RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Exhaust gaskets & front struts

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 06:37 PM
Pistol13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust gaskets & front struts

Hello all,

I need to do front struts and an exhaust gasket on bank 2 at the bottom of the manifold.

I've searched the forum for both and the closest I've come is struts on gen 2. How similar is it to that gen?

Anyone do the exhaust before? Tips?

Thanks
Old 06-11-17, 08:56 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistol13
Hello all,

I need to do front struts and an exhaust gasket on bank 2 at the bottom of the manifold.

I've searched the forum for both and the closest I've come is struts on gen 2. How similar is it to that gen?

Thanks
Did you end up finding any DIY info for the front struts? I have a busted front shock.
Old 06-11-17, 09:04 AM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Pistol13
Hello all,

Thanks

I've changed struts on more than a few Japanese vehicles. ( Think 3 university age children driving Civics)
While the physical size/shape will differ, the basics of the job are about the same.
Strut assembly is bolted to the car unibody structure at the top & at the suspension control arm at the bottom. Not an overly difficult job if you are properly equipped.
Nasty part at times is getting things apart, moving other components that are in the way etc...
Don't try to change the spring on the strut assembly yourself unless you have a spring compressor.
Alignment is in order once the new components are in.
You can buy what's known as a "quick change" assembly with a new spring already installed & it will pay to change both sides.

Exhaust is also a relatively easy job once properly set-up. Bank on breaking "something"even though it looks really good now ! Buy a new set of spring loaded bolts & flanges before you start.

Last edited by SteveCraig; 06-11-17 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-11-17, 02:44 PM
paperthin
Pit Crew

I took off the tire today.... you are right SteveCraig....it looks vcery straight forward. Anyone have any recommendations for brand to buy for replacements?
Old 06-11-17, 03:39 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Try this Ebay listing number.
Old 06-11-17, 06:13 PM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Thanks. My own policy is not to buy from Ebay if that is what you are suggesting. I did look at the link and it doesn't work for for my 450h ( realize you wouldn't know that). I was just looking for a brand so I can try to source it up here in canada.
Old 06-12-17, 09:51 AM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just put KYB on my Rx350 they ride so much better than OEM .
Old 06-12-17, 11:55 AM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Try KYB @ Rockauto ...
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/l...ion,strut,7584
Old 06-12-17, 02:54 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Not suggesting Ebay at all but pointing to the availability of parts on-line. I'm in Canada too, East Coast.
I would change all 4 corners on my son's Civic with quick change units for about the price of one locally.
Same brand, same part numbers, go figure.
We are only about 60 miles from the US border in Maine & have parts shipped there.
As long as you don't need it tomorrow just pick it up on the next trip down.
Many locals are always travelling & can pick up for me if convenient.
Old 06-13-17, 10:51 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

The 3 sources for struts are OEM, KYB and Monroe. The Toyota Highlander 2md gen is a mechanical twin and takes the same front struts (but it has struts in the rear while we have shocks) This link shows how to replace them and other stuff http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...fications.html
The following users liked this post:
paperthin (06-13-17)
Old 06-13-17, 10:58 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The 3 sources for struts are OEM, KYB and Monroe. The Toyota Highlander 2md gen is a mechanical twin and takes the same front struts (but it has struts in the rear while we have shocks) This link shows how to replace them and other stuff http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...fications.html
Perfect. This is what I was looking for. I have a leaking left front on my wife's 2010 450h.
Old 06-29-17, 11:51 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by paperthin
Perfect. This is what I was looking for. I have a leaking left front on my wife's 2010 450h.
Anyone have a part number for a spring compressor that they have actually used? I cannot located a clamshell type for rent as the link suggests. I am just wondering due to the spring shape.
Old 06-29-17, 03:18 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

I have owned one similar to this one on Amazon for many years and it has worked on all the vehicles I worked on but I have not replaced the struts on my RX:
https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-25550-MacPherson-Spring-Compressor/dp/B000CMDPLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498774481&sr=8-1&keywords=spring+compressor https://www.amazon.com/OEMTOOLS-25550-MacPherson-Spring-Compressor/dp/B000CMDPLM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498774481&sr=8-1&keywords=spring+compressor
There are more similar ones available and I think the ones you can rent or borrow from Advance Auto are similar. Be sure to break loose the strut top center bolt while it is still in the vehicle so you can get leverage as it is difficult to do once it has been removed. You can do the final torque tightening once it has been installed for the same reason.
In the alternative you can remove your struts and take them to a local shop to have them compress the springs and swap your struts out. Shop around for prices as it will vary a lot, but this is a quick and easy job once the struts are out if they have a commercial spring compressor.
Old 06-29-17, 04:30 PM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree take the struts out and take them to a shop that has the right compressor let them do it , and save a lot of grief .
I have done tons of structs and i have the professional spring compressor . It still makes me a little nervous when I do them .
Renting a spring compressor with no experience behind would make me think twice . Be careful .
Old 06-29-17, 04:30 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

I have a very close friend who is the "local go to guy" for street rods, restorations, Vettes etc. When he was very young he was trying to change the front spring on a car by himself. It can be done with the correct procedure, equipment & experience. He's missing the end of an index finger as a reminder how not to do it.
A compressed spring contains a tremendous amount of energy. Be very careful.

Quick Reply: Exhaust gaskets & front struts