RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX350 F-Sport - Drivers Rear Wheel Excessive + Camber

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-17, 09:25 PM
Sevenfold
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX350 F-Sport - Drivers Rear Wheel Excessive + Camber

I have a 2013 RX350 F-Sport and I have noticed that the drivers rear wheel, compared to the passenger rear wheel, has a more positive camber!

I've also looked at a lot of pictures online of F-Sports and have noticed that many others are showing the same almost positive camber on the drivers rear wheel.

Now I have a very picky eye, so to me it stands out like a soar thumb.

Before everyone goes off telling me to get the car aligned, I GOT IT ALIGNED. Everything aligns within the allowable specifications however the rear drivers wheel cannot have the camber adjusted to be the same as the passenger rear.

Passanger rear camber sets at about -.74, and the best the drivers gets to is -.14

I went back to the alignment shop and they told me there is nothing that can be done to adjust the camber. They also said nothing looks bent, bushings are in tact, everything is tight.

Here is my concern, I'm running 255 40 20 tires and have noticed a significantly more amount of wear on the outside of the drivers rear tire compared to the passenger rear. And this is due to that positive camber I've noticed on that wheel.

Now if the alignment shop is telling me that everything is "within specifications" could it be that the specifications are incorrect? I'm seeing the same positive camber on other F-sports as well. Could there possibly be a manufacturing issue as well? Maybe the upper control arm on the drivers side isn't manufactured to the proper dimensions and somehow this issue slipped through the cracks?

Granted, if I were running the stock 235 series tires I probably wouldn't notice this as much. But at this rate with a 255 series tire I'd have to replace that tire every 15,000 km or so.

I'm just very surprised that:

1) I can visual see a more positive camber on the drivers rear wheel
2) I can visual see the negative camber on the passenger rear wheel
3) The alignment shop is telling me everything is aligned according to "spec"
4) The passenger rear camber is -.74 and the passenger is .-14
5) Nothing looks damaged, replaced, bent, ect.
6) I am seeing visual signs of excess wear on the outside of my drivers rear tire.

Has anyone else noticed this?
Does anyone know if camber is actually intact adjustable on the rear of the RX350 F-Sport?

Hoping for some help here.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-17, 09:30 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you checked for blown shocks in the rear? Pretty common on these things. I'd be interested to see the pictures you're talking about, not so much for proof but more because I'm curious now too!
Old 05-27-17, 12:01 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd be looking for worn/damaged suspension components, especially where the rear system bolts to the uni-body hard-points.
Excess wear will allow movement & can be compensated with an alignment but only to a degree.
Another potential is a broken coil in the rear spring.
Shocks do not support the vehicle. Take them completely off & it will sit in the same position.
Old 05-27-17, 01:28 PM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveCraig
I'd be looking for worn/damaged suspension components, especially where the rear system bolts to the uni-body hard-points.
Excess wear will allow movement & can be compensated with an alignment but only to a degree.
Another potential is a broken coil in the rear spring.
Shocks do not support the vehicle. Take them completely off & it will sit in the same position.
Shocks shouldn't support the vehicle but if you assume this problem is widespread as the OP says, wouldn't you check the most common issue on these cars first?
Old 05-27-17, 05:34 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by N4TECguy
wouldn't you check the most common issue on these cars first?
Agreed.
Is the F Sport higher/lower than a stock RX ? Was a part replaced with a stock RX part ?
Need to check the allowable difference between the rear wheels per factory recommendations.
If the difference exceeds OEM specs then something is up with the individual component(s) of the car.
Perhaps the are set differently to allow weight of a driver only as most rides will be with driver only?