RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Please Help (shutter during acceleration)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 02:46 PM
paulvcao79
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help (shutter during acceleration)

I have 2014 RX 350 w/ 63,300 miles. I started feeling a slight shutter when I accelerate slowly 20-45 mph. So I went to get my ATF, thinking that it will solve the problem. The problem was still there. Then I brought it in to Lexus and explain the problem. No one drove my car to feel what I was noticing. Was told I needed another ATF and reset transmission. That it would fix the problem. 4 days later went to pick up car, After $450 for another ATF, the problem was still there. Brought my car back in. Now was told that my transmission was contaminated with water. Now my question:
If water was in my transmission, why wasn't it noticed in the 1st or the 2nd ATF?
Why wasn't it noticed the 1st time I brought it in at Lexus?
When I mention my power train warranty, all of a sudden, there is water in my transmission.
who can I trust if i can't trust the dealership?
Old 11-01-17, 03:14 PM
lawjaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

by shutter, u mean some jerkiness?
i feel i have some jerkiness during that speed as well. ver slightly..mines only 25k miles on 2014 rx350

so the dealer changed your ATF and reported water afterwards? so shouldnt it be the dealer's fault then?

im sure if you argue enough, and since ur still under warranty, you should have a case of them fixing it up for u.

at the end of the day... you can call lexus corporate and complain about it.. they might do something about it.
Old 11-01-17, 05:26 PM
paulvcao79
Driver School Candidate

Default Lawjaii

Well Jiffy Lube did my 1st ATF, 2 week later brought it to Lexus dealership and was told I needed another ATF. A week later brought my car in, then they detected water in transmission. Wouldn’t you have noticed the water from the 1st time they looked at it?
Old 11-01-17, 06:38 PM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,197 Likes on 1,023 Posts

What brand and type ATF did the Jiffy Lube use? Did they do a flush or a drain and fill? The flush is very complicated to set the proper fluid level and I think beyond their capabilities. A drain and fill only does 2 quarts at a time. Was it any different after the Jiffy change? How did they determine there was water present? I would ask for a sample to send to a lab in case it becomes a warranty issue.

Last edited by Clutchless; 11-01-17 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-01-17, 09:49 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,101 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjaii
by shutter, u mean some jerkiness?
i feel i have some jerkiness during that speed as well. ver slightly..mines only 25k miles on 2014 rx350

so the dealer changed your ATF and reported water afterwards? so shouldnt it be the dealer's fault then?

im sure if you argue enough, and since ur still under warranty, you should have a case of them fixing it up for u.

at the end of the day... you can call lexus corporate and complain about it.. they might do something about it.
Cant speak for dealership, but I can only detect water once I drain the fluid and see fluid over globs of water,

Salim
Old 11-02-17, 09:14 AM
paulvcao79
Driver School Candidate

Lagging. Nothing was reported after changing ATF. Both times. When I noticed the problem still present, brought the car back to dealership, now they detect water in transmission. If water was in the transmission, shouldn't it be noticed the very 1st time or the 2nd time they did ATF? Once I mention that my vehicle is still under power train warranty, the transmission all of a sudden has water in it. And it voids the warranty.
Old 11-02-17, 11:15 AM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by paulvcao79
Lagging. Nothing was reported after changing ATF. Both times. When I noticed the problem still present, brought the car back to dealership, now they detect water in transmission. If water was in the transmission, shouldn't it be noticed the very 1st time or the 2nd time they did ATF? Once I mention that my vehicle is still under power train warranty, the transmission all of a sudden has water in it. And it voids the warranty.
The transmission is sealed.
Who did the first Change? Was it drain and fill or flush?
Who did the second Change? was it drain and fill or flush?

Salim
Old 11-02-17, 01:27 PM
paulvcao79
Driver School Candidate

Jiffy Lube did the first change. Drain and fill
Lexus did the 2nd change. Drain and fill ( 2 weeks after) and transmission reset
after both change nothing was detected or reported of contamination. But the lagging was still there.
Brought back in to dealership, then noticed water in tranny. So why wasn't it noticed after the ATF.
Old 11-02-17, 01:51 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

Lexus did the 2nd change. Drain and fill ( 2 weeks after) and transmission reset
after both change nothing was detected or reported of contamination. But the lagging was still there.
Brought back in to dealership, then noticed water in tranny. So why wasn't it noticed after the ATF.
I wouldn't trust Jiffy to lube my bicycle let alone an ATF, as others have said what fluid was used? On the 2nd ATF also a drop & fill, why not do a full flush and get rid of all the previous fluid, who knows what damage if any has the Jiffy ATF caused? It looks like to me that you are trying t save pennies and will end up spending $. ATF is not a place to skimp especially the new ones. The dealership probably doesn't want to get involved with warranty work as it doesn't pay well, now you're going to have an up-hill battle trying to prove that it wasn't Jiffy's fluid that caused the problem, what do you think your chances are that Jiffy will admit fault if indeed it has any or that Lexus will admit liability in a case like this?. Stick with the dealership or a trusty knowledgeable mechanic at least till your warranty is over.
Old 11-02-17, 02:21 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 204 Posts

OK, it really needs to be clarified what exactly transmission does that is described as jerking.
1. Normally, it is felt as vehicle with bad clutch. Accelerates/slows/accelerates/slows, very fast. What is felt as back/fore jerk. That is normally slipping clutches in transmission. That is sign of transmission getting close to rebuild or replacement.
2. Another is entire vehicle shudder that goes away, as speed picks up. So you either have bad traction and tires skip or, you have bad engine mounts and engine vibration is not dampened enough. Easy check is to open hood, stand there watch the engine and then ask helper to rev engine. If entire engine shifts violently back/fore - mounts it is.
3. Another type is vibration coming from the floor, either side, usually felt by the foot, lower leg. It is rather pointing towards bad half shaft. That needs to be checked, any play anywhere in the shaft or U-joints is counter-indicated.
Either way, ATF change should be done according to Lexus specified procedure, with Techstream scanner, to determine final ATF volume. Taking that car to Jiffy whatever is what you have as the result.
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (11-03-17)
Old 11-02-17, 02:48 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

It begs the question “How did the Water get into the transmission oil?!?

Noting that you’re in Texas; and assuming that your car wasn’t submerged during the recent hurricane/flooding, diagnostic steps would include the possibility that there’s a leak between your radiator’s coolant and the transmission fluid.

But, I’m not sure how the transmission’s oil gets cooled nowadays in these cars - so this step might be as archaic as is the writer.
Old 11-02-17, 11:26 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

I am more confused now. How can the dealership come to the conclusion that there is water in the transmission without draining it the 3rd time? There is no dipstick to examine? Nothing should flow out of the fill plug. Is there other evidence like high water mark.

There is got to be a breather hole [transmission fluid changes volume with temp and seals would blow out if breather hole is not provided]. So was the transmission submerged [echoing Nate's thoughts]

Why would any one miss
1. Not looking for it
2. Water with higher specific gravity would be submerged in fluid. [almost like lava lamp] and may not be obvious.
3. Drain does not get most of the fluid out and the water may be in another area.
4. Going on the limb here .... Maybe this time they did a drain with the fluid hot. Chemistry major can weigh in on this ... does the water in oil froth when heated up and churned. Maybe this why it was not obvious in the first two attempts.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (11-03-17)
Old 11-03-17, 06:37 AM
takeshi74
Advanced

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

who can I trust if i can't trust the dealership?
A good independent shop (definitely not Jiffy Lube). Ask others in your area for recommendations. What part of Texas are you in?
Old 11-03-17, 04:50 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Assuming a few things: #1: all drains were put back securely including the O-rings. #2: no existing leaks or cooling line damage.

I'm thinking about the compressor used to pump the tranny fluid at Jiffy. High volume location I'd bet they don't drain the compressor tank at xx intervals based on use or manufacturer's recommendations. I've seen many a paint job ruined by water bubbles in the finish once the paint starts to cure.Low cost quick turn around shops are well known for cutting costs leading to quality issues.You's be surprised how much water can be in a small paint blister. Betting the same for the fluid pump.
Old 11-04-17, 01:01 PM
JPL20
Driver School Candidate

Google "Toyota Rumble Strip"
Is it like that?

Quick Reply: Please Help (shutter during acceleration)