RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bizarre Coil/Harness Failure!!! Any Ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 12:42 PM
Conker64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizarre Coil/Harness Failure!!! Any Ideas???

Hello All

Hoping someone can provide some ideas on an absolutely astonishing failure I just experienced with the Coil #6 harness of my 2010 RX350 (Pictures attached!)

Two days ago the car suddenly started running very rough with low power. ODB2 codes narrowed problem to a Coil #6 failure (P0356 $07E8).
So, I took a butcher's under the cover to see what was amiss only to find the #6 wires+connector broken and physically chewed up.
Also, there was a whole mess of strips of the foam from the cover above the coil littered all around it.

Has anyone EVER seem anything like this in the two attached pictures?
It's almost as if some rodent got in there and went berszerk but I can see no other signs of such (poop/scratches).
It's hard to imagine how/why any rodent would even get under the cover there!
I doubt if electrical arcing could cause such damage without showing other signs like burning/charring.
Also, I can't imagine aging would be so localized, or cut those wires without stress/flex.

Any ideas anyone coz I'm stumped.

Also, clearly that connector is toast now so does anyone know if the connector can be fixed (e.g. replacement pins) or am I looking at a complete harness replacement!
(FYI" I'm and Electronics Engineer so I have the tools./experience to at least try,... if the pins can be removed and re-wired)

Many Thanks for any Ideas!!!
Attached Thumbnails Bizarre Coil/Harness Failure!!! Any Ideas???-harness1.jpg   Bizarre Coil/Harness Failure!!! Any Ideas???-cover1.jpg  

Last edited by Conker64; 10-20-17 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-20-17, 04:21 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Two things look odd:

1 Strain relief I dont see it? Check the good connector and see if it has strain relief on the wire harness.

2. Cut. It seems like a critter chewed it up. And what are those pallets? Droppings?

Repair:
I would buy the plug with 6" of wire from a junk yard. Cut the existing plug off and do a staggered lap joint with thin wire wrap (many turns over the lap) solder and slip the shrink wrap [technically slip the shrink tubing before soldering] over the solder. By stagger joints they dont bulk up at one spot.
The important part is to have slack in the wire after repair is done. If you repair the one you have, the wire length will be shortened and the connector will be in tension. Have the slack then a strain relief to prevent problems due to vibrations.

Check with Lexus part store they have a wire repair kit and tools to open up the connector [releases the pins].

New harness will be great but may be an overkill.

Note: I think the connector is the same for first gen RX.

Salim

ps: If is critter then be careful where you park. They love copper and enjoy the warmth of the engine.
Old 10-20-17, 04:39 PM
Conker64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by salimshah
Two things look odd:

1 Strain relief I dont see it? Check the good connector and see if it has strain relief on the wire harness.
2. Cut. It seems like a critter chewed it up. And what are those pallets? Droppings?
Repair:
I would buy the plug with 6" of wire from a junk yard. Cut the existing plug off and do a staggered lap joint with thin wire wrap (many turns over the lap) solder and slip the shrink wrap [technically slip the shrink tubing before soldering] over the solder. By stagger joints they dont bulk up at one spot.
The important part is to have slack in the wire after repair is done. If you repair the one you have, the wire length will be shortened and the connector will be in tension. Have the slack then a strain relief to prevent problems due to vibrations.

Check with Lexus part store they have a wire repair kit and tools to open up the connector [releases the pins].
New harness will be great but may be an overkill.
Note: I think the connector is the same for first gen RX.

Salim
ps: If is critter then be careful where you park. They love copper and enjoy the warmth of the engine.
Thanks Salim

The only strain relief is on the main harness, the connectors just clip onto the sockets.

The "pellets" are actually the remains of the foam backing nibbled from the plastic cover above the engine (other picture)
I think it HAS to be a rodent!
Plastic+rubber+Foam+wires ALL "chewed" up. No melting/burning anywhere.
The mind boggles why a critter would get in there, and how!

I actually managed to pop the pins out of the socket and rewire them thanks to this guy's post.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ir-how-to.html

If that fix doesn't hold, I did find that the connector can be purchased separately and spliced on as you suggest.
Seems to be only $40ish online,.. I even found the following for $9.
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...d=218799418980

So, all seems well with my fix for now but I guess I have to put a mouse trap in there,... or look around for fried mouse!

Thanks for your input!
Old 10-20-17, 08:43 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Glad the problem is solved, but regrettably the cure would only come by making the RX rodent proof.

Do you park the RX in the open at nights?
Are there gaping holes in the corner of the garage door and door jamb?

They will keep coming back and burrow where you least expect them and those half nibbled wires end up causing intermittent problems. One member reported nest in the cowl [area where the wiper motor is]

Incidentally the wildest thing I came across was a python in the engine bay in a vehicle in Florida. 'serpentine belt'!

Salim
Old 10-21-17, 07:25 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

Unrelated except it is a rodent story. 2 weeks ago we returned from work to find a squashed squirrel in our garage right behind where the right front tire was stopped. We think a squirrel got into the garage and slept on or next to the tire and we ran over it leaving for work the next morning. It had our Goodyear tire treads on its body....
Old 10-21-17, 02:48 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Honda sells tape to wrap around the wires to discourage animal feasting.
Apparently the environmentally correct thing is to have soy based insulation
that will recycle/degrade better. Unfortunately it must taste better also.
Old 10-21-17, 05:23 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

It's rodent. I had this happen to my Ridgeline parked outside. It's butane rubber in harness insulation. For some reason they think it's peanuts and chew on it. That's why they also eat tires.