RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The best LED fog bulb to match your HID

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 08:57 PM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The best LED fog bulb to match your HID

Hi everybody. I guess (IMHO) I found the best LED fog light match for my 2013 RX-350 factory HID. Got it couple days ago and installed myself. Love it.

https://www.pepboys.com/product/deta...03.5L%2520DOHC

Pros
1) Brand name. Philips (Trusted and reliable manufacturer)
2) Great quality (Made in Germany)
3) Very close match (color wise) to your standard HID (IMHO)
4) Easy to buy from well-known seller (walk in the store or on line)
5) Complete kit, direct replacement, no modifications
6) Perfect fit (H11 in my case)
7) Piece of mind (longevity wise)
8) Brighter than original halogens

Cons
Kind of pricey (but there is a promotion right now for $104.99 2-pack)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some pics.
Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails The best LED fog bulb to match your HID-rx350_led_hid1.jpg   The best LED fog bulb to match your HID-rx350-led_hid.jpg   The best LED fog bulb to match your HID-rx350_led_hid.jpg  

Last edited by Alfa777z; 10-01-17 at 11:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
hybrinit (07-22-17)
Old 07-03-17, 12:46 AM
domitel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi thanks, for the information. I am interested on it. Please can you send more details about how to do yourself and also datas for the kit.
Regards
Domingo
Old 07-03-17, 12:57 AM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by domitel
hi thanks, for the information. I am interested on it. Please can you send more details about how to do yourself and also datas for the kit.
Regards
Domingo
Hi Domingo. You have to open under the fender over wheel cover and squeeze one hand through the gap. It could be hard for a man with big hands. Wear long sleeve shirt an gloves. Remember! You may end up with some bruises. Data (specification) of the kit you can get from the link I provided.
Good luck!
Old 07-03-17, 01:30 AM
salimshah

Received 994 Likes on 898 Posts

Just something to consider ...
Better spectrum of light to penetrate fog is yellow. White gets reflected more.

Salim
Old 07-03-17, 08:14 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hard to tell with photos but my OEM hids are not that blue. Only the flicker is that blue and from afar my OEM fogs match up to the headlight flicker perfectly. Up close though the OEM 5000k bulb is def more whiter(which I prefer anyway as the output is greater)
Old 07-03-17, 10:46 AM
Alfa777z
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by greeknasty
Hard to tell with photos but my OEM hids are not that blue. Only the flicker is that blue and from afar my OEM fogs match up to the headlight flicker perfectly. Up close though the OEM 5000k bulb is def more whiter(which I prefer anyway as the output is greater)
Yes you are right. The pics came out kind of blueish and I'm surprised myself. Well my old iPhone-5 is not a great night pics taker. Here're the pics taken by the same phone at day time. Still perfect match.

For Salim. Thanks. I know that yellow spectrum has a better penetration. If I wanted a yellow I'd get the yellow. As a matter of fact scientifically the best wavelength for this purpose is not a yellow and red, but we don't drive with the red fog lights much, do we?
Attached Thumbnails The best LED fog bulb to match your HID-003.jpg   The best LED fog bulb to match your HID-004.jpg   The best LED fog bulb to match your HID-005.jpg  

Last edited by Alfa777z; 10-01-17 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-04-17, 07:42 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by Alfa777z
Yes you are right. The pics came out kind of blueish and I'm surprised myself. Well my old iPhone-5 is not a great night pics taker. Here's the pics taken by the same phone at day time. Still perfect match.

For Salim. Thanks. I know that yellow spectrum has a better penetration. If I wanted a yellow I'd get the yellow. As a matter of fact scientifically the best wavelength for this purpose is not a yellow and red, but we don't drive with the red fog lights much, do we?
I personally always think about form and function and the last thing for me is how it appears to others (i dont discount the looks, but it is at the bottom of consideration list).
If any one cares for more real use discussion
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/why....782776/page-2
There is also a good discussion on how the light color from LEDs is altered and loss of light happens.

You are very right that red would be the most penetrating light and that is the reason why red is used to indicate danger. Flashing red is at the top to grab attention. Tail lights are red and it is illegal to have red in the front (expected way of travel) [Emergency vehicles are an exception].

Finally, it is personal choice and dont let me discourage you from choosing what you prefer.

Salim
Old 07-04-17, 03:41 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I used the following (search for my previous posts) for the fogs on my RX450h and LX570 (These to have OEM HID, but halogen fogs) and BOTH low beams AND fogs on my CT200h. It's now like $59 for a pair. I had these for over 2.5 years now. Very happy and the vendor, CarRover.

CAR ROVER H11 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit with 80W 6000K 9600Lm Super Bright H8 H9 CREE Chips for HID Halogen Light Replacement Cool White
Amazon Amazon

Amazon Amazon
This is the one I have used.

Or try this other NEW product for $29 a pair (I have not used this Bi-Colored, white and yellow, unit.

CAR ROVER H11 H8 H9 LED Fog Lights Lamps Replacement - Dual Color In 1 (6000K/3000K) - Pack of 2
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon
Please note the SPECS says WAY LOWER lumens output versus the other unit which I have currently). I HAVE NOT USED THESE BI-COLORED UNITS.

Please note I have no relations to the vendor. I'm just a satisfied and happy customer.

Originally Posted by Alfa777z
Hi everybody. I guess (IMHO) I found the best LED fog light match for my 2013 RX-350 factory HID. Got it couple days ago and installed myself. Love it.

https://www.pepboys.com/search/?term=philips+led

Pros
1) Brand name. (Trusted and reliable manufacturer)
2) Great quality (Made in Germany)
3) Very close match (color wise) to your standard HID (IMHO)
4) Easy to buy from well-known seller (walk in the store or on line)
5) Complete kit, direct replacement, no modifications
6) Perfect fit (H11 in my case)
7) Piece of mind (longevity wise)
8) Brighter than original halogens

Cons
Kind of pricey (but there is a promotion right now for $104.99 2-pack)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some pics.
Good luck!

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-05-17 at 03:07 AM.
Old 07-05-17, 12:13 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I used the following (search for my previous posts) for the fogs on my RX450h (it has OEM HID, but halogen fogs) and BOTH low beams AND fogs on my CT200h. It's now like $59 for a pair. I had these for over 2.5 years now. Very happy and the vendor, CarRover.

CAR ROVER H11 LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit with 80W 6000K 9600Lm Super Bright H8 H9 CREE Chips for HID Halogen Light Replacement Cool White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3GKHQE..._hIbxzb8Y8J42Z

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3GKHQE..._hIbxzb8Y8J42Z
This is the one I have used.

Or try this other NEW product for $29 a pair (I have not used this Bi-Colored, white and yellow, unit.

CAR ROVER H11 H8 H9 LED Fog Lights Lamps Replacement - Dual Color In 1 (6000K/3000K) - Pack of 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAJFKNJ..._mPbxzbYWJ7R6S
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NAJFKNJ..._mPbxzbYWJ7R6S
Please note the SPECS says WAY LOWER lumens output versus the other unit which I have currently). I HAVE NOT USED THESE BI-COLORED UNITS.

Please note I have no relations to the vendor. I'm just a satisfied and happy customer.
@lexusrus
Will these work for the H9 high beams on non-LED CT's? I think I saw a post from you that you used these for high beams too. From what I can tell, these will work in H11 and H9. I recently bought my son a 2011 CT and it doesn't have LED's high beams as far as I can tell. I am thinking about buying the whole set (2 of the set you are using [high and low beam] and 1 of the bi-color for the fogs) you are recommending. Thanks.
Old 07-05-17, 03:01 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I did not change the OEM halogen HIGH BEAMS to LED due to I wanted a "safety net" if I needed to use my headlights if all of my low beams LED's and fogs LED's were to fail for some unknown reason (which is unlikely). I talked to a lot of people and came to this conclusion way, way, way back when I initially changed the low beams and fogs to LED. Now that I know these LED's are reliable, I PROBABLY will go ahead and change the high beams OEM halogen to the newer LED's. But I really don't see a need to, so I haven't gotten around to this.

To answer your question on the H9 for the high beams on the CT. I don't know because of the above plus I have a 2013 CT200h (yours is 2011 CT200h). I remembered somewhere I read there was a change in the type of light bulbs from 2011 to 2013 and later CT models. The only way (for sure) is to take the OEM halogen bulbs out and see (make sure you DO NOT TOUCH the glass part of the bulb. Otherwise the bulbs will prematurely burn out due to the oil/grease transfer from your hand to the glass part of the light bulb. I usually wear Nitrile gloves when I do these.)

Regarding the Bi-Colored LED's............as stated in my post above.........these Bi-Colored ones have much lower Lumens output compared to the LED's I am currently using. So I don't know how these Bi-Colored LED's will preform. The only way to find out is to order them and install them and see (at $29 a pair.......it is reasonable if these does not work out. Besides it is via Amazon and there is a 30 days money back anyway. I would just return back to AMAZON if the Lumens output is too low with the REASON: IT DID NOT PERFORM SATISFACTORILY OR DEFECTIVE).

As far as "color matching" with the LED's I am currently using..............I have tried various different LED's and can't match the OEM LED day time running lights. To "really match"..........one would have to go OEM and it will be very expensive. To me it is not worth it. But to some..........it might be worth it.

I hope the above helps.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by USLEX
@lexusrus
Will these work for the H9 high beams on non-LED CT's? I think I saw a post from you that you used these for high beams too. From what I can tell, these will work in H11 and H9. I recently bought my son a 2011 CT and it doesn't have LED's high beams as far as I can tell. I am thinking about buying the whole set (2 of the set you are using [high and low beam] and 1 of the bi-color for the fogs) you are recommending. Thanks.
USLEX (07-05-17)
Old 07-05-17, 10:15 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I did not change the OEM halogen HIGH BEAMS to LED due to I wanted a "safety net" if I needed to use my headlights if all of my low beams LED's and fogs LED's were to fail for some unknown reason (which is unlikely). I talked to a lot of people and came to this conclusion way, way, way back when I initially changed the low beams and fogs to LED. Now that I know these LED's are reliable, I PROBABLY will go ahead and change the high beams OEM halogen to the newer LED's. But I really don't see a need to, so I haven't gotten around to this.

To answer your question on the H9 for the high beams on the CT. I don't know because of the above plus I have a 2013 CT200h (yours is 2011 CT200h). I remembered somewhere I read there was a change in the type of light bulbs from 2011 to 2013 and later CT models. The only way (for sure) is to take the OEM halogen bulbs out and see (make sure you DO NOT TOUCH the glass part of the bulb. Otherwise the bulbs will prematurely burn out due to the oil/grease transfer from your hand to the glass part of the light bulb. I usually wear Nitrile gloves when I do these.)

Regarding the Bi-Colored LED's............as stated in my post above.........these Bi-Colored ones have much lower Lumens output compared to the LED's I am currently using. So I don't know how these Bi-Colored LED's will preform. The only way to find out is to order them and install them and see (at $29 a pair.......it is reasonable if these does not work out. Besides it is via Amazon and there is a 30 days money back anyway. I would just return back to AMAZON if the Lumens output is too low with the REASON: IT DID NOT PERFORM SATISFACTORILY OR DEFECTIVE).

As far as "color matching" with the LED's I am currently using..............I have tried various different LED's and can't match the OEM LED day time running lights. To "really match"..........one would have to go OEM and it will be very expensive. To me it is not worth it. But to some..........it might be worth it.

I hope the above helps.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response lexusrus. I will probably do the upgrades later after vacation this month. As for the fog lights being non-matched. Not a big deal to me. I am more interested in keeping the headlights and low beams the same. Take care.
Old 07-07-17, 11:43 AM
smknkeyz
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I went with Morimoto LED fogs for my 2013. They are by far one of the best build quality sealed LED systems I've purchased. I got mine at the retrofit source I believe. I went with the 4300k and they match the factory HIDs well. I don't really notice any difference and the Fog light projection is awesome. I highly recommend!
Old 07-07-17, 01:40 PM
salimshah

Here is another option.
https://store.ijdmtoy.com/Lexus-IS-F...s-p/70-600.htm <= they offer RX 3rd gen

I am on the fence regarding yellow/gold fog lights. I hope some one would confirm on functionality and not just the appearances.

Salim
Old 07-07-17, 09:27 PM
roy7777
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Philips has yellow H8/H11/H16 led, we can order from Amazon JP.
http://amzn.asia/8RHTgbB
The total cost is
Items:USD 84.34
Shipping & Handling:USD 8.73
Total:USD 93.07
Old 07-07-17, 09:45 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

So the one I had referenced to by vendor CarRover is at higher lumens output at 2800 lumens per bulb vs this name brand Phillips bulb at 2200 lumens. So $29 for a pair or you wanta pay more for the brand name at $89? Both probably came out of the SANE FACTORY IN CHINA!!! LOL !!!

Originally Posted by roy7777
Philips has yellow H8/H11/H16 led, we can order from Amazon JP.
http://amzn.asia/8RHTgbB
The total cost is
Items:USD 84.34
Shipping & Handling:USD 8.73
Total:USD 93.07
salimshah (07-08-17)

Quick Reply: The best LED fog bulb to match your HID