RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone tune/mod their RX here yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-17, 06:37 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Anyone tune/mod their RX here yet?

I can see that this vehicle weighs 7 tons, but has only 270 horses. Someone had to have tuned their vehicle by now. Anyone?
The following users liked this post:
Marqevans (06-29-17)
Old 06-28-17, 09:42 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Buddiiee
I can see that this vehicle weighs 7 tons, but has only 270 horses. Someone had to have tuned their vehicle by now. Anyone?
runs just fine the way it is..
Old 06-28-17, 09:47 AM
Cthan3o3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just picked up a 3rd gen RX and been lurking through the RX forum, doesn't seem like there is much interest in performance mods. Companies have just recently (within the past year) been able to tune the 2nd & 3rd gen IS350's. I doubt they've attempted to tune the RX.
Old 06-28-17, 10:06 AM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
runs just fine the way it is..
Lol youre out of your mind. The IS350 is 700 lbs lighter and has 35 more horse and thats barely "fine" lol. This isnt even close. And please save the "Buy a Cayenne then" comments - I want something reliable

Last edited by Buddiiee; 07-03-17 at 07:38 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 10:21 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Lol youre out of your mind. The IS350 is 700 lbs lighter and has 35 more horse and thats barely "fine" lol. This isnt even close. And please save the "buy a cayenne then" comments - I want something reliable
Buddiiee,

I think you are going to find many owners of the RX don't share your opinion and I ask that you please be respectful of that.

Totally understand your desire to modify and for more power, but the RX isn't a sports-oriented platform and there is VERY little demand for performance tuning. Plus modification often is at odds with a comfortable and reliable vehicle, know that in spades from personal experience.
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveGS4:
F250 (07-05-17), lexus114 (06-29-17), vlad_a (07-05-17)
Old 06-28-17, 10:38 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

... please save the "buy a cayenne then" comments - I want something reliable
I believe you probably already KNOW that "you've got to pay to play".

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Buddiiee,

I think you are going to find many owners of the RX don't share your opinion and I ask that you please be respectful of that.

Totally understand your desire to modify and for more power, but the RX isn't a sports-oriented platform and there is VERY little demand for performance tuning. Plus modification often is at odds with a comfortable and reliable vehicle, know that in spades from personal experience.

Here, here! I have to side completely with Dave on this. I don't mean to be rude with what I'm going to say, but I have to point out that if you had taken just a few minutes to scan through this forum's active threads for the past two weeks, you would see that "performance mods" are simply not a real interest point for the RX platform. The RX was not built for that, and almost all (except perhaps you) make their purchase with no intentions of chasing performance modifications.

At the same time, I have honestly had that very question in the back of my mind, but simply have not pursued the topic because of what I said above. NOW, if you want to be the "test subject" and investigate & implement some performance mods, I'm sure that you will find an audience in here to listen to your experiences, and if you discover something marvelous, you would become the pacesetter for others to follow.

Personally, I'm happy with my RXh just the way it is, or at least happy enough to leave well enough alone. If I start getting froggy about performance, the Cayenne Turbo is also in the back of my mind, and it is sitting right beside that question you asked in your first post.

Last edited by F250; 06-28-17 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-28-17, 10:53 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Lol youre out of your mind. The IS350 is 700 lbs lighter and has 35 more horse and thats barely "fine" lol. This isnt even close.
It's all relative. I'm sure many IS-F owners feel the IS350 is barely 'fine'. On the other hand, many IS200t owners feel their car is adequate and the IS350 is excessive.

But lets face it, the RX isn't meant to haul-butt on the highway. Many people don't mod their RX because the aftermarket support is nil and you sacrifice reliability to get measly 10whp that won't make much of a difference in a 4300lbs vehicle.
Old 06-28-17, 12:17 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are many considerations to purchasing an automobile. I am guessing that most on this forum (including me) value reliability over modding for better than stock performance. I would guess that most on this board would have chosen a different vehicle if performance was more important to them than reliability. An RX is not a slug but it is also not a sports car and what are the costs to reliability to try to make it into a sports car... which it will never be?
Old 06-28-17, 04:13 PM
phlorida
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with the posters that find the level of performance in the RX as acceptable. But to provide context, I live in coastal Florida. There are no exciting drives. A change in elevation is the 65' clearance of the causeways over the inter coastal waterway. The RX delivers what I need.
Old 06-28-17, 06:11 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Sort of a Sleeper

I drove my RXh in a spirited run down the 318 turns in the 11 miles of the Tail Of The Dragon.

While it may may not be billed as a "Performance Car", the RX sure can Perform!

Old 06-29-17, 05:59 AM
hovbuild
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a lifetime of "hot" pickups and all the time money and frustration on many many lift kits, carburetor changes, headers, exhaust systems, chips, huge tires ,two super chargers and one Audi RS6, the rx 350 is just a thing of beauty at this stage in my life. If I want fast I would build a pro-mod.
Old 06-29-17, 08:06 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

As I continue to "mature" (get older), I am both amused and content to learn how things which used to be "boring" are now true sources of real pleasure for me -- smooth, quiet rides without all the bounce and jiggle from stiff suspensions, and smooth turns without the side g-forces making me grip everything tighter than otherwise necessary. Don't get me wrong... I can still appreciate and enjoy an occasional thrill of running something like the Tail, but I just can't do it with my wife because it stresses her too much and she ends up sick on her stomach. In the end, enjoyable time with her is worth much more to me than any other driving thrill I could pursue. It's just an issue of personal preferences and objectives.
The following users liked this post:
Lust4Lexus (12-26-19)
Old 06-29-17, 08:39 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

I did add 20mm wheel spacers from H&R Springs http://trakplus.com/ which improved the handling and steering while preserving the ride for an investment of under $250. If you search there is an old large thread on this subject with many arguing for and against them for various reasons. I hated the wandering steering of the RX with the 18 inch wheels and Michelins. I also added 19 inch wheels that were 8 inches wide (the stock wheels are 7.5 inches wide) then went to 255/50/19 tires which are 20 mm wider but the same diameter as stock. I got Goodyear Eagle GT Asymmetric All Season tires which at the time, 2 years ago were one of the top rated high performance all season tires on Tire Rack and noted for their quick sharp steering response and long tread life. They did sharpen up the steering and the ride is still fine.
Finally, when my rear shocks leaked I installed the 2010-2012 Sport Suspension rear shocks which did reduce body roll but have stiffened up the ride. I am still undecided if I will keep them or go with them on the front when the time comes. They only cost $80 so the investment is not great. I may go with the new Monroe OE Spectrum ones which have had good reviews as they finally came out with rear shocks for the RX.
http://www.monroe.com/en-US/e-catalog

Regarding the engine, as others have said,I do not think there is anything you can do and I find it plenty fast as is.
Old 06-29-17, 09:24 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

7 tons = 14000 pounds - Are you towing 3 RX's in tandem? LOL
Old 06-29-17, 09:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Marqevans
7 tons = 14000 pounds - Are you towing 3 RX's in tandem? LOL

haha ^^^ . and even if there was a significant mod we could do for more power. would the transmission and the rest of the drivetrain be able to handle it?

Quick Reply: Anyone tune/mod their RX here yet?