RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 lexus rx pulling to right side

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-17, 10:57 PM
damp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 lexus rx pulling to right side

I have a 2010 lexus rx350, it pulls to the right, i ve got an wheel alighnment and left side camber was off. Would this cause the suv to pull to the right all the time. the steering doesnt want to stay straight. everytime there is a groove in the road it pull right or left in it. im sure this is not normal. I was told to put in a camber kit and a alightment will solve the problem.
Can anyone comfirm this.i have attached a pic of the alighnment. previous alighnment was done by lexus dealership and the pointed the toes to correct this issue, helped a little but is this normal.

Thanks,
Attached Thumbnails 2010 lexus rx pulling to right side-20170429_212249.jpg  
Old 04-29-17, 11:44 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

How does it drive after the alignment?

There are pro shops who can get the desired behavior, but if there is no structural damage and or worn components, you should be able to get the right drive after alignment.

There can be other problems too, like bad tires or uneven road.

Salim
Old 04-30-17, 06:46 AM
damp
Driver School Candidate

Tires have little feathering, since i bought it, it was always pulling a little then i changed my left front strut because of it leaking and got an alignment and its pulling more to the right now. Hopefully a camver kit will fix this problem.
Old 04-30-17, 09:03 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Camber kit? I find that really strange on a stock vehicle
usually those are used for lowering vehicles.

Did you check your tire pressure?
Old 04-30-17, 09:36 AM
salimshah

The attached picture shows you do not need any camber adjustment.

Struts should be replaced in pairs, would be my only other comment.

Salim
Old 04-30-17, 10:30 AM
damp
Driver School Candidate

Ya i was on a budget for the struts, not sure why its pulling to the right, mechanic said try a camber kit and readjust the alignment, maybe point both toes inward as lexus did that in the past and has helped.
Old 04-30-17, 10:33 AM
damp
Driver School Candidate

Tire pressure was checked and had tires rotated also
Old 05-01-17, 06:32 AM
damp
Driver School Candidate

I decided not to go with camber bolts, going back dealer tues to see id they can correct this issue on alignment , just to note steering wheel is slightly off after strut was put in and they didnt correct this after alignment.
Question is caster same as camber? On my attached pic caster is off, would this cause a pulling and is caster adjustable?
Old 05-01-17, 06:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

something might be bent>?
Old 05-01-17, 07:03 AM
damp
Driver School Candidate

Ya possible, its so weird, if rhe road is uneven it will pull to that direction weather is right or left. Suv cant stay straight like my previous generation rx. And on highway its pulling right like im fighting it all the time to stay straight if im on the right side lane. Hopefully they can correct this at the alignment shop again or i have to see if something is worn out or bent.
Old 05-01-17, 07:30 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Could be as simple as bad tires causing the belts to pull the car to one side.
Old 05-01-17, 08:35 AM
damp
Driver School Candidate

I tried rotation of tires from left to right feels the same
Old 05-01-17, 09:08 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by damp
I decided not to go with camber bolts, going back dealer tues to see id they can correct this issue on alignment , just to note steering wheel is slightly off after strut was put in and they didnt correct this after alignment.
Question is caster same as camber? On my attached pic caster is off, would this cause a pulling and is caster adjustable?
Having the steering centered [assuming the car still travels strait] is more for humans [equal adjustment of toe can fix that].
If the toe was not adjusted when the strut was replaced then the new strut changed the geometry of the suspension.
Caster, if I am not mistaken is fixed.

Can you share, what event triggered the change in behavior of the drift?

Also have the mechanic torque down all the bolts and if needed undo the tension of the replaced strut and retorque with suspension loaded.

Has the mechanic looked for play or worn suspension component?

Salim
Old 05-01-17, 09:33 AM
damp
Driver School Candidate

When i bought the suv last year, it pulled a little both ways depending the road slant, i went to lexus and they did an alignment, they did mention the tires were starting to feather and wat they did on the alignment was point the toea inward so when ur on the slant road the toe will make the wheels go straight., it was alot better which i can handle. After the winter my left strut was banging and was leaking so i just got that replaced alomg with the stabilizer bar link and they check all everything else was good. A couple days later i noticed it pulled to the right alot more especially on highway i was fighting with it to keep it straight when on right lane, but left lane which the road angle was different made it sraight little pull to left but much easier than right lane. I got an alignment right after and they said caster was off but couldn't be corrected but shouldn't affect it at all cause it was very little of. They readjusted the toes straight cause they mentioned it was pointed inward. I got it back and it still pulled the the right and my steering wheel was off very little, they said bring it back and they will make the steering straight which im doing tomorrow, i will also ask them to point the toes back in to see if it will help work. They also mentioned the tires were starting to feather.
Winter tires​ i had on last year was very little to no pull but they are a softer tire.
Maybe i can ​​ask them when they do an alignment to point toes in and play around with the caster and camber if they can so it wont pull as much.
Old 05-01-17, 11:23 AM
salimshah

The posted picture tells me that the toe was off, but now it is set right.
Centering of the steering is as I stated more a cosmetic issue and once they hang the level right they will adjust toe on each side to center it and then set the toe-in per spec.

From the narrative it is seems the issue is the set of tires. You can try a new set [there is a cost to this, so I will leave that decision with you]. Swapping and rotating is not helping you as the wear has already set in the current set you have. All of this is just my opinion and I will remind you that it is worth the money I received for it.

If you were in my home town, I could suggest a shop to go to. Check in your area for tuner shops and specially if you have a racing track, you can ask them for alignment shops. They end up costing you 2x-4x but they have the know how to override the factory specs. The really smart guys can set things with-in the spec but tweaked to best behavior.

Salim

Quick Reply: 2010 lexus rx pulling to right side