RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Driver Side Mirror vibration

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-15, 08:15 AM
tsiripong
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattle side mirror Cover

Hello...

My 2011 RX's driver side mirror has a bit of a play in it... It makes a rattle noise when I shut the driver's door... Do any of you ever take the side mirror apart?? I don't know how it happen... just one day heard a bit of rattle when shut the door and notice that the housing has a little bit of a play in it...

Any help is appreciated...

Thank you.

Last edited by tsiripong; 06-11-15 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-02-18, 10:20 AM
leeleeb
Driver School Candidate

Question Driver Side Mirror vibration

I purchased a 2015 RX350 with 34,000 miles back in July. The driver side view mirror has a vibration, not visible in the mirror mechanism, but it looks as the it is the glass with in the mirror housing. I feel like I am seeing double. It happens much more going over bumps or rough road, but is still noticeable even on a flat surface, especially if it is a windy day. I have taken it back to the dealership several times now and am told unfortunately that is common because of the fact that it is able to be folded in. I have asked around and have yet to fine anyone that experiences this. They have supposedly replaced the entire unit the 1st time that I took it back, although oddly enough, I feel like I see it even more now, which makes me wonder if they ever replaced it, but rather tried to play around with the original. Has any one ever had this problem?

And one more question, with regard to the cupholder, the insert that allows the cups to be held in place rattles a lot. There is also no sort of rubber liner in the cupholder compartment itself. Any suggestions?
Old 02-02-18, 11:06 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

When I was searching for 2nd/3rd gen RX I noticed that the driver side mirror vibration in more than 1 vehicle. That left the impression that it is a common problem.

In your case you are observing vibration in the cupholder as well. It can be that the cup holder is loose as well but the two problems can have a common source ... vibrations from the engine/exhaust making it way to the cabin and the rest of the body. That can be due to bad engine mounts, bad hangers on the exhaust, poor gas, fouling of spark plugs, fouled up injectors. Although computer controls the idle speed, but if it is low, you can get vibrations too.

Salim
Old 02-03-18, 10:51 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just bought a used 2015 with 28K miles and see no vibration in the L/H mirror.
Old 02-03-18, 12:53 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 151 Posts

I bought a 2015 at the end of last Feb. and have noticed that the driver side mirror acts like it's lose. But with the nearest dealer 1 1/2 hour away I haven't done anything about it yet.

Randy
Old 04-05-18, 01:49 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Any idea what to tighten in the driver mirror?
Old 04-05-18, 07:53 PM
mountyone
10th Gear

Default Driver side mirrors are large

RE: Driver side mirror size

Who on this forum has an after market mirror that is small?
Mike
Old 04-06-18, 07:36 AM
Catwalk007
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by TriniLex
Any idea what to tighten in the driver mirror?
Check if it is original OEM, if it was replaced by an aftermarket, there's no way to tighten it; except you tighten your pocket and budget for
a new original one. Costs you around 2-3K...depends on!! Good luck bro!!
Old 04-06-18, 01:34 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

The center console cup holder insert can be removed by grabbing and pulling it up. It is just resting in there, no clips or snaps.
I remove mine sometimes to insert larger bottles. I suggest you remove and inspect it, maybe there is some dirt or other stuff in there making it rattle.
Old 04-14-18, 07:30 AM
dawsonta
Driver School Candidate

I purchased a 2016 Lexus RX 350 late last year. I too am having issues with driver's side mirror vibration. It happens on a flat road as well. I had the dealer replace the mirror but it is doing the same thing. It is so bad I can't even look in the mirror as the images are constantly vibrating. I plan on taking to my local mechanic to see if he has any ideas to fix. If successful, I will share with the group.

Separately, as someone new to Club Lexus could someone please tell me how to post to this forum? I found it easy to reply to one but am having difficulty figuring out how to post. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-17-18, 06:49 AM
Rosscoe83
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dawsonta
Separately, as someone new to Club Lexus could someone please tell me how to post to this forum? I found it easy to reply to one but am having difficulty figuring out how to post. Thanks in advance.
Hi there. To start a new post, click on the 'New Thread' button at the top, left of the thread list.
Old 06-10-18, 06:45 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Same problem on 2010 when I close the door
did you ever find the solution
thanks
Old 06-10-18, 10:55 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

It would be funny (or not) if the cause of loose mirrors on the gen 3 Lexus RX is the same as on the gen 3 Toyota Sienna Limited with power folding mirrors. I wouldn't be surprised if the same supplier supplies mirrors for both the RX and Sienna - especially since both are assembled in North America and share many common components.

An enterprising member of the Sienna Chat forum determined that the screws holding the mirror housing in place were too long and were bottoming out causing the mirror housings to be a little loose and the mirror glass to vibrate. Adding washers to the screws kept the screws from bottoming out and completely eliminated the looseness and the mirror glass vibrations.

Toyota replaced a lot of Sienna Limited power folding mirrors under warranty when dealers could have fixed the problem with inexpensive shorter screws or washers.

Here is a photo of the problem screws on a Sienna Limited mirror if someone wants to check his RX to see if it is a similar problem.

Old 06-14-18, 08:32 PM
Mikes94GS3
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Great idea, I just wish I knew how to get the cover off to expose the screws without breaking something!
Old 06-15-18, 06:46 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes94GS3
Great idea, I just wish I knew how to get the cover off to expose the screws without breaking something!
I assume that the entire mirror would have to be removed from the vehicle in order to see if there are screws similar to those on the gen 3 Sienna Limited on which loose mirrors have been a problem.

Open one of the front doors and look for a removable trim piece that covers the fasteners that hold the mirror to the door. The official name for the trim piece is " COVER, OUTER MIRROR INSTALL HOLE", part number 87963-0E010 for the right side and part number 87964-0E010 for the left side. I can't provide you with access to the online diagrams I use but you might be able to find diagrams online by googling the part numbers. Trim pieces like this are usually removed with a plastic/fiber trim removal tool - something that won't scratch interior trim. It looks to me that the exterior mirrors are attached to the gen 3 RX in the same way they are attached to our Prius, i.e. pop off the interior trim piece and then unbolt the mirror with a socket wrench.

I'm not guaranteeing that looseness of the swiveling portions of the exterior mirrors can be eliminated by adding washers to screws that hold it to the base or by otherwise eliminating the play - only that it is a possibility that the exterior mirrors attach to the rotating hubs on the bases similar to how it's done on the Sienna with power folding mirrors.

Edit: Yes, googling one of the part numbers will find diagrams showing what the trim covers look like.

Quick Reply: Driver Side Mirror vibration