RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Battery life/replacement? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-18, 03:23 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

You mean something like the attached?

It's on sale with the coupon attached until March 31, 2018!!!

Originally Posted by riredale
Another thing, I don't know what was meant by a "battery booster pack" mentioned earlier, but if it's one of these great big things with beefy jumper cables, perhaps that's not necessary these days. You can buy a tiny little pack the size of a brick that works great. I used mine to start a nearby stranded pickup truck V8 in a Costco parking lot last year. These things contain lithium cells and can product huge currents for a short time. Costco had 'em for about $40 before Christmas.
Old 03-28-18, 03:28 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

If you have AAA, just call AAA and they will come to you and swap out with a brand new battery (for a fee, of course). But seriously, AAA's price is not too bad considering they come out to you and do the install for one price.

If your vehicle is still under warranty, then call the dealership. Otherwise, I would call AAA. Sure beats you having to go to Costco or PepBoys or whatever.

Originally Posted by Yurka
I would like to replace my car battery sometime soon because it isn't good anymore, any suggestions on some specific type/brand for a durable one?
Old 03-28-18, 04:02 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
If you have AAA, just call AAA and they will come to you and swap out with a brand new battery (for a fee, of course). But seriously, AAA's price is not too bad considering they come out to you and do the install for one price.

If your vehicle is still under warranty, then call the dealership. Otherwise, I would call AAA. Sure beats you having to go to Costco or PepBoys or whatever.
\

i don't have AAA but i have warranty on my rx, so you're sayin a dealer can swap for a new one for free or i have to pay - its just less than buying one from PepBoys?
Old 03-28-18, 04:17 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

If it is still under ORIGINAL factory warranty, then it should be covered. Extended Warranty may work differently with a deductible.

To find out, just call the Lexus dealership you bought it from (or any Lexus dealership). They will need your information plus the VIN# to look it up. What they are looking for is "date first put into service" which USUALLY is the day you bought it (new), but not necessarily true in ALL CASES. For example, sometimes a Lexus dealership will "mark" it as sold for Lexus HQ accounting purposes in order to meet some sales quota. But some months went by and you bought it. So it is possible that the "date first put into service" maybe SOMETIME BEFORE you bought it!!

Good luck.

I've never had to replace a battery under original warranty. It seemed like the battery fails ONE DAY or later AFTER the original warranty!!! LOL.
​​​​

\

i don't have AAA but i have warranty on my rx, so you're sayin a dealer can swap for a new one for free or i have to pay - its just less than buying one from PepBoys?
Old 04-02-18, 04:53 AM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

on my 2015 RX350, the OEM battery died at 3 years 3 months. Still in warranty. I called Lexus Roadside Assistance, and told them the battery was dead, sitting in my garage. Told em next morning would be soon enough. I had put my charger on it, but it wouldn't charge. They said they'd have the dealer call me in the morning. Dealer called and my battery was still dead. They sent a guy with a battery. He was here in 45 minutes after the call and put in a new battery. No questioning my bad battery. It was that quick and easy with factory warranty.
Old 05-10-18, 11:46 AM
Janist6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car Battery

In need of a battery for my '13 RX 350... Any suggestions?
Old 05-10-18, 12:49 PM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts

in the market you've basically got 2 choices..made by Johnson Controls or Deka. Most of the market share out there is Johnson Controls made with different tiers. Be sure its a group 24F fitment. I'd go wherever they have the best prorate warranty available and convenience like Walmart or Costco. I've had batteries from both places and take advantage of their prorate/return policies before end of expected service life.
Old 05-10-18, 12:57 PM
Janist6
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, thanks for the info.
Old 05-10-18, 06:42 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lexus too prorates their batteries, at least in Canada.
Old 05-10-18, 07:48 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,103 Likes on 992 Posts

Originally Posted by diverchris
Lexus too prorates their batteries, at least in Canada.
hmmm .. I was under the impression that during bumper to bumper coverage, the coverage was 100% [maybe in USA]
Salim
Old 05-11-18, 02:54 AM
Mrvmax
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve had good experience with Advance Auto AGM batteries in other vehicles of mine. Due to the heat in south Texas batteries tend to only last for three years but I haven’t had them long enough to check longevity. You can buy the Advamce Auto batteries online and usually they have 20% off coupon codes then you pick them up at a local store.
Old 05-11-18, 03:40 PM
diverchris
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
hmmm .. I was under the impression that during bumper to bumper coverage, the coverage was 100% [maybe in USA]
Salim
I was referring to when you replace your battery after warranty has expired.
Old 09-09-18, 12:44 AM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Originally Posted by doumat
I have a RX350 , 2012 and 30 minutes after driving it, I tried to start it and it wouldn't start. Can't lock the doors automatically, just a few lights come and go on the dash. I suspect the battery has given up (5 years old). I checked the battery terminals and loosened/re-tightened as well as checked battery fluid levels which seem okay.

I'm wondering if it is the battery but was thinking of picking one up at Costco and changing it anyway, BUT, can I change it without messing up any settings (radio code, power window settings, tire pressure sensor settings), OR am I best to get a tow to the dealer and have them do it?

Thanks everyone !
Our Lexus wouldn't start this morning, so I jumped it. It was installed 26-May-2015. I was going to Costco anyway (at North Lakes for you Aussies), so I had them check it, they didn't have the exact one in stock.

They pointed out the battery in there, not original, was CCA720, that is Cold Cranking Amps, so obviously the higher, the better. It started fine after I had driven it but it is on the way out for sure.

Did you guys take any notice of the specifications of either the dead battery or the new one? They had one the same physical size, it is quite compact, but CCA520 for $125 while the CCA720 is $150.

I told him I would look around, which I did and now I find that is quite a good price, have to fit it myself. Anyone have any recent battery problems or information to share?

Thanks
Old 09-09-18, 08:55 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,199 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Get the CCA720 as you always need more amps and it will last longer. The battery install is easy, just remove the visible hold down bolts and cables and quickly swap them out and reconnect. You should not lose any memory on anything. I too have the Costco battery.
The following users liked this post:
TheSnowman (09-09-18)
Old 09-09-18, 12:36 PM
TheSnowman
Rookie

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Get the CCA720 as you always need more amps and it will last longer. The battery install is easy, just remove the visible hold down bolts and cables and quickly swap them out and reconnect. You should not lose any memory on anything. I too have the Costco battery.
Definitely that is the plan, as I mentioned, the price is great. I called one of the mobile places, it was on Sunday, and they quoted over $200.

I will call them today to order the CCA720 for us.

I was hoping to find out whether the original specs were for 720CCA or did we get lucky on the last battery install which I think was from a breakdown service call.

Quick Reply: Battery life/replacement? (merged threads)