RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Anyone tune/mod their RX here yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-17, 10:03 PM
terryb111
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 2013 RX350 with 35,000 miles.
I would like to add a 2" drop, mesh grille, 20"rims, and GS350 style exhaust tip w/ lower differ.
Old 07-01-17, 05:46 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buddilee, you might want to look at the Highlander forum. Same chassis and drivetrain, and people seem more willing to mod them. TRD made a supercharger for the early V6s, not sure they do for the new ones. There are usually gains to be made with intake and exhaust but they might have to be custom made and, at least with intake, you can easily lose rather than gain power. You can retrofit F-sport chassis braces and shocks; I haven't heard of a tunable CPU which might be necessary with significant changes.

Good luck.
Jonas
Old 07-02-17, 01:53 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

Except the Highlander has a different rear suspension with struts and we have shocks because Lexus wanted to provide more room in the rear cargo area. Struts are taller and intrude more into the cargo space.
Old 07-03-17, 05:36 AM
fastnoypi
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

there are supercharger kits on the market. HKS has one. One customer reported 266whp http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/pr...ifugal-rotrex/

The TRD version for the 2GRFE was designed for the Australian version of the Camry and would take some modifying and/or may have clearance issues with the RX hood.
Old 07-03-17, 07:42 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Buddiiee,

I think you are going to find many owners of the RX don't share your opinion and I ask that you please be respectful of that.

Totally understand your desire to modify and for more power, but the RX isn't a sports-oriented platform and there is VERY little demand for performance tuning. Plus modification often is at odds with a comfortable and reliable vehicle, know that in spades from personal experience.
Uhh no. I'll "be respectful" when he's respectful first. I was asking about performance, and his ABSOLUTELY USELESS comment about how "fine" it is as it sits wasn't necessary at all; in fact, a tad snooty. And for NO good reason. I mean really, what were you going for with that statement? Were you expecting me to say "Oh, you feel it's fine as it is? Oh ok then, I'll just rescind all further desires to make a slow suv a touch quicker now. Thanks! Without that I would have been lost!"
No. Sorry. Not havin' it. Try again. I give respect when I receive it.

And it's not a sports oriented platform? Hmmm... Wonder why they even bothered with the "f sport" option then. Ohhhh, you mean they wanted it to be a tad more "sportier", by RUINING the ride to temp people to take a corner at 40 instead of 30? Why? Because people want sportier that's why. lol. And I know about modifying vehicles as I do it as a hobby on the side.
The following users liked this post:
hybrinit (07-22-17)
Old 07-03-17, 07:46 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cthan3o3
Just picked up a 3rd gen RX and been lurking through the RX forum, doesn't seem like there is much interest in performance mods. Companies have just recently (within the past year) been able to tune the 2nd & 3rd gen IS350's. I doubt they've attempted to tune the RX.
Actually, I've found tunes for the RX already It should help a bit. Along with maybe a high flow air filter and gutting a set of cats, she should run a tad better I think. Light weight wheels would help as well.
Old 07-03-17, 07:59 PM
Buddiiee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by F250
I believe you probably already KNOW that "you've got to pay to play".

Here, here! I have to side completely with Dave on this. I don't mean to be rude with what I'm going to say, but I have to point out that if you had taken just a few minutes to scan through this forum's active threads for the past two weeks, you would see that "performance mods" are simply not a real interest point for the RX platform. The RX was not built for that, and almost all (except perhaps you) make their purchase with no intentions of chasing performance modifications.

At the same time, I have honestly had that very question in the back of my mind, but simply have not pursued the topic because of what I said above. NOW, if you want to be the "test subject" and investigate & implement some performance mods, I'm sure that you will find an audience in here to listen to your experiences, and if you discover something marvelous, you would become the pacesetter for others to follow.

Personally, I'm happy with my RXh just the way it is, or at least happy enough to leave well enough alone. If I start getting froggy about performance, the Cayenne Turbo is also in the back of my mind, and it is sitting right beside that question you asked in your first post.
I DID peruse this forum. What would that do? Except show me that not a lot of people have bought the tunes for the RX's yet, which is precisely why I'm here. To set a thread up for those people to pop in and share their experiences. And if noone wanted to tune them, why did people go out of their way to make expensive and costly tunes for them then? There must be a demand that you may have missed by hanging out in this online forum. Perhaps? And again, if it wasn't built for "sporty", why did Lexus seem to think this was a good platform for the F sport option? Huh? Do you realize that over 99% of any one drive time is spent straight and not turning? The ONLY benefit of the F sport suspension is to help stiffen the ride for turns, which would be all of 50 some seconds of my 30 minute ride on the way to work, and the rest of the 29 minutes is spent cursing the HORRIFIC ride that would come with that tuned suspension and low profile corvette wannabe tires. Still, they seen fit to offer it as an option. Must have been a market survey in there somewhere right? So people ARE wanting a tad sportier RX then... So people must be wanting an ultra stiff suv JUST to have mere seconds of fun in the turns.......that they spend minutes a week in. Lexus still offered it though right? So there must be an audience. So why wouldn't they offer a slightly higher hp tune to compliment the corvette wannabe suspension? It seems logical to me. Just doing suspension without say a tune and/or brakes is just silly. That's halfassing it to me. If you're going to soup up a vehicle, soup it up then, don't just throw some lower, stiffer springs and a badge on it and call it a day. It's not finishing the job.