RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Reliability: F Sport vs Standard

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-18, 07:48 PM
kureka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability: F Sport vs Standard

What are your thoughts on overall F Sport reliability? Perusing these threads I have discovered the 8 speed transmission has really caused frustration with some owners...so I ask, "Is the 8 speed transmission a real problem? Or just more of a nuisance to drivers when it sometimes has problems finding correct gear?"

Basically, I am in the market for a used vehicle that I can confidently run up to ~150,000-200,000 miles with regular preventative maintenance (my parents have each easily done this on multiple Toyota vehicles) and I'd like to think the right RX could do the same.

I've found a great 2013 F Sport with 68,000 miles that I'd LOVE to pull the trigger on. Lexus reliability is second to none....but if the F Sport truly has issues, I will avoid and go with a standard model or possibly a '13-14 Acura RDX or Toyota 4Runner.

Thanks guys! Just recently found Club Lexus and you all have been very helpful in making an informed decision!
Old 01-25-18, 05:49 AM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts
Lightbulb

Well I think I can add a little input to this thread. . .

The reliability of the RX350 13-15 F-Sport or Standard is Fan-Tab-Ulous (& no stealing my word) My wife has owned a RX350 since 2011 & the 2nd in 2015, with no issues whatsoever, I have recently returned a GX lease & purchased a 2014 RX F-Sport (to beat on) in the winter months because I do not drive my GSF in the winter I was a little worried that the RX would not give me as much enjoyment & reliability as my GX but surprisingly enough I an enjoying my F-Sport a lot more than i thought i would!!! Yes my wife has owned RX's so I know about the vehicle & know that it can maintain but it is different when you own it & drive it day to day, & I drive hard on all of my vehicles

In regards to the 8sp trainy, Not exactly the same trainy but in the GSF it works excellent with plenty of punch in all gears as well the 8th gear to help with the fuel economy. When I owned my GS350 F-Sport RWD which has 8 gears I was confused as to why it needed all those gears & realizing that it's all about the progression of technology, fuel consumption & sporty driving. . . I now find myself back in the mindset again with the RX F-Sport which has less power than both previously mentioned models, but again it's about progression of technology, fuel consumption & sporty driving with Lexus especially for this model & years!!! It just breaks down to driving the car & figuring out how the gearing works for the driver, are you a regular driver or are you a sporty Lexus enthusiast

With all that said I enjoy my RX F-Sport over my wifes RX with the 6sp trainy all day, not to mention the fact that i added a Throttle control as well. . .

Hope that little nugget of info helps you. . . I look forward to congratulating you on a purchase of a RX-F-Sport soon!!

CLS
Old 01-25-18, 03:03 PM
kureka
Driver School Candidate

Default More info needed

Thanks, this helps a lot but I am not completely sold! I was so close to purchasing but am still caught on this transmission but am happy to hear from yourself who has not had issues. How many miles do you have on your F Sport? How has maintenance been and have you had any notable repairs?

This will be my daily driver as well and I will drive it hard to the tune of 15-20k miles per year for hopefully at least three years. I would just really like to see some F Sport owners out there with high milage and no problems!!! COME OUT COME OUT PEOPLE!!! SHOULD I BUY THIS WEEKEND? HELP A BROTHER OUT
Old 01-27-18, 03:18 PM
KOOLFELLA
Advanced

Received 111 Likes on 53 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kureka
Thanks, this helps a lot but I am not completely sold! I was so close to purchasing but am still caught on this transmission but am happy to hear from yourself who has not had issues. How many miles do you have on your F Sport? How has maintenance been and have you had any notable repairs?

This will be my daily driver as well and I will drive it hard to the tune of 15-20k miles per year for hopefully at least three years. I would just really like to see some F Sport owners out there with high milage and no problems!!! COME OUT COME OUT PEOPLE!!! SHOULD I BUY THIS WEEKEND? HELP A BROTHER OUT
No noticeable repairs just regular maintenance every 5000 miles pretty much... Miles on my F-Sport 69k & miles on the Wifes 33k & I drive 12-15k miles a year myself so I understand...

The RX is the most reliable vechile in its class especially those years, you will not be disappointed!!👍🏾
Old 01-29-18, 12:53 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by KOOLFELLA

No noticeable repairs just regular maintenance every 5000 miles pretty much... Miles on my F-Sport 69k & miles on the Wifes 33k & I drive 12-15k miles a year myself so I understand...

The RX is the most reliable vechile in its class especially those years, you will not be disappointed!!👍🏾
Reliability was my first, second, and third criterion for buying an RX, and thus far I am perfectly satisfied. The older I get (even though I have more free time) I just despise messing around with costly and time consuming car repairs, many of which these days can be tough to diagnose.
Old 01-29-18, 01:51 PM
RealWing
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

My 2015 F Sport has 48,000 Km and hasn't been inside a dealer shop since I bought it - Zero problems - HOWEVER it has a very annoying exhaust drone vibration at about 1600 rpm. There is currently no fix from Lexus so I'm trying to fix it myself. make sure you drive it at various speeds close to 100 Km/hr or ~62 mph to see if you hear any noise.
Old 01-30-18, 09:19 AM
smknkeyz
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

104,000 fun filled miles on the F Sport as of this morning, and still going strong. Love this car more and more every time I get in and drive. It handles all driving conditions very well. I honestly don't notice the 8 speed trans difference, but I am coming from a caddy SRX and not a previous gen RX. Only maintenance has been tires, oil, and fluids. Get it!
Old 02-01-18, 08:47 PM
kureka
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys - hoping to purchase after a successful test drive tomorrow! You're all good salesmen!

I also understand the F Sport brakes wear more quickly than standard. This by no means will effect my purchase, but I am wondering your experience.
Old 02-02-18, 08:46 AM
smknkeyz
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

104k on mine and I'm doing the front rotors and pads by choice as soon as the weather warms up here. No real reason except I bought drilled rotors and high performance pads. I have had the rotors cut once since purchase to remove a slight pulse that had started. No problems since.
Old 02-06-18, 04:20 PM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im approaching 80k on my 15 f sport. I have zero issues, neither do other families i know with the 8spd. I get some people may dislike the 8 on here and the gs forums...but have never heard of issues with it. Aside from another family couple of ours which the guy absolutely dislikes anything other that “5spd” transmissions and believes something is off in his 8spd with the butt dyno. In fact, after service rx loaners i couldnt wait to get back into my 8spd.