RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Using preset seat position buttons while in drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-17, 07:12 PM
djevans99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Using preset seat position buttons while in drive

i want to be able to open my rear hatch and use the preset seat position buttons when the car is not in park. Does anyone know how to do it. Can Techstream software change the settings to allow my to do this.
Old 08-18-17, 06:30 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Why would you want open up the rear hatch when the car is in gear ?
Old 08-18-17, 07:12 AM
djevans99
Driver School Candidate

When I drop off the kids at school or practice they frequently have to get stuff out of the trunk and I am in a line of parents dropping off. It seems like a lot of processes to follow when you have to hit the door unlock button, put the car in park and then hit the open button then close the hatch and put the car back in drive to pull away.
Old 08-18-17, 07:43 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

My doors open automatically when put in P. It's set in the setup menu.
I'd say it's a good idea to have the gear lever in Park when the kids are running around it and door and hatch are being opened/closed.
Old 08-18-17, 08:08 AM
djevans99
Driver School Candidate

I am sure you are correct that the car should be in park.

The feature I most want to change is having the ability activate the seat/mirror preset position while the car is in drive. You can adjust the mirrors and seats when in drive but you can't use the presets while in drive. Sometimes I find the mirrors are out of position while I am driving and it is much easier and safer to hit the preset to adjust the mirrors to the best position than it is to play around with manually setting each mirror.
Old 08-18-17, 08:13 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by djevans99
I am sure you are correct that the car should be in park.

The feature I most want to change is having the ability activate the seat/mirror preset position while the car is in drive. You can adjust the mirrors and seats when in drive but you can't use the presets while in drive. Sometimes I find the mirrors are out of position while I am driving and it is much easier and safer to hit the preset to adjust the mirrors to the best position than it is to play around with manually setting each mirror.
Can't really help you there. I do this in my Audi, no problems while driving. I have to hold the preset button, though.
There's a ton of dumb things Lexus blocks while driving.
Old 08-18-17, 08:49 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

If you have to make an adjustment, make the adjustment and then set it into your current preset setting by simply pressing and holding down the correct preset button (1, 2, or 3) for a couple of seconds until you hear the beep. You can do this reset for any of the three preset positions while you're in D and going down the road. I went through this routine off and on for several weeks until I finally got my seat Position 2 refined just for me exactly the way I want it. (Wife is No.1 because, well, she just is.)
Old 08-18-17, 08:56 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Can't really help you there. I do this in my Audi, no problems while driving. I have to hold the preset button, though.
There's a ton of dumb things Lexus blocks while driving.
That is indeed neat in Audi. The background is that the preset positioning is one touch in Lexus and if accidentally hit, the seats keeps on moving, which may lead to panic. When the seat moves forward the gas pedal may be depressed more.

I always say, the more protected your home is, you are in a better jail.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
Cocal (08-18-17)
Old 08-18-17, 09:06 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
That is indeed neat in Audi. The background is that the preset positioning is one touch in Lexus and if accidentally hit, the seats keeps on moving, which may lead to panic. When the seat moves forward the gas pedal may be depressed more.

I always say, the more protected your home is, you are in a better jail.

Salim
I can also close the windows and moonroof from the remote (after enabling secret menu through Carista).
And do whatever the hell I (or passenger!) want in Navigation while moving.
Germans are not used as much to frivolous lawsuits and mindless drivers.
They don't just give out driver licenses to anyone on the street.
Old 08-18-17, 11:17 AM
salimshah

snip edit
They don't just give out driver licenses to anyone on the street.
Its our right here.

I would not touch the right to sue part and going after the deepest pocket other than saying that it is one of the things that is misused.

Salim
Old 08-20-17, 08:01 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I would caution about having the car unlock ALL doors and the hatch AUTOMATICALLY whenever you out the car into Park. This is a BAD idea especially if you are stopped at a place with a lot of people you don't know because ANYONE from outside of the car can pull on your door handle and hijack you/your purse/your car/anything of value!!!!

My doors open automatically when put in P. It's set in the setup menu.
I'd say it's a good idea to have the gear lever in Park when the kids are running around it and door and hatch are being opened/closed.
Old 08-21-17, 04:22 AM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I would caution about having the car unlock ALL doors and the hatch AUTOMATICALLY whenever you out the car into Park. This is a BAD idea especially if you are stopped at a place with a lot of people you don't know because ANYONE from outside of the car can pull on your door handle and hijack you/your purse/your car/anything of value!!!!
wow, that is pretty sad , that you live in area that you even think about getting attack
Old 08-21-17, 06:31 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Putting the car in park means the end of the journey. Going to the areas in question is generally not a good idea in the first place and door locks would be of last concern.
Where the hell do you live for this to be an issue? My personal vehicle is never locked when I'm driving, unless there are kids inside.
And there's no concern if we forget to lock our car - nobody would take anything, even if it is out in the open.
Old 08-21-17, 09:40 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Airbalance
wow, that is pretty sad , that you live in area that you even think about getting attack
If you think you have to live in a bad area for this to be an issue of concern, you have your head buried in the sand, my friend. Wake up and smell the gun smoke! These kinds of things are happening in even the nicest of areas and neighborhoods these days, and everyone should always be on top of situational awareness regardless of where you are.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not some extremist who is interested in the stupid fear-mongering which goes on among conspiracy-minded apocalyptic preppers... I'm just saying "it" can happen anywhere, and we all need to be shrewd and mindful and wise to prevent ourselves from letting "easy conveniences" rule and drive us into sometimes stupid choices.
Old 08-21-17, 09:50 AM
salimshah

As a consumer, all we need is option to program stuff to our liking. Going back to the thread, it seems a feature that Lexus chose safety over convenience and could have made it smarter.

Lets wish we all stay safe.

Salim

Quick Reply: Using preset seat position buttons while in drive