RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Recommendations for alternatives to RX?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-18, 04:58 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandi_k
Um, if *she* prefers Lexus, and *you* prefer Lexus, why don't you just buy the Lexus? If it's her daily driver, why in the world do you feel that you need to drag out the decision? Frankly, my car is my decision. If my DH tried to influence me away from the car I'd already indicated I wanted to buy, I would not be very pleased...
Good point, Sandi, and that is probably what will ultimately happen, stay with Lexus. Her ES is over 12 years old. A lot has changed in the automotive world in that time; new hybrids, full-electrics, more tech and safety options, etc. I wanted to make sure we don't have blinders on and only consider Lexus. All brands have improved and there are simply a lot more options now than back in 2005. I am sure we will be happy with another Lexus and I wanted to see if anything else would interest the wife. I don't want a situation where we get a Lexus and then she sees an SUV drive by and asks "What is that? It is cute, why didn't we get one of those?". Similar cases have occurred in the past with other types of purchases, "Oh, I didn't know that was available or an option...wish I knew that before we bought so and so". Since reliability still reigns supreme to my wife, we most likely will stick with Lexus.
Old 03-08-18, 05:39 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So I figure in the next two years I too will be searching for a replacement for my 2010 450h.
My wife current drives a 2018 Audi Q5 Prestige.
I am watching the reliability and performance of the 2.0 T as my number one replacement. So far in six months, no oil burning, no leaks, just plain fun. Lots of bells and whistles. I don’t think enough can be said about German engineering an Quattro traction.

but if you want the reliability of a Lexus...
I have also looked at a “ sleeper” in the Toyota Highlander Hybrid as a second option. A well equipment Limited Platinum comes in about $48,240, Base hylander hybrid LE for $42,000.
I thought this was a great replacement for the RX ... great gas milage... wth the option of 7 -8 passengers.

Good hunting what ever you choose!
Old 03-08-18, 10:07 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

2015 Mercedes E350 Wagon is a great car.
Old 03-11-18, 09:14 PM
Sylvan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The back story is we had an 09 BMW X5 Diesel that we just loved but after it went off warranty we started to get worried about a huge repair bill, it kept getting SES lights but once reset the same code wouldn’t come back. We traded it and bought a 14’ Acadia Denali it was more affordable than the BMW and had 0% financing, however it was nice the first year but it was far from high end. I hated visiting the dealerships I tried a couple and really had a bad taste in my mouth I had free service for 5years and they constantly tried to upsell me and even threatened voiding my warranty if I didn’t pay for inspections with the free oil change. So irritated by the loud clunky underpowered Denali we went looking for something else.
I love the Lexus brand and The RX was the one I went planning to buy and was nice and sporty (2014 F-sport) it was the first we drove and even liked it so much we made an offer but the dealer was firm on price saying “ we just got it in” although they had 5 virtually identical white ones on the lot. The Infiniti which my sister has and we always thought was nice was next on the list after driving the RX we just didn’t like the Infiniti although they called me several times trying to get me to come back and work out a deal... Lexus never once called me back and had made them an offer. The 14’ MDX was next I was never a Honda/Acura fan but after driving it, we felt it was head and shoulders above the others the ride and the seats were very plush and comfortable. If I was buying something for myself the RX might have got the nod with how sporty and nimble it felt but the wife/family the comfort or the MDX was the answer. The wife still loves it and I enjoy the times I drive it as well.

**edit I just read you drove a 14’ tech and didn’t like it.... I guess it’s all a matter of preference, if you’re buying new give the X5 a hard look we loved ours but this time around we were looking for something more affordable.

Last edited by Sylvan; 03-11-18 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-08-18, 11:42 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Good point, Sandi, and that is probably what will ultimately happen, stay with Lexus. Her ES is over 12 years old. A lot has changed in the automotive world in that time; new hybrids, full-electrics, more tech and safety options, etc. I wanted to make sure we don't have blinders on and only consider Lexus. All brands have improved and there are simply a lot more options now than back in 2005. I am sure we will be happy with another Lexus and I wanted to see if anything else would interest the wife. I don't want a situation where we get a Lexus and then she sees an SUV drive by and asks "What is that? It is cute, why didn't we get one of those?". Similar cases have occurred in the past with other types of purchases, "Oh, I didn't know that was available or an option...wish I knew that before we bought so and so". Since reliability still reigns supreme to my wife, we most likely will stick with Lexus.
My 2010 RX350 is now at 8.5 years old, and 218K miles. I'm looking out for my next car as well. Lexus is high on my list, due to reliability and longevity. I hate squeaks and rattles, and that has also been a Lexus strength.

I am considering the NX300h - the one downside to the RX350 has been its gas mileage. So if I do buy another Lexus, the NX300h is high on my "to be considered" list, as is the RX450 (probably off-lease) and possibly the Acura RDX (will there be a hybrid version?) or the Highlander Hybrid.

You can "compare cars" on Edmunds' site - mileage, warranty, transmission, etc. I am very much NOT excited about a CVT, but Honda has moved towards them, and now Toyota is too.

Just some thoughts from someone else considering their next purchase, too.
Old 04-08-18, 02:42 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

My 2010 RX350 is now at 8.5 years old, and 218K miles. I'm looking out for my next car as well. Lexus is high on my list, due to reliability and longevity. I hate squeaks and rattles, and that has also been a Lexus strength.

I am considering the NX300h - the one downside to the RX350 has been its gas mileage. So if I do buy another Lexus, the NX300h is high on my "to be considered" list, as is the RX450 (probably off-lease) and possibly the Acura RDX (will there be a hybrid version?) or the Highlander Hybrid.

You can "compare cars" on Edmunds' site - mileage, warranty, transmission, etc. I am very much NOT excited about a CVT, but Honda has moved towards them, and now Toyota is too.

Just some thoughts from someone else considering their next purchase, too.
Yes, the NX has entered our conversation too. I really like the revised front bumper on the 2018 NX F Sport but we are not planning to buy new. Test drove a 2013 RX hybrid and it is nicely appointed inside and rides well except I am not really a fan of the hybrid systems. I like the idea of hybrid tech, especially in SUVs/Crossovers/Minimvans, but the RX hybrid felt noticeably heavier and slower despite the electric torque. Although the ICE transition is smoother than in the the past, it is still easily detected and annoying even on a short test drive. I have been perusing the NX forums to learn more about the model and it may suit our needs better. Still evaluating...
Old 04-08-18, 03:03 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2010 RX350 is now at 8.5 years old, and 218K miles. .
We have to appreciate Sandi_k 218k miles in his 2010 RX350. That surely is a milestone few of us will achieve.

Is there any advise, maintenance , or after market products you can give to us 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation owners so we could achieve the high miles... or give us insight as what to expect miles down the road.

Great job!
Old 04-08-18, 07:13 PM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

but the RX hybrid felt noticeably heavier and slower despite the electric torque.
If you're considering the NX, it's even slower. Our 400h & 450h wouldn't even compare to something like the F-Pace but the 400h was quick and our 450h is quick as well. The electric torque really helps with accelerating from a stop & passing. If you were casually test driving you may have not been able to really experience this They do feel heavy but those batteries and motor(s) add some weight.

Last edited by takeshi74; 04-08-18 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-09-18, 04:10 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

NX is so uncomfortable to seat in,I would not even take for a test drive
I am about 6'-2" and 250
have you look at a Used Venza ?
Old 07-13-18, 09:07 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Gampa

We have to appreciate Sandi_k 218k miles in his 2010 RX350. That surely is a milestone few of us will achieve.

Is there any advise, maintenance , or after market products you can give to us 1st, 2nd, or 3rd generation owners so we could achieve the high miles... or give us insight as what to expect miles down the road.

Great job!
Um, Sandi_k is not a "he" - I'm a "she."

My advice is to be proactive with routine maintenance. Make sure you have a service schedule, and stick to it. Use synthetic oil. That's it.

Up to 225k miles now.
Old 07-13-18, 09:08 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Airbalance
NX is so uncomfortable to seat in,I would not even take for a test drive
I am about 6'-2" and 250
have you look at a Used Venza ?
I looked at them in 2009 when I was considering the RX350. The Venzas had 20" wheels standard with the V6 engine, and the ride was too harsh.
Old 07-16-18, 10:59 AM
MacCat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't like the new styling they started in 2016 and the RX suffered that year.
Instead, I hunted down a 2015 model and got exactly what I wanted for half- the original price.

I have been test driving other SUV's and there are only two that I think are in the same class for comfort, room, and performance.

The Mercedes ML-350 (discontinued model) is smoother and has feather light power steering.
The Cadillac Escalade (way expensive and not terribly dependable, but it's a beautiful vehicle).
Volvo's XC-60 (a tad smaller, similar features, rougher ride)

Dealers are better about letting you take a car home to test drive, park, share. Do it !
And, if you have to rent a car, rent one from a car dealer and check it out. I did.

I'm sticking with the RX 350's line, although I'm really worried about the new tariffs on cars, because it's assembled in Canada !
Old 03-05-19, 05:43 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

We also test drove a 2014 MDX Technology but were not impressed at all. It was very disappointing since it rates so well on paper and in reviews. In person the MDX wasn't particularly nimble as the SH-AWD would suggest. It was stylish outside but interior was a big downgrade compared to even our 2006 LS 430. MDX JBL stereo was terrible, I had to turn it off after a few minutes. Fitment and body gaps were inconsistent and just so much cheap plastic everywhere. I was excited about an MDX, until I met it in person. I liked the hidden storage beneath the cargo area but the third row was very cramped and only meant for kids or to punish an adult. If anything, the memory of the MDX test drive makes me appreciate the RX more.
When those 3 are all fully loaded and long term ownership aside, RX will be in 3rd spot. For long term service cost comes into play after factory warranty
runs out, IMO. My son's one BMW is just over the warranty period. For 4 years no issuesm just oil changes. Over the weekend it wouldn't start. Take it
in for service. Cost was 4,500.00 CAD. During my ownership of Lexus I never has such $$$ for any service. Main cul[rit on BMW was IBS(intelligent battery sensor),
time for all ign. coil, spark plug, valve cover gasket, while at it replace replace eccentric sensor replacement as a preventive measure while cover is open. New battery and sensor
and calibration registraion of battery, belt tensioner work out, etc.. Labor charge plus 5% tax.
Old 03-05-19, 07:26 PM
14RX350
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

When looking at the lexus RX350, other cars I liked we're the 2018 Acura MDX, and the 2018 Audi Q7. Looking back, I wouldn't want to deal with the running costs of the Audi, although I did love the car. I also liked the 2018 Toyota highlander. Looking back I would have considered the Subaru Forester as well. Drove a 2014 Acura MDX, but didn't like it at all. Liked the 2018 Honda Pilot, but the transmission scared me off. Too many reviews about problems with the new 9 speed.
Old 03-05-19, 08:24 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 14RX350
When looking at the lexus RX350, other cars I liked we're the 2018 Acura MDX, and the 2018 Audi Q7. Looking back, I wouldn't want to deal with the running costs of the Audi, although I did love the car. I also liked the 2018 Toyota highlander. Looking back I would have considered the Subaru Forester as well. Drove a 2014 Acura MDX, but didn't like it at all. Liked the 2018 Honda Pilot, but the transmission scared me off. Too many reviews about problems with the new 9 speed.
I drove 2008 MDX without any issues except timing belt replacement. Traded it in for 2015 MDX, like you experienced that ZF tranny was really bad.
I dumped it after logging ~3K miles for 2015 BMW X5

Quick Reply: Recommendations for alternatives to RX?