexus. It may not be as reliable as your 2000, but not much worse than a 2010+.

Test drive a few and let us know what you think.
Old 02-17-18, 07:35 AM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
I think you will be happier with a 2007-2009 model. The 2010-current models (new body style starting in 2016) are often panned for having a harsher ride and louder exhaust than the older RX. Their material quality is also worse - the leather in our 2010 is appropriate for a Honda Civic or Accord, not a $50k Lexus. Given that you were happy with your 2000 RX, I think you'll be much happier with a 2007-2009 - quieter, smoother, better riding, and with leather quality you'd expect from Lexus. It may not be as reliable as your 2000, but not much worse than a 2010+.

Test drive a few and let us know what you think.
I'd have to agree, the quality of my 2011 RX is less than my '05 RX. I'd look for a 2009 which is the last model year before the new style with low mileage and CPO. But as everyone said shop around and test as many RX's as you can and find one that you love. Also look at tire size too as the newer model have 20" tires that will be expensive to replace when they are worn out or if your road conditions are as bad as they are in Canada, the massive pot holes come into play too.
Old 02-18-18, 05:33 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Maybe it’s time to rethink your direction.

You could think outside of the box at this time and look at a “new” SUV such as a fully loaded Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, or Nissan Rogue for about $35,000. This way you have full warranty with everything new!

When you buy a used Lexus you may luck out... but then again you may have to add another 3-4 thousand to bring it up to your standard... new tires, brakes, rotors, shocks, struts, fluids,... will cost big buck if you cannot do it yourself.

Lexus may be a dependable brand but there are other options. I feel crash avoidance system, DAP, and back up sensors are a must in my future cars.

Good luck with what ever direction you take.
Old 02-18-18, 06:17 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by diverchris
I'd have to agree, the quality of my 2011 RX is less than my '05 RX. I'd look for a 2009 which is the last model year before the new style with low mileage and CPO. But as everyone said shop around and test as many RX's as you can and find one that you love. Also look at tire size too as the newer model have 20" tires that will be expensive to replace when they are worn out or if your road conditions are as bad as they are in Canada, the massive pot holes come into play too.
2009 is 9 yrs old. Lexus offering it as CPO is very unlikely.

Salim
Old 02-18-18, 06:18 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Gampa
..edit snip
Lexus may be a dependable brand but there are other options. I feel crash avoidance system, DAP, and back up sensors are a must in my future cars.
Dont know we managed to drive without these all these years

Salim
Old 02-19-18, 07:06 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's funny reading this cuzz I just purchased a 2015 RX with 18K miles and I am wondering what makes it a luxury car as it's really noisy engine and road noise is not what I would expect .
So , what is a luxury car , to me i'd shield me from noise , that's what I would want
Old 02-19-18, 09:51 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I think a Gen 2 before the introduction of Gen 3 in November 2008 would have been pretty good. Perhaps a 2008 model with Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) with swivel headlights, and height-adjustable air suspension on the all-wheel drive models, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control system, and rain-sensing wipers would have been good. There was also a Pebble Beach edition with 18 inch wheels which were nice. BTW. These were HID lights. ASIK, my current car uses halogen bulbs........ 1980's technology. Also the Gen 2's retained the center differential with viscous coupling. The Gen 3's have the electrical system that mimics 4WD, which blows.

I would also avoid the cooled seats (for me, at least) it can create havoc for seat comfort due to the location of the motor right under your ****.
Old 02-19-18, 11:06 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by MellonC00
I think a Gen 2 before the introduction of Gen 3 in November 2008 would have been pretty good. Perhaps a 2008 model with Adaptive Front-lighting System (AFS) with swivel headlights, and height-adjustable air suspension on the all-wheel drive models, Dynamic Laser Cruise Control system, and rain-sensing wipers would have been good. There was also a Pebble Beach edition with 18 inch wheels which were nice. BTW. These were HID lights. ASIK, my current car uses halogen bulbs........ 1980's technology. Also the Gen 2's retained the center differential with viscous coupling. The Gen 3's have the electrical system that mimics 4WD, which blows.

I would also avoid the cooled seats (for me, at least) it can create havoc for seat comfort due to the location of the motor right under your ****.
Interesting list! Reason I say interesting is as some of the items add marginal improvement, but have a huge repair bill and the probability of failure grows as the vehicle ages. ... such as AFS and air suspension. All the old vehicles with air suspension that I have seen [includes Caddies and Land Rovers] have broken air suspension and all owners have not had it fixed due to steep repair charge.

Salim
Old 02-20-18, 08:53 AM
HaywardLex
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to agree with the comments about the 3X not being up to what I would expect from a "luxury SUV" I bought a 2012 about 6 weeks ago, and although I like it, I am not impressed with the ride, road, and engine noise level. I expected that there would have been improvements over the 2X, or at least be equal, The fit and finish quality has also seemed to have slipped a little also. Although I'm not comparing apples to apples I have a 2005 GX that rides better and has less road noise, and is far better on ice and snow. That being said, if the reliability factor remains the same I'll be happy. I was looking at some 2009's but opted for the 2012 because of being newer and being I live in winter salt conditions it seemed like a better choice - thinking now a clean 2008 or 2009 might have been a better choice. Overall, it's sort of a disappointment that Lexus has sort of cheapened up on the 3X, I expected more.
Old 02-20-18, 09:39 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by salimshah
Interesting list! Reason I say interesting is as some of the items add marginal improvement, but have a huge repair bill and the probability of failure grows as the vehicle ages. ... such as AFS and air suspension. All the old vehicles with air suspension that I have seen [includes Caddies and Land Rovers] have broken air suspension and all owners have not had it fixed due to steep repair charge.

Salim
Good point! I see so many people complain about the air suspension malfunctioning on the Mercedes forum all the time. Perhaps I drooled off too many "wish" items I wanted to have..... However, I do like the AFS a lot (my other cars has this function)......
Old 02-20-18, 09:50 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

I wish there was a thorough comparison between a later years Gen 2 vs. Gen 3.......
Old 02-20-18, 01:08 PM
Luap
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Again , funny , I too , have a 2008 Gx470 that does everything better than my 2015 Rx

Sold my 2014 Infiniti QX50 that did sport luxury much much better than my Rx does luxury .

I will be in Phx area this weekend , hope to drive a Lincoln MKX and MKC , test show they are more luxury oriented , I mean "quite" and better ride

Originally Posted by HaywardLex
I have to agree with the comments about the 3X not being up to what I would expect from a "luxury SUV" I bought a 2012 about 6 weeks ago, and although I like it, I am not impressed with the ride, road, and engine noise level. I expected that there would have been improvements over the 2X, or at least be equal, The fit and finish quality has also seemed to have slipped a little also. Although I'm not comparing apples to apples I have a 2005 GX that rides better and has less road noise, and is far better on ice and snow. That being said, if the reliability factor remains the same I'll be happy. I was looking at some 2009's but opted for the 2012 because of being newer and being I live in winter salt conditions it seemed like a better choice - thinking now a clean 2008 or 2009 might have been a better choice. Overall, it's sort of a disappointment that Lexus has sort of cheapened up on the 3X, I expected more.

Quick Reply: Need Advice on Buying Another RX Model