RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Few Thoughts After Owning for 4 years...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-17, 10:29 AM
lawjaii
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

tried to request a new gen rx as loaner when i was in service.. they didnt have one.. the newer ones is definitely more attractive inside and out.

just tried the new XC90 T6 last night.... i have to say it does get up really fast.. very similar to my 535i standard. But the engine noise out of that 2.0 turbo and supercharged is extremely loud, and the interior quality seems cheap despite looking real sharp on picture.

I think i kind of want to wait for a new generation of GX.
Old 09-12-17, 10:32 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Ditto on the 450h. Give it a try! There's a reason why it's called a 450.
Regular RX under powered? OP, are you really stomping on the pedal? Hybrid one will have more Oomph for sure
due to electric motor's instant torque, Hybrid will beat regular RX if they race because of this.
Old 09-12-17, 02:15 PM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by lawjaii
tried to request a new gen rx as loaner when i was in service.. they didnt have one.. the newer ones is definitely more attractive inside and out.
just tried the new XC90 T6 last night.... i have to say it does get up really fast.. very similar to my 535i standard. But the engine noise out of that 2.0 turbo and supercharged is extremely loud, and the interior quality seems cheap despite looking real sharp on picture.
I think i kind of want to wait for a new generation of GX.
Re Volvo XC90 a 4 banger 2 litre under all that pressure from a supercharger & Turbocharger would have me worried about the longevity of that engine.
Old 09-12-17, 02:16 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

There's a $4,500 rebate on '17 GX leftovers. Maybe you shouldn't wait:
https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gx-460/2017/deals/
Old 09-12-17, 07:11 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, RX450h will do sprints!!!

Ditto on the 450h. Give it a try! There's a reason why it's called a 450.
Old 09-12-17, 07:21 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Try it on the CT200h. 0 to 60 mph is just under 10 seconds. Even with CT200h I can keep up with traffic......just need to mash the pedal to the metal!!! Yes, the engine make a lot of noise, especially on these hybrids CVT transmission. Then again, these are not an ES or LS. Totally different cars. In fact, one should try the RCF which in Sports + manual shift is MUCH LOUDER.

Even with the noise and the perceived "slowness", I find both RX450h and CT200h excellent at what they ate designed for. Several months ago we were at Seattle WA and we rented a Hyundai Santa Fe Sport SUV.......talk about noise!!! My kids had to yell from the back to be heard!!! And they all made the comment that "THIS CAR IS LOUDER THAN THE AIRPLANE WE JUST GOT OFF!!!". LOL. AS we usually cruise in the LX570 for medium long distance driving. But we all flew in, so we had to get a rental car. I know, these are FIRST WORLD problems.

Originally Posted by JDR76
We no longer have our 2013 RX350, but we did really enjoy it.

I didn't find it overpowered for sure, but definitely not underpowered.

Most test results I have found tested it to 60mph in 6.7 to 7.0 seconds. That doesn't seem dangerously slow to me...
Old 09-13-17, 06:27 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Great write up, I had a 2015 RX F Sport for almost three years and our thoughts are very similar. See my comments below in red type under each topic.

Originally Posted by lawjaii
Hi all, we bought a 2014 rx350 in dec 2013.. so the 4th year mark is coming up in a few months..so is the 4 yr warranty. Just want to express a few thoughts i had on this car after owning for almost 4 years.. I want to give some insights and experience to people potentially looking for the preowned market, as well as to see if any of my experience differs from other members.

Car is underpowered. This is how i feel personally..despite having 270 HP on paper, it feels like car accelerate pretty slow. Maybe its the 6 AT transmission. Especially when i try to merge into another lane and there is an upcoming car from the other lane..I dont have any confidence merging..its just dangerous as the RX does not get up to speed quick enough, often leading to the other car horning at me.. car does feel pretty heavy to drive..

I also felt the RX lacked power, believe me I wasn't racing anyone at stoplights LOL, but there were plenty of times that I wished it had more power when merging into or around traffic. IMO at times it felt sluggish, and I feel that the transmission gearing had more to due with it than the "only" 270HP. I had the 8 speed trans.

Car is reliable.The rx350 is definitely a reliable car.. aside from regular service interval, only had a rear brake clicking sound when reversing 2 yrs ago and they replaced the rear rotors which solved the problem. I have a 2011 bmw 535i, its night and day difference with the lexus.. always having problems.

No doubt it was reliable, although I did find it to have more creaks and interior noises compared to previous Lexus vehicles I've owned. Then again maybe that was due in part to the firmer F Sport suspension.

Gas mileage.. i do about mostly city driving.. in the city driving, i get no where lexus advertised of 18mpg city. I personally get about 15 Mpg in the city. Highway its alot better, i get 26-28 mpg as advertised. This on regular gas and i dont drive agresive at all.

Same here, most of our driving was in the city and that was with my wife driving and our mpg would be 13 to 14.. On the highway we averaged 26 -27 and on several occasions we got over 30 mpg during a few road trips

Comfortable. The rx is definitely one of the most comfortable SUVs. I have a pretty bad back. I had a 09 caddy cts and a 2011 bmw 5 series, both cars would cause back pain for me after maybe an hour of driving.. the Lexus is way better, i can easily last 2-3 hours without back pain.. The rear seats are nice too, very comfortable.

On the highway / open road it was very comfortable, but in the city over bump roads it was very firm sometimes harsh. But again, that was probably due to the firmer F Sport suspension that made it handle well, but the tradeoff was a very firm ride over anything but a smooth surface.

Engine noise. I think the rx350 or these lexus engine have louder engine noise when you press the pedal to accelerate.

Funny this never really bothered me, but I agree that it was noisy..

Sports mode. i have tried sports mode a few times, but honesty it doesnt seem to do much. Its kinda strange as whenever i switch it to sport, it would be engaged to the 4th gear by default. it says 4 on the info display. Any idea why this?

I barely, if ever used sport mode due to it limitations so can't really comment on this.

Overall, i just think this generation of rx lacked in power and driving dynamics..but luxury and comfort wise, its great. I am currently debating to whether trading the rx350 along with my bmw 5 series together for a 7 seaters, or just keep both for now.. the new xc90 does look amazing..
The following users liked this post:
vlad_a (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 06:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocal
Re Volvo XC90 a 4 banger 2 litre under all that pressure from a supercharger & Turbocharger would have me worried about the longevity of that engine.

my exact thoughts on that engine as well. i think i would just go with the turbo model. and just the turbo version gets better gas millage too.
Old 09-13-17, 08:22 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
The manual "S" shifting mode is simply a shift limiter. When you put it into Shift mode, it limits the transmission to gears 1-4. From there you can "shift" up or down. If you go up to 5 or 6, it will allow the transmission to go up to that gear. If you go down to 3rd, it will limit it to 1-3 gears. It's not a true manual shift mode like you'll find in the IS or GS.
I find this useful mainly when I'm driving through an area with a lot of hills.
Old 09-13-17, 08:26 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
my exact thoughts on that engine as well. i think i would just go with the turbo model. and just the turbo version gets better gas millage too.
Lexus really needs to develop a turbo that does not require premium fuel. Currently there is no fuel savings in buying an NX in the Chicago area due to the $1.00 per gallon over charge for premium.
lexus114 (09-14-17)
Old 09-13-17, 09:29 AM
Cocal
Racer

Originally Posted by Marqevans
Lexus really needs to develop a turbo that does not require premium fuel. Currently there is no fuel savings in buying an NX in the Chicago area due to the $1.00 per gallon over charge for premium.
Better yet is to develop a supercharger so that the hp are available at low rpm.

You'll NEVER get good mileage on a turbo as long as you use it! A 2L turbo sucks more fuel than a normal 3L under the same circumstances..
The ONLY reason why we have 2L Turbos is because they make all the tests on the 4cyl 2L with the turbo never coming into play. That's how they get the economy, but no one drives that way, so in everyday driving one never sees the mpg claimed. Turbos have their reasons for being, but economy was never one of them.
vlad_a (09-13-17)
Old 09-13-17, 12:39 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Ditto on the turbo. They are prevailing and superchargers are out because they are better at cheating at the emission tests. Same applies to start-top technology - absolutely useless, but saves hundreds of Euros in taxes in some countries. And that also happens to be the last nail in the coffin for the manual transmissions.
Old 09-13-17, 01:06 PM
Cocal
Racer

Ditto on the turbo. They are prevailing and superchargers are out because they are better at cheating at the emission tests. Same applies to start-top technology - absolutely useless, but saves hundreds of Euros in taxes in some countries. And that also happens to be the last nail in the coffin for the manual transmissions.
Agreed 100%
Old 09-13-17, 01:07 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
Whatever engine you have, first thing to know is about power band. At what rpm peak torque, hp occurs? If one wants to merge quick, stomp on the pedal watching
tachometer, make sure gear is down shifted. Turbo engine's advantage is torque is pretty constant after reaching at certain rpm and peak hp still will come at higher rpm. Afraid of punching the pedal to the floor? There is also paddle shifter to be used in sports mode. If car is so quiet when accelerating quickly, I would't like it.
I have to hear and feel what my car is doing. If it is quiet when cruising with cruise control set, that is OK with me. I have to feel the road, I have to hear what my engine is doing at all time while driving.

Last edited by Htony; 09-13-17 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-14-17, 05:57 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Lack of power 🤔
After driving a Prius and BMW 323cic , the RX has plenty of get up and go
lexus114 (09-14-17)

Quick Reply: Few Thoughts After Owning for 4 years...