RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Any DIY for bleeding brakes available?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 06:36 AM
Skier76
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 for the Mity-Vac. It's a bit more difficult to introduce air into the system with the Mity Vac. Just pump and keep an eye on the reservoir.
Old 10-17-17, 09:29 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
I would suggest that you and your wife make a dry run through the process before you crack open the bleeder screws. Otherwise, it's just so easy for her to release the brake pedal out of sync with your tightening the bleeder, and then you're starting over again to get the air back out.

What I do with either my wife or kids' help is direct their foot action based on my wrench position....
- I call out "Down and HOLD"...
- I open bleeder and watch fluid flow....
- I close bleeder when fluid stops flowing...
- I call out "UP"...
- they confirm "OK" once the pedal gets to the top position again....
- repeat as often as required to complete the fluid purge -- generally when the fluid changes color.
Good point. I gotta make sure were in sync to keep the air from entering. Thx for that advice.
Old 10-17-17, 02:05 PM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

I would put a solid block. Easier to instruct to hold. If some one has to hold halfway, the will most likely let up.

I made my kit with an empty bottle [from bottled water] a hose and a drill ... just drill a hole in the cap and run the tube through it.

Salim
Old 10-17-17, 03:27 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I use clear vinyl tubing and a quart mason jar. When finished, I dump the little bit of purged brake fluid into the 5-gal "catch-all" bucket where I collected used oils for recycling at the nearest Auto Zoo.
Old 10-18-17, 03:50 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

It is much safer and easier to use the Mity Vac method than to rely on inexperienced help to push the brake pedal down in sync with your instructions and not get air in the system. It was problems with wife and friend help that lead me to rely first on the Motive power bleeder which leaked all over the master cylinder and engine and finally to the reliable Mity Vac method. If you do work with your helper, get a hose with a one way valve at the end so it cannot suck air back up when the brake pedal is released too early.
Old 10-18-17, 09:29 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

For me, once I explain the routine to my "helper", I've never had a problem, and my "helpers have been my fours sons when they were at ages 14-23 and then my wife most recently. It's a simple procedure, and I actually like having those the teaching moments with folks, especially my kids. In all honesty, even if they do release the pedal before you get the bleeder nipple tight, it only take another couple of full stroke pump cycles to get that little bit of air back out. The one time I tried those Speed Bleeders (the ones with the built-in check valve), I could not get them to work for me and just retreated to the old-school method.

I do want to get one of those power bleeders, though, because it is sometimes necessary on Toyota systems to purge through the ABS module. The trick is to have the right adapters and clamps to ensure a secure and tight fit so that the adapter does not pop off the reservoir while under pressure (requires either a screw on adapter or a snap on rubber adapter with a hose clamp to keep it from popping off). There are lots of places where you can get adapter kits for the Motive lineup.
Old 10-19-17, 06:27 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

The Mighty vac has an optional extra large reservoir that fits on top of the master cylinder. The design is such that it will not overflow from the master cylinder. I too tried a set of those speed bleeders and could not get them to work such that I replaced them with the old ones...