RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Battery life/replacement? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-18, 02:35 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,200 Likes on 1,026 Posts

That is close to the original specs. I looked at what Autozone, a large US parts chain had for the RX and 720 amps is right in the upper part of their range. Meaning, the better batteries had around that many amps.
Old 09-15-18, 02:07 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update:

Well, turns out Costco battery was CCA 620 and $136

Checked my records and yes the previous battery was on a breakdown service call out, cost $236

So pretty happy, 2 years 3 months later and $100 less, plus got warranty extended to 42 months with an online registration offer

Cheers
Old 09-18-18, 08:41 PM
Sharkfishi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus oem

I would go with dealer lexus oem .Paid 190$ out door for 650cc .Orginal last 5 years ,new has 84 months Lexus warranty
Old 09-19-18, 05:48 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Or call AAA and they come to you.

Originally Posted by Sharkfishi
I would go with dealer lexus oem .Paid 190$ out door for 650cc .Orginal last 5 years ,new has 84 months Lexus warranty
Old 09-19-18, 06:06 AM
Sharkfishi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Or call AAA and they come to you.
U right but from me experience Lexus oem battery last that longest because my car sitting on lot for 5 days every week only one battery was better Optima but summit racing dosen't have sale at time
Old 09-19-18, 10:55 AM
JerseyJim
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sears has a 725 CCA DieHard battery on sale that will fit your car for $116.24 (Size EP25F). I have been using these batteries for years with excellent longevity.
Old 09-19-18, 11:33 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, it's an excellent price. I think they will install it at no charge. However, several years ago I had gone to a PepBoys nearby where my MB SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE's battery was on the brinks. They happened to have one that will work, but they refused to install it citing that they don't want to be responsible for my car if anything goes wrong!! I was going on a trip so I just buy it and asked to borrow their tools (after some discussion, the manager said OK since they will not install it for me). I did the swap in about half an hour (I also used a booster jumper to retain the car's memory settings). It's not too hard. But if your are in 100 degree F heat or in 10 degree F freezing temperatures, then it will not be so easy.....

Another thing to keep in mind is with AAA you get nation wide warranty coverage and they come to you. I know Sears and Lexus DEALERSHIPs are "nation wide" too, but not every small town has a Sears/Lexus dealership.....

Originally Posted by JerseyJim
Sears has a 725 CCA DieHard battery on sale that will fit your car for $116.24 (Size EP25F). I have been using these batteries for years with excellent longevity.
Old 09-19-18, 11:33 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Another thing to keep in mind is with AAA you get nation wide warranty coverage and they come to you. I know Sears and Lexus DEALERSHIPs are "nation wide" too, but not every small town has a Sears/Lexus dealership.....

Originally Posted by Sharkfishi
U right but from me experience Lexus oem battery last that longest because my car sitting on lot for 5 days every week only one battery was better Optima but summit racing dosen't have sale at time
Old 09-19-18, 11:49 AM
smknkeyz
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Love my Optima Yellow top! I doubt I'll ever replace again while owning the car.
Old 09-19-18, 01:46 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, they are great. No doubt about it that is If you wana spend the bucks. The Yellow Top Optima battery has a 36 month free replacement warranty which is the same as the Lexus (Panasonic) and other top premium brands. The cost is too much to justify the higher cost. Unless I'm driving around in Death Valley and jumping sand dunes or driving around in the Great White North doing the ice trucker thing where my life depended on my truck sorta thing.......

Originally Posted by smknkeyz
Love my Optima Yellow top! I doubt I'll ever replace again while owning the car.
Old 11-12-18, 12:25 PM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 RX 350 Dead Battery

This will be my third battery that is dead. The last two were not replaced at Lexus dealership, but at Autozone. I am now thinking of getting it replaced at the dealership. I would like your experience in assisting me decide whether it makes sense to go OEM. My local dealer is roughly 75-80 miles away - so if there is strong evidence that dealership batteries perform well - how about local Toyota dealer? I assume, cost wise, Lexus > Toyota > Autozone/Walmart (generic). I am fine with any of those as long as I know from others' experience that it would be a wise investment. Thank you!
Old 11-12-18, 12:45 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

Battery is battery. There's handful of manufacturers in the world and they simply re brand their products per car brand. You need to find out why your batteries go bad. Something ain't right in that department.
Old 11-12-18, 12:57 PM
lexusrxus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
You need to find out why your batteries go bad. Something ain't right in that department.
You are absolutely right. And I have turned everything to none in vehicle customization (like timing of headlights being on after exit from car, etc.) to see if that makes a difference. I get the vehicle serviced regularly. Its only 75K, and no trouble at all. So in bigger scheme of things, its only a battery issue, but I completely agree, something is not right.

I understand you are saying it doesn't matter when I get it replaced, and that the dealership do not do anything more (computer programming, etc.) that the generic vendor would do.

Old 11-12-18, 01:11 PM
budwom
Advanced

Received 228 Likes on 155 Posts

how much are you paying for your battery? It's not an ultra cheapo model, is it?
Old 11-13-18, 05:06 AM
RX in NC
Racer

Received 434 Likes on 346 Posts

Clean and burnish your battery terminal connections and posts. Ensure that all battery cells are topped up with distilled water as necessary. Check the ground strap on the battery to ensure that it is making a solid connection with the chassis and burnish it if necessary. A little battery maintenance from time to time can go a long way towards keeping them alive for an extended duration. I do all of these things on every vehicle we own and typically get at least 7 or 8 years out of each battery regardless of what it cost new.

Quick Reply: Battery life/replacement? (merged threads)