RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How do i change maps from Japan to Pakistan?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-17, 04:31 AM
Muzamil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can i change the region map of my lexus rx450h?

Hello everyone.
I recently bought a 2013 lexus rx450h in pakistan. The navigation shows all the places in Japan as it is a japanese import. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to change maps from Japan to Pakistan?
Old 08-30-17, 04:40 AM
Muzamil
Driver School Candidate

Default How do i change maps from Japan to Pakistan?

Hello Everyone
I recently bought a 2013 lexus rx450h from a used car showroom in pakistan (not a lexus dealer) and the navigation shows only map of Japan (japanese import). How can i change the map from Japan to Pakistan?
Old 08-30-17, 04:46 AM
Muzamil
Driver School Candidate

Default How do i change maps from Japan to Pakistan?

Hello Everyone.
I recently bought a 2013 lexus rx450h in Pakistan. It has the map of Japan installed. Can anyone tell me if i can change its map from Japan to Pakistan?
Old 08-30-17, 05:37 AM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet would be to contact Navteq directly, the OEM provider of the maps. I doubt if they have maps of streets in Pakistan.
Old 08-30-17, 05:38 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 582 Likes on 401 Posts

You'll have to buy the maps for your region and have them installed.
Old 08-30-17, 06:22 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

GPS map updates must be installed by a Lexus service center because the map download requires an authentication process with the vehicle linked to their system. A similar process to software activation on computer software to provide copy protection. Whether a map is available or not for your country, you would have to inquire with the service center.
Old 08-30-17, 06:51 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Do any Lexus/Toyota in Pakistan have a map of Pakistan roads in them? If yes then it will be a matter of finding out which dealer to contact.

Salim
Old 08-30-17, 06:52 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Is your RX RHD (Right Hand Drive) or LHD (Left Hand Drive)?
Sounds like it's the former and it may be a grey market import.
You'll need to find people/forum in your country specializing in hacking Lexus Navigation systems.
This forum will be of little to no use.
Old 08-30-17, 08:42 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Is your RX RHD (Right Hand Drive) or LHD (Left Hand Drive)?
Sounds like it's the former and it may be a grey market import.
You'll need to find people/forum in your country specializing in hacking Lexus Navigation systems.
This forum will be of little to no use.
I know what you mean, but the term 'grey market' may not apply here. Grey market is when a vehicle bypasses the regulated import process. Such as a vehicle for European market is brought to the USA or the reverse. Asian/African countries have regular-import process under which say Toyota brings in vehicle and are sold at Toyota dealerships. [There the 'grey market' is for vehicles which are traded, but bypass the hefty import tax and are shadily registered].
OP may have a totally legit RHD and should be able to get support from dealership. The support may be limited as the map data may not be available.

Also you are very right that folks may have a way to feed the local map data into the nav system.

Hence my suggestion to explore if some one has this working.

Salim
Old 08-30-17, 09:57 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

FYI, you're in the IS forums. Why not move this to the RX forums, or since it's about nav, a more general location?

I think that you might need to replace the whole nav system based a quick Google search. Sometimes people have luck updating the region, but other times it bricks your navigation system.
Old 08-30-17, 10:33 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I own a '13 RX 450h, and researching how to get the maps updated, the only solution I've found is to take it in to the dealer.

There's no DVD to swap or USB drive.

Not knowing any of the laws in Pakistan, I have no idea about the legality of the car, but if the OP managed to get it registered and licensed I would guess it's okay.
Old 08-30-17, 11:26 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
I know what you mean, but the term 'grey market' may not apply here. Grey market is when a vehicle bypasses the regulated import process. Such as a vehicle for European market is brought to the USA or the reverse. Asian/African countries have regular-import process under which say Toyota brings in vehicle and are sold at Toyota dealerships. [There the 'grey market' is for vehicles which are traded, but bypass the hefty import tax and are shadily registered].
OP may have a totally legit RHD and should be able to get support from dealership. The support may be limited as the map data may not be available.

Also you are very right that folks may have a way to feed the local map data into the nav system.

Hence my suggestion to explore if some one has this working.

Salim
Salim,

I'm referring to grey market in terms of the vehicle not being intended to be sold in that country by the manufacturer.
It is still legal to import and export, but will get limited support. Warranty work may be questionable, though.

For example, it may be cheaper to buy a European vehicle over here in US and then re-export it back to Europe.
Depending on local laws, it has been a profitable business for some individuals.

Of course, manufacturers frown upon such practices and some make it impossible to completely convert the vehicle to the locale.
Tesla does the same thing with Google maps. American Teslas will not calculate routes over in Europe even though the maps are completely visible over the on-board internet connection.
Old 08-30-17, 11:29 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

And never mind my RHD/LHD question. Pakistan is RHD, so Japanese imports would have the steering wheel on the right side, no pun intended.
http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/li...ing-countries/
Old 08-30-17, 11:37 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Changing the region can be found in the Navigation owners manual.
If you did not get the manual, or it's in Japanese, refer to the owners manual found on the Lexus.com or Lexus.ca websites for your vehicle.

It's possible that the map data loaded into the RX, which I'm not sure of the method (micro SD, USB, CD), does not have Pakistan contained in it.
If that is the case, a local dealer should be able to update the map data for your applicable region.