RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Occasional Metallic Jingling Sound on Driver's Side

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-17, 07:29 AM
camlex
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am so happy ,its over and believe me sometime finding noise is not easy, so please don't feel bad. Please Thanks to your wife.
I don't know what we could do without them.

Happy New Year to you, family and friends, lexus friends etc.. sleep well. Lol.
enjoy driving.!!
Take care.
Old 12-26-17, 09:29 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by pianomanca
I think my wife figured it out, and it embarrasses me to admit what we think it turned out to be. During our drive to my parent's house, the occasional metallic jingling sound happened again on rough pavement and I started out on the intensive search to figure out the culprit, when my wife pulled out my keys that I instinctively and consistently set in the lower part of the center console whenever I drive (on the black plastic near our feet, where the power outlet is). After removing those, no more noise. I can't believe this has been driving me crazy for the past ~6 months, and it turned out it was my keys. :P

I feel pretty dumb, but glad that we finally figured it out. Thank you again, Camlex, for all of your help, and for teaching me what servos are! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year, and Happy Holidays to you all!
You have just establish the first step in finding the source of cabin noise ... empty the vehicle.

As far as 'duh' moments ... I think I am blessed as I will be perpetually entertained ... well as long as my memory serves me.

Salim
Old 01-02-18, 09:09 AM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha, you're right, @Salimshah! Though still probably wouldn't have figured it out without the wife, because I always have to have keys to drive it, and I would have probably just kept putting the keys down there in the console (with an otherwise empty car) and wondering why I kept occasionally hearing that annoying noise! :P

Happy New Year, Everyone!
Old 01-03-18, 07:31 AM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

So yesterday I thought I heard something very faintly for the first time since Christmas Eve (you guessed it, a metallic jingling sound from the driver's side), but my wife didn't. This morning, I heard it again, and she didn't...until it came back and she did too. It seems very faint and again, only on rough pavement and only very occasionally. But I was holding the keys, so it wasn't those...and I even tried holding the little cotter pin on the brake pedal assembly and I believe it made the noise while holding that...so I doubt it's that.

It seems more faint than before (the keys might have been the main culprit)...but I don't know what it could be... :P
Old 01-04-18, 03:33 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

Default Out of ideas...

So I thought it was the keys but it wasn’t. The jingling was gone for several days but it’s back...always occasional and in particular roads that are rough. It’s not as if it’s when there’s a big bump, just tougher pavement.

I thought I had found a loose screw/washer down below, but tightening it didn’t work either. I feel like I’m always down in the footwell and I’m out of ideas. The roads around the Lexus dealership don’t show the jingling...so taking it in is unlikely to result in them even hearing it...

Any other ideas? I’m 99% sure it’s in the car, it’s not related to servos (tested changing temps/modes), and it sounds just like a loose washer jingling ever so faintly and occasionally ok rougher pavement...

Thank you!
Old 01-04-18, 03:39 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

...And forgot to mention it’s an F-sport, in case that matters.

Thanks again!
Old 01-04-18, 06:23 PM
salimshah

About a year ago, I picked 2011 450h. It has lot of false baffles underneath. There are drain holes, but there were many small rocks, pebbles and leaves which I slapped out. Does not explain metallic sound tough.

Other thing I noticed is that the space between the center console and seats is very narrow. You may like to lift the front seats all the way up and reach from the rear with slender long fingers to extricate any dropped change.

If you have any kids .. their hearing is usually sharper and they can triangulate the source of sound better.
Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 01-04-18 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-12-18, 07:35 AM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

Hi Salim,

Tried the checking-between-the-front-seats thing...no luck. The sound went away for about a week, and this morning (just as I was commenting to my wife that it didn't make the noise), it of course happened a couple times again. I had thought that it might be the medal spring/ring behind the emergency brake pedal...but it's unfortunately not that.

The weather has been wet the last week...I wonder if that could have any part in dampening the ride and make it not jingle? This morning was still damp, but not very wet out...
Old 01-12-18, 10:49 AM
salimshah

I have couple of magnets at the tip of telescoping thing ... almost looks like extendable antenna on a old portable radio. You can try to blindly collect magnetizable metal (won't work on aluminum) by sweeping it.

I have not taken apart any seats, but some seats use metal clips to anchor one seat spring with the other. They can also produce jingle if they are loose.

Unfortunately my suggestions are groping in the dark. You have to narrow down the source. Kinda hard when it is intermittent. You can always turn up the stereo!

Salim
Old 01-14-18, 01:06 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

Hi Salim,

I just emailed the Lexus dealer and will take it in specifically for this (not coupled with a service). It's frustrating how it'll go away for like a week sometimes... It seems more prominent when it's dry out. I read somewhere how the cars' hood hinges can potentially make such a noise, so I WD-40ed that...but no luck.

Today, I took a video where you can hear the ringing. You can particularly hear it at around:
:10
:15
:30
:38
:47

Video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxy8kdy45z...Sound.mov?dl=0

-Charlie
Old 01-14-18, 09:34 PM
salimshah

Over the net our ears cant triangulate the source of sound.
My mind was unable to match the tone to any expected source of sound .. other than it does sound metallic.
Maybe some one else can.

So lets start at step 1.
Open up the hood and check for any tool left behind .. I generally place small wrench or screwdriver on the ledge below the windscreen [also referred to as the cowl].
Empty out the entire RX ... all compartments, glove box, cd changer, cadets, hatch area, spare wheel (and its tie down, jack, tools pouch. I know but for a short ride it would are ok .. just carry cell phone.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 01-16-18 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-16-18, 08:00 PM
Ceclex
Driver School Candidate

Hello, I believe I have the same mettalic jingle noise coming from my 2015 rx as well. The noise is coming from near the emergency brake and happens daily especially on cold starts. I took it to the dealer and went for a road test with the mechanic and unfortunately the noise could not be reproduced. At first the noise seemed to be very intermittent but just today I realized that it can be reproduced by pressing the regular brake pedal lightly while the car is in motion . I live in Toronto and am waiting for the deep freeze to pass so I can take a closer look in that area and hopefully figure out what's causing the noise.
Old 01-18-18, 12:03 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

I was driving on a rougher portion of the interstate the other day where the metallic jingle was more frequent. I was playing with the position of the steering wheel and found that I could get the noise to become louder depending on where it was. For me, it seemed that when I had the steering wheel just shy of fully extended toward me, it was the loudest, and there seemed to be a sweet spot where, while moving the steering wheel back/forth, I could get it to ring louder. So I'm convinced that, at least for me, the source is somewhere in the steering wheel/column. Taking it in on Tuesday morning to have them fix it.

Good luck!
-Charlie
Old 05-08-19, 03:25 PM
pianomanca
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I didn't get around to posting an update. After taking it in, they figured out it was some metal ring somewhere in the steering column that was ringing. When the steering wheel is fully extended (closest to the seat) or retracted, it doesn't seem to ring (I might have heard it briefly a couple or so times over the past year and a half or so, but I'm not sure).

The only solution would be to completely replace the steering column. I was told that it was not a safety issue at all, and that it wouldn't be covered under the warranty.

-Charlie