RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX350/Home Link/Chambberlain garage door opener incident

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 10:51 AM
ericlee1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX350/Home Link/Chambberlain garage door opener incident

I would like to share a personal experience with RX350 and to see if this ever happened to any other users. In the last 12 years, we have been loyal Lexus fans and we like the quality and value the Lexus provides. But an incident on 02/11/2017 changed our affection for Lexus brand. Around 10:30pm 02/11/2017 that evening, we came back from a dinner engagement, my wife pressed the Homelink button and the garage door(A chamberlain ½ hp opener system) opened as expected and she drove the car into the garage, unfortunately somehow the garage door came down while the car was on the way into the garage. This caused some damage at the top of RX350 and the door rose up due to its safety feature. Then I got out of the car and asked my wife to back out of the garage, surprisingly the door came down again while the car was more or less at the same position. Fortunately, I was standing right underneath the door and was able to stop the door before it hit the car again. We reported the problem and Lexus took more than three months to inspect, investigate, test. On May 31, 2017 Lexus’s Legal department sent us a letter indicating that the Lexus Homelink system worked properly after their technicaind tested it for about one hour. Therefore, Lexus could not provide any assistance to us in regard to our request. I called and indicaed to the representative that this type of intermitten problem typically will take much longer testing tiem to make it happen again. She indicated that they have done what they could and do not plan to invest more time in retesting it.
We have been driving Lexus vehicles for the last 12 years and have used the Homelink system to open/close the garage more than several thousand times and never experienced any problem but those two occurrences. Just wonder if any other users ever experienced a similar problem.
Old 07-14-17, 11:56 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Homelink is not manufactured by Lexus and is used by most, if not all, car companies in US.
Gentex is the OEM and you can buy it for any car:
Amazon Amazon

It is possible that the Homelink button on the Gentex mirror got stuck and therefor sent continuous signal to the door opener.
It is just as possible that the door opener is defective. Could have been a short in the remote panel that is wired into the garage motor.

Question you should ask yourself, why did the door close when the vehicle was in the way? Improper sensor installation / adjustment? Is Lexus really at fault?
Old 07-14-17, 12:44 PM
Airbalance
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Did anyone check out sensors or the unit, I would blame that more than the control in the RX
Old 07-14-17, 12:55 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Neighbor's opener has become enabled? Neighbor's child has become delinquent?
I have had leaves blow across the safety light beam and reverse the door.
Original door opener is in the console/glovebox and got pressed while reaching in?