RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Recently bought and repaired 2010 RX350 and have some issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-17, 06:49 AM
harut2k
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recently bought and repaired 2010 RX350 and have some issues

Hi, hope you're having a nice day. I have a few problems with my RX350, so if you know the solution to any of them, help would be greatly appreciated.

1) I have a "AFS Error", I think it can be because I haven't installed one of the headlight's bulbs (the big xenon ones). I'll have it placed in about a week. Or could there be another problem?

2) How can I reset the entire car? There are personal things the previous owner didn't delete.

3) The previous owner had her phone connected to the BT Audio and I can't connect mine for some reason. How can I delete hers and connect mine? (The phone call thing works fine, but the music doesn't.)

4) How to change from Fahrenheit to Celsius?

5) I've seen other RX350's from 2010 that have these guiding lines when going in reverse, but mine doesn't. Is that something that I can activate?

6) There was a problem with the fuse for the fans/radiator. It stopped working and boiled the antifreeze (luckily I noticed and stopped the engine before it spilled). My friend mechanic took the broken fuse and just soldered the thing, claiming the fuses are in bulk and it's extremely time consuming to replace them (I was in a rush, so I just let him do it) so, besides the obvious fact that it was a bad idea, could that do some serious damage? How can I go about fixing it? (like ordering the fuse and replacing it or something, I'm completely blind on the topic)

7) After soldering, a "check engine" came up. Then, after taking out the battery and putting it back in, it went away and came back after like, 30 minutes of driving.
Old 07-28-17, 07:18 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

3) BT calls and BT audio are 2 different connections. There's a CONNECT PHONE button in the Media menu. You can delete phones from the memory in one of menus. Either Phone or Bluetooth.
4) Can't be easily done without hacking.
5) US market RX vehicles did not feature parking guide lines.
6) Fuses are there for a reason. They cost a few cents. You're asking for trouble by shoring one out. Yes, you could have caused some serious damage. Any garage or petrol station will carry replacement fuses.
7) You need to read the error code for the check engine light. Some readers will only pick up generic codes, while others (e.g. Carista), will pick up manufacturer specific ones.
The following users liked this post:
harut2k (07-28-17)
Old 07-28-17, 07:27 AM
harut2k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vlad_a
3) BT calls and BT audio are 2 different connections. There's a CONNECT PHONE button in the Media menu. You can delete phones from the memory in one of menus. Either Phone or Bluetooth.
4) Can't be easily done without hacking.
5) US market RX vehicles did not feature parking guide lines.
6) Fuses are there for a reason. They cost a few cents. You're asking for trouble by shoring one out. Yes, you could have caused some serious damage. Any garage or petrol station will carry replacement fuses.
7) You need to read the error code for the check engine light. Some readers will only pick up generic codes, while others (e.g. Carista), will pick up manufacturer specific ones.
Thanks! But are you sure about the one with the fuses? I personally haven't seen them (It's my dads car, I'm just writing for him) but I'm sure it isn't as simple as that. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...s-dsc00848.jpg <- thats a picture of the fuses, but what my friend removed was under the colored things, it was way down. Not really someplace you're supposed to have access to,
Old 07-28-17, 08:06 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

Maybe you also need a new cooling fan or fan relay. More likely the relay, I have seen them fail many times on Japanese cars. There has to be a reason the fuse blew.
Also if you have Navigation, you can go through the settings and maybe change the temperature to Celsius. Otherwise I think there is a way to toggle through to it through the steering wheel controls. Check the owners manual or youtube.
Old 07-28-17, 08:08 AM
harut2k
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Maybe you also need a new cooling fan or fan relay. More likely the relay, I have seen them fail many times on Japanese cars. There has to be a reason the fuse blew.
Also if you have Navigation, you can go through the settings and maybe change the temperature to Celsius. Otherwise I think there is a way to toggle through to it through the steering wheel controls. Check the owners manual or youtube.
Wait, whats the difference between the relay and fuse? (The fan is working fine, now that it's soldered. It's just a bit dangerous since it can damage it)
Old 07-28-17, 08:15 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by harut2k
Thanks! But are you sure about the one with the fuses? I personally haven't seen them (It's my dads car, I'm just writing for him) but I'm sure it isn't as simple as that. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...s-dsc00848.jpg <- thats a picture of the fuses, but what my friend removed was under the colored things, it was way down. Not really someplace you're supposed to have access to,
If it's one of those huge pink fuses, then those are not so easily attainable. Never the less, should be replaced asap with a proper unit.
Relay simply connects and disconnects contacts when power is supplied to the coil.
Fuse is made of conductive material with slight resistance, which will make it heat up under high current consumption, and therefore blow and prevent further damage, in case there is a short down the line.
Old 07-28-17, 08:38 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

When the temperature sensor decides it is time for the fan to turn on, it sends voltage to the relay, which then trips and relays the power to turn on the fan. Sometimes the relays fail. Sometimes the temperature sensors fail. If your fan now works with the soldered fuse, I would still have a proper shop check all components for proper function to prevent another overheat incident.
Old 07-28-17, 08:47 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

It seems the vehicle you are discussing was for US market and thus missing guidelines and info is not in metric system.

Please remove the jump and replace it with the right fuse. The fuse prevents wiring meltdown which may end up in a fire. Disabling it puts the occupants at risk.

Relays are widgets that take little current on the primary side and can support larger current on the secondary side. You can use thin wire and small switch on the primary side while the secondary side can support large current. Biggest really is on the starter where small wire goes to energize the solenoid and that connected the thick wire from the battery to the starter 200 amps or so.

Salim