RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Towing a 17' boston whaler with an rx350? Feasable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-17, 09:09 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
Feasible? Yes.

Ideal? No.

I spent a Sunday afternoon pulling a lightly loaded 5'x8' Uhaul with our '10 RX450h for about 200 miles. It pulled OK. Maintained speed OK. Mileage took a real hit, though. Overall, I'd prefer to not do it again and stick with my F250 diesel for all my towing needs.
Yes, RX is unibody, front wheel drive vehicle. For serious/safe towing we need truck chassis with real frame like GX460 or Toy 4 runner. Used to pull 7500 pound fiver
with Ford F250HD, Super cab towing special when kids were young. Never had trouble living near the Rockies. Never had an overheating problem on the truck on the
winding high altitude roads. Usual MPG was like 6-7. With dual fuel tank could cover barely 300 miles, LOL! After kids grew up, I sold the rig, built a small 4 season
cabin in the foothills. Lots of wild life, wild horses, fishing...
The following users liked this post:
vlad_a (05-05-17)
Old 05-05-17, 01:58 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

As mentioned above, RX is FWD platform - not great for towing. 4Runner (Limited has full-time 4WD) or Lexus GX would be a much better fit.
Old 05-05-17, 02:12 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
Wow, I never realized my 2010 RX450h was such a delicate little snowflake.
It's not, and you already know that. However.... there is a difference between "can" and "should". The first refers only to capability, while the latter is more related to design purpose. I'm sure that you already know that, too, because....

Originally Posted by riredale
There is pragmatic engineering behind every vehicle sold today, and Lexus is probably better-engineered than most. There is absolutely nothing wrong with towing a ton of trailer behind a vehicle rated for it. Nothing is going to explode. Because of the additional weight but also because of the horrible drag your mileage will be much worse. But as long as the temperature gauge sits in the middle of the scale, the mechanicals are happy. Don't expect 200,000 miles of life before overhaul, but the car will do just fine meanwhile.
See... you're already addressing the issue yourself with your last sentence!

Would I pull that 5'x8' Uhaul trailer again with my RXh.... yes, if I really need to and my truck is not available. However, I'm going to do everything in my power to NOT be placed in that situation because the truck was designed for much more than that 5'x8' trailer and is perfectly happy and completely unhindered for pulling it throughout it's 500,000 mile lifespan. At the same time, if my wife and I are taking a long weekend to somewhere within 12 hours or so... that drive will be made with the Lexus, and not with my truck! Vehicles are designed for a purpose, and perform best when operated as designed (assuming the folks who made the design also built it to really run that way).
Old 05-07-17, 10:59 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Enter the LX570. ("ENTER THE DRAGON", from Bruce Lee)
The LX570 should be able to do it with style and ease!!!
But the mpg will nowhere be as good as the RX450H. It is a trade off. But for medium to long trips (more then 6 hours), we usually take the LX570.

Originally Posted by F250
It's not, and you already know that. However.... there is a difference between "can" and "should". The first refers only to capability, while the latter is more related to design purpose. I'm sure that you already know that, too, because....

See... you're already addressing the issue yourself with your last sentence!

Would I pull that 5'x8' Uhaul trailer again with my RXh.... yes, if I really need to and my truck is not available. However, I'm going to do everything in my power to NOT be placed in that situation because the truck was designed for much more than that 5'x8' trailer and is perfectly happy and completely unhindered for pulling it throughout it's 500,000 mile lifespan. At the same time, if my wife and I are taking a long weekend to somewhere within 12 hours or so... that drive will be made with the Lexus, and not with my truck! Vehicles are designed for a purpose, and perform best when operated as designed (assuming the folks who made the design also built it to really run that way).
Old 05-10-17, 05:45 PM
charleston
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This forum is funny at times, everyone thinks the vehicle is so delicate and incapable. (The amount of people on here who think 100,000 miles is high mileage always gets me)

With the tow package you are fine on both fronts. Lexus wouldn't give that weight (that number is decided on by engineers and most importantly LAWYERS) if it wasn't capable of towing it.
The following 2 users liked this post by charleston:
Kansas (05-11-17), tus (05-10-17)
Old 05-11-17, 07:26 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Tow rating has little to do with lawyers or legislation. There's a steep climb road somewhere in Nevada, where a vehicle with a tow payload has to sustain a specific constant speed.
It doesn't mean it will be a great experience, but the vehicle will be capable.
Old 05-11-17, 07:48 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Tow rating has little to do with lawyers or legislation. There's a steep climb road somewhere in Nevada, where a vehicle with a tow payload has to sustain a specific constant speed.
That is combination of vehicle, properly equipped, plus driver skill. Honestly some drivers frown on towing something
behind. Backing the vehicle with something hitched behind, etc. Specs. are based under ideal condition like MPG rating.
Old 05-11-17, 09:05 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It is more than the lawyers. Of course it's also more than a standard test since there's always a factor of safety engineered into the thing, but even with this the experience is almost always less than ideal. These days it seems like the factor keeps getting smaller and smaller in an attempt to make things cheaper and more efficient.

On something related but different, as a 450h owner, I guess there is no standard for backing up with a load hooked up, or if there is Toyota/Lexus didn't remember to factor it in.
Old 05-11-17, 09:03 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Consider this:. Towing at "capacity" up a sustained climb of some 6% grade in 115+ F degrees hot weather for any length of time is no fun where you CAN NOT keep up with traffic and EVERYONE is passing you AND LOOKING AT YOU (I hope you have real dark tinted windows!!!). Then you start a sustained downhill decent where you are hitting the brakes constantly (the CVT transmission/regenerative braking not slowing the RX450h down enough) to the point of possible overheating something?

So after you complete your towing expedition.......do you soon change your engine oil and transmission fluid? Many don't do it.

Sure it is capable, but not ideal. Personally I would not do it with the RX450h/RX350.

Old 05-12-17, 04:25 AM
phlorida
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Note that this was the first post for the OP and that they have not replied in eleven days.
Old 05-12-17, 06:17 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by phlorida
Note that this was the first post for the OP and that they have not replied in eleven days.
Hopefully, OP moved on to GX and T4R forums.
Old 05-12-17, 06:24 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They probably haven't replied bacause of all the opinionated b.s., tangents about other vehicles, and other nonsense which doesn't answer their question.

Jonas
Kansas (05-12-17)
Old 05-12-17, 09:00 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Never mind.

Last edited by F250; 05-12-17 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-12-17, 09:52 AM
H0P
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phlorida
He's probably fishing...
Kansas (05-12-17)
Old 08-28-17, 09:42 PM
RX300IM
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 RX300 has been towing this 3000lbs trailer with no issues @256,178 miles

Road trip from Southern CA to Yukon Territory.
I've been towing this 3000 lb travel trailer with no issues. I am able to maintain 55mph comfortably. It may not pull as strong as a truck going uphill but it does the job done.

Original engine/transmission

Last edited by RX300IM; 08-28-17 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Towing a 17' boston whaler with an rx350? Feasable?