RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Is it worth purchasing a cargo cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-17, 06:47 PM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is it worth purchasing a cargo cover?

I am anxiously awaiting picking up my new to me RX-450h next Saturday. It does not come with the cargo cover. I have never owned a hatch back before... do people find that they use their cargo covers much? Or do most people just take them out and store them somewhere? The pictures of the RX cargo covers make it look like they might be somewhat clumsey to use?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-17, 08:29 PM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I never used it ... more hassle than it's worth in my opinion ... besides, you can't see much through the dark tinted rear liftgate window ..especially if the interior is dark color. Mine has black interior
Old 06-19-17, 09:49 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

As you already know, it is non-essential. I would not purchase a new one from Lexus parts ... although you may like to get the price.

On my first Gen I kept there cover at home and now I have it affixed in the RX.

Be on the look-out to get an estimate of the street price in used market. Keep looking and if you find a good deal buy it.

Salim
Old 06-19-17, 11:17 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Mine is in the garage somewhere.

We have additional darkly tinted windows, so can't see much outside looking into the vehicle.

Originally Posted by MikeInOr
I am anxiously awaiting picking up my new to me RX-450h next Saturday. It does not come with the cargo cover. I have never owned a hatch back before... do people find that they use their cargo covers much? Or do most people just take them out and store them somewhere? The pictures of the RX cargo covers make it look like they might be somewhat clumsey to use?

Thanks!
Old 06-20-17, 06:55 AM
tkill
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is in my garage. In addition to the other reasons stated above, part of the reason I took mine out is that it rattled when in place.
Old 06-20-17, 09:40 AM
MikeInOr
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I appreciate the feedback! They are going for about $100plus on ebay.... I think I will pass for now... like Salim said I will buy one if I find a used one for cheap.

WeatherTech mats are a definite must though!

Last edited by MikeInOr; 06-20-17 at 10:27 AM.
Old 06-20-17, 03:03 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, Weather tech mats are great! We have the laser cut version for front, mid, and cargo areas. A little pricy, but EXCELLENT fit. There are other cheaper options, but less quality IMHO.

Originally Posted by MikeInOr
I appreciate the feedback! They are going for about $100plus on ebay.... I think I will pass for now... like Salim said I will buy one if I find a used one for cheap.

WeatherTech mats are a definite must though!
Old 06-20-17, 07:36 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by TN7CON
I never used it ... more hassle than it's worth in my opinion ... besides, you can't see much through the dark tinted rear liftgate window ..especially if the interior is dark color. Mine has black interior
As he said. I take mine out and leave it in the garage when I do my SnowBird thing; and when it's in the car, I rarely pull it to cover cargo.
Old 06-20-17, 09:36 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Mine is always pulled out. I store my portable battery jumper and other stuff in the trunk and they're much cooler to the touch with the cover on.
Old 06-21-17, 04:27 AM
phlorida
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Henry, we use ours and like it. It is well made and is easy to move out of the way when necessary.
Old 06-21-17, 03:30 PM
gianttama
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use mine even when i already have tinted window, maybe i am just OCD. but why would the cargo cover not included? isn't it standard? if it is around $100 on ebay i would still get it, however, if i was purchase the car (new or old), i would try to ask the dealer to have that included.

Last edited by gianttama; 06-21-17 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-22-17, 05:36 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Mike:

That's really an issue, in my mind, of personal taste and need. It just depends on how you look at the whole issue of having or not having the cover. If it is a valuable asset for you, that's when the "quality" and "functionality" issues come to the table.

Personally, I believe it's a worthy asset, and the quality and functionality are such that I would spend money to replace it if it breaks or gets temporarily removed & lost. I also have the tinted windows, and we normally leave the cover retracted (in the vehicle but not covering the cargo area) because the RXh is just a leisure/grocery-getter/errand-runner for my wife's needs. However, when we go on a trip somewhere, I like having it there to cover the rear compartment goodies just to keep "inquiring minds" at bay. You can't become interested in what you can't see. Having now owned the vehicle for 10 months with the cover in place, I would have bought a used one off eBay if it had not been in the vehicle when we got it, and I will certainly do the same for any future vehicle purchase where it is an option. In fact, the '06 4Runner we just helped our daughter purchase did not come with the cover, but I located on on eBay and it is now in place in here vehicle. I only share that last detail to illustrate that my position is not theoretical... it's real world to the point of my having already invested money into it.

Last edited by F250; 06-22-17 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-22-17, 06:41 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Talking about ease of use ... I do find it bit annoying that the side tabs have to be in groove and the 9/10 times I have to thread it again. Maybe there is a trick I am missing or my elbow height is not just perfect for the screen to be pulled in the right angle.

As comparison with first gen .. in first gen the action was simply pull and anchor one end the swing the other end down .. all in one single swoop and flick of the wrist.
3rd gen there is small ledge on the hatch which aligns perfectly with the screen.

Salim
Old 06-22-17, 04:15 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

don't bother with the cover...check out lloyd mats, they are better than weathertech in some regards. the plain rubber with the small dimples catch anything and everything. some of the weathertec let spills run all over the mat.
Old 06-23-17, 11:52 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

I use it because I don't like people looking in my car whenever I have something valuable. with a sedan, you can put your briefcase in the trunk if you park it outside somewhere. with a hatchback you don't have a hidden area. About 10 years ago I left my bag visible from the outside while dining at a restaurant. these degenerates broke my window to steal my bag. it only took seconds, I presume......

Quick Reply: Is it worth purchasing a cargo cover?