RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Oil cooler line advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-17, 10:11 AM
jshow816
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil cooler line advice

Hey all,

A couple weeks ago I purchased my first Lexus, a 2011 RX350 with 80k miles. I'm a DIY type of guy and have plenty experience wrenching so I did my own pre purchase inspection of the vehicle.

During my research before buying the car I seen some posts regarding the rubber engine oil cooler lines being replaced with an all metal version. My Lexus has the rubber lines which are not seeping or leaking.

I see this as an important update to complete and have the tools and skill to do it myself.

My question is this, I seen some posts saying they've been reimbursed for the repair, or had the dealer fix the issue at no cost, however mine is not leaking. Does someone have a copy of the tsb or recall notice I can show the dealer to get this taken care of?

I'm not above covering this line with old oil and letting it soak in before taking it in to have it replaced, as I'd rather not have an emergency situation when this line bursts.

Should I eat the cost and proactively replace this myself or let Lexus take care of it like they should be doing anyway?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-26-17, 12:58 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

There are recalls and there are TSBs and warranties. Also the recalls and TSBs are based on country of sale and apply to certain date of manufacture.

Check you vin against the TSBs.

Typically Lexus covers TSB during warranty period.

Salim
Old 05-26-17, 01:05 PM
jshow816
Driver School Candidate

Is the oil cooler line a tsb or recall?
Old 05-26-17, 01:13 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by jshow816
Is the oil cooler line a tsb or recall?
Need to check with your VIN ,,, as it may not be either and country dependent. [Canada / USA]

Salim
Old 05-27-17, 09:39 AM
N4TECguy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Call the dealer and talk to a service advisor. Say they're leaking and ask if it's covered, they should be able to tell you based on your VIN number. If it is "leaking" they will replace it with metal lines. I just got mine done, 2010 with 90k miles. They may not tell you this up front but they will charge a diagnostic fee if they inspect it and determine they're not leaking, in my case the potential fee was $172.50 (but mine ended up warrantied). You will not get charged a fee if they decide to replace it under warranty, and there's really no reason for a tech to spend the time to determine they're still good if there's old oil on it.
Old 05-27-17, 02:31 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Our 2010 rx350 bought and mostly lives in southern Nevada. I've heard some people here in the states who live in the rust belt get their hoses changed out under the extended warranty. Even though I travel frequently to northern Nevada and Utah during winter, I could not convince the dealer to change my hoses. I've even had a talk with Lexus customer svc from California and they won't budge. It apparently has to be a significant leak before they'll do anything. I've taken this Rx to dealer for all maintenance, even the simple stuff like oil changes. Thought that might earn me some loyalty over the years but no dice. That's the last the stealership sees from me. Will change out the hoses myself later this year when it's time to do 110k mile oil change. In Canada, its a full blown recall, but in the US, an extended warranty only, and it has to look bad before they do anything. Good luck.
Old 05-27-17, 03:03 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jshow816
Hey all,

A couple weeks ago I purchased my first Lexus, a 2011 RX350 with 80k miles. I'm a DIY type of guy and have plenty experience wrenching so I did my own pre purchase inspection of the vehicle.

During my research before buying the car I seen some posts regarding the rubber engine oil cooler lines being replaced with an all metal version. My Lexus has the rubber lines which are not seeping or leaking.

I see this as an important update to complete and have the tools and skill to do it myself.

My question is this, I seen some posts saying they've been reimbursed for the repair, or had the dealer fix the issue at no cost, however mine is not leaking. Does someone have a copy of the tsb or recall notice I can show the dealer to get this taken care of?

I'm not above covering this line with old oil and letting it soak in before taking it in to have it replaced, as I'd rather not have an emergency situation when this line bursts.

Should I eat the cost and proactively replace this myself or let Lexus take care of it like they should be doing anyway?

Thanks guys!
TSIB is:
L-SB-0154-11 I have done this repair on my 2nd gen RX350, search our forums and around in general and you will see what it requires (tools, procedure, etc.) Takes about an hour to do, pretty tight, but not that hard IMO. Great piece of mind when done though. I ordered my part from Elmore TRD parts in California for like 57$. Includes both gaskets that had to buy separately before. Part number is in the TSIB that I will attach a PDF for in this msg. I did get refunded by Lexus after completion. Just email Corporate. On my model they call this replacement 9LC. Lexus will ask for a digital copy of your receipt of the part, a picture or two, and your VIN IIRC. You are correct in that they will only replace if it is leaking. Just replace it yourself, get reimbursed and drive feeling better.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Oil Cooler Line.pdf (204.8 KB, 752 views)
Old 05-29-17, 05:01 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I replaced mine with the OEM parts purchased via eBay for about $74. I learned about the tricks to removing it from the Highlander thread linked here.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ooler-tsb.html

The thing is there is not much room to remove some of the nuts so it is easier to remove those studs instead. The details including the proper female torx bit to use to remove them is descibed in the link. The main difference with the Highlander is we do not have to remove a bunch of under body cladding. It is a tight fit and requires a bit of wiggling to get the hoses in and out.

Thanks for the reimbursement tip, I am going to try and find the receipt and contact Lexus corporate.

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-29-17 at 05:04 AM.
Old 05-29-17, 06:17 AM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I replaced mine with the OEM parts purchased via eBay for about $74. I learned about the tricks to removing it from the Highlander thread linked here.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ooler-tsb.html

The thing is there is not much room to remove some of the nuts so it is easier to remove those studs instead. The details including the proper female torx bit to use to remove them is descibed in the link. The main difference with the Highlander is we do not have to remove a bunch of under body cladding. It is a tight fit and requires a bit of wiggling to get the hoses in and out.

Thanks for the reimbursement tip, I am going to try and find the receipt and contact Lexus corporate.
When u contact corporate, ask for reimbursement for 9LC campaign. That's what they are calling this line.
Yeah, e8 external torx, 10mm, and 12mm deep socket. I watched the Highlander DIY too and that guy takes off exhaust manifold and all kinds of things I didn't need to. For anyone looking for a good DIY video on this, there's one in the 2ND gen DIY sticky around the last page. It was how I did mine and explains removing the studs as Clutchless mentioned.

Last edited by BlackLexRX; 05-29-17 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Mispelled Clutchless, stupid phone spelled for me
Old 05-29-17, 05:18 PM
jshow816
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. This is just the type of replies I was hoping for. I think I'm just going to tackle this job myself during my next oil change. Doesn't look like too bad of a job at all. Add that I'll also avoid a trip to the dealer and the risk of being denied replacement / charged for the inspection fee's.

Let me know how the reimbursement process works for you. I'll definitely be submitting that.
Old 05-29-17, 06:13 PM
salimshah

PDF clearly states that the vehicle must be under-warranty [date in service and/or milage which ever expires first wins]. If you have extended warranty then when ever the extended warranty expires.

Salim
Old 05-29-17, 06:55 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
PDF clearly states that the vehicle must be under-warranty [date in service and/or milage which ever expires first wins]. If you have extended warranty then when ever the extended warranty expires.

Salim
True, but in my case for my 07RX350, Lexus issued a Special Service Campaign called 9LC. 9LC extended the coverage for a total of ten years. If it seeped, they would replace, if you replaced yourself, they reimbursed. I completed mine in December 16, just before the extension was over for my car and I did get a reimbursement check. Either way anyone with the rubber lines should replace them with the steel one. It's just not worth driving around with a part that can fail so quickly and release all your oil in seconds and blow your engine. Ask corporate if you are covered under 9LC, if not you are out 60$ but your engine and RX is safe.
Ive attached a pic of my reimbursement check.
Attached Thumbnails Oil cooler line advice-imag0416.jpg  
Old 05-29-17, 08:01 PM
jshow816
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by salimshah

Salim
This "service campaign" is applicable to all affected RX350's that are less than 10 years old or under 150,000 miles. However, the notice states the hose must be leaking for the dealer to replace it. It will not be replaced as a preventative measure, which is what I'm wanting to do. My wife drive's the car 85% of the time, and I DO NOT want her behind the wheel when this hose ruptures and spews all of the engine's oil out in a matter of minutes. She will likely not notice, keep driving, and lock up the motor.

Rather than play games with the dealer, and even though Lexus should RECALL all vehicles with these oil cooler lines, I'm going fix this myself and submit for reimbursement for the parts. If it's denied, so be it. $80 for peace of mind is worth it.
Old 05-29-17, 08:18 PM
BlackLexRX
Lead Lap

"Lexus should RECALL all vehicles with these oil cooler lines, I'm going fix this myself and submit for reimbursement for the parts. If it's denied, so be it. $80 for peace of mind is worth it."
Exactly. You should have no problem getting reimbursed, just have the info they ask for (receipt, etc.). They don't want to fix any that don't have to (aren't leaking), but they have no problem reimbursing those who do it themselves. My wife drives ours mostly too and having read peoples description of failures, it just goes. Oil light on dash flickers just briefly and before you know it, all the oil is gone...and engine fried. I bought mine from and recommend TRD Elmore Toyota parts. They have it for 57$, with both gaskets, OE, and fast shipping.
Old 05-30-17, 11:53 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

BlackLexRX,
I did not remove the manifold or all the other parts that Highlander guy removed. I thought he was nuts to do all that. I just used a universal joint extension with a wobble extension bar, plus the torx bit and deep sockets etc. I only moved the one wire in front of the hose.

Last edited by Clutchless; 05-30-17 at 11:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler line advice