RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Check AFS, ABS and AWD lights coming on and off

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-17, 06:39 PM
tungsten24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its has been a while since the last post, but I have an update with this situation. I finally gave up and took the car to the dealer. It was determined that left front ABS Sensor is not outputting anything.
So I got a quote for the sensor from dealer and they want $265 just for the part.

I have been doing some research and see that the part (89543-0E080) that I need is a shared part between Toyota Highlander. I am pretty confident that as long as the part number is the same, I can but the Toyota brand part to save some $$$, but I wanted to make sure that my assumption is correct.

Can anyone here tell me if it is safe to just buy the Toyota part as long as it is a same part number?

Thank you!
Old 10-19-17, 07:47 PM
tn7con
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Yes

Short answer: Yes ...
Old 10-19-17, 07:54 PM
tungsten24
Driver School Candidate

Thank you. One last question. Dealer tells me that I need to order 89543-0e080. When I look at the following site, it tells me the original part is 89543-0e020 and is replaced by 89543-0e080.

So is it correct and safe to assume that I can use either part on my car to fix the problem?

Thank you!
Old 10-19-17, 07:58 PM
tn7con
Driver

Yes again ... here's an ebay listing that references those part #'s

Last edited by tn7con; 10-20-17 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-17-17, 09:39 PM
tungsten24
Driver School Candidate

I am making a post again on this thread since I have an update.

I bought the genuine OEM part and replaced the ABS Wheel Speed Sensor. Dealer diagnostic said it was FR LH Wheel Speed Sensor was not outputting anything.

However, after replacement, the lights are still on. I took the car to Advance Auto and asked them if they can clear the codes, but there were no codes and was unable to clear anything.
I did a battery disconnect, but that did not work as well.

I called the dealer and they said it will take them about an hour to set up and read codes and clear which will cost me another $125.

Is it true that these codes can only be cleared through dealer or is there another method that I can try to clear these error messages?
Again the messages that are on the meter are Check AFS, Check ABS and Check AWD.

Thank you for any advice.
Old 11-17-17, 09:52 PM
tn7con
Driver

Have you tried Techstream software with the mini VCI-to-OBD2 USB cable on a laptop? Techstream should be able to clear any diagnostic codes, pending or active codes...
Old 11-17-17, 09:56 PM
tungsten24
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your reply.

No I have not tried that and will be honest, did not know about that tool.

I can order that and do it myself, but if that doesn't work ( meaning if messages come back), I am assuming there is another issue.....
(Dealer should have found it since I paid them $125 already to tell me what is wrong and they only said FR LH ABS Wheel speed sensor).

Anyway, I will try your method, but typically only dealer can do this and Advance or Auto Zone cant clear these?

Thank you.
Old 11-17-17, 10:02 PM
tungsten24
Driver School Candidate

Additional information. There are no "codes" according to the Advance Auto that I took it to.

So I am wondering if this tool would help clearing the Check AFS, Check ABS and Check AWD message on meter.

I will wait to order until I can confirm this.

Thank you!
Old 11-17-17, 10:13 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Did the Lexus dealership give you a print out in writing specifically the code(s)? Or they just "told you so'?

Also several years ago I had some error code that comes and goes. So the dealership did a scan and showed no codes (there were no error codes displayed on my car). The dealership asked me to bring it back when the code reapperared. So I'm not sure if the dealership can read the error codes if none are there at the time? I know AutoZone can not for sure based on my prior experience.

Originally Posted by tungsten24
Thank you for your reply.

No I have not tried that and will be honest, did not know about that tool.

I can order that and do it myself, but if that doesn't work ( meaning if messages come back), I am assuming there is another issue.....
(Dealer should have found it since I paid them $125 already to tell me what is wrong and they only said FR LH ABS Wheel speed sensor).

Anyway, I will try your method, but typically only dealer can do this and Advance or Auto Zone cant clear these?

Thank you.
Old 11-17-17, 10:22 PM
tungsten24
Driver School Candidate

They gave me a print out, but no code description. The only explanation on the print out was "FR LH ABS Wheel Speed Sensor not outputting".

So since the description was pinpoint, I ordered it and replaced it.

I am not sure if dealer is just trying to take my money at this point.....

I just want to get rid of the codes and see if they return since I replaced the part.....
Old 11-17-17, 10:25 PM
tn7con
Driver

Originally Posted by tungsten24
Additional information. There are no "codes" according to the Advance Auto that I took it to.

So I am wondering if this tool would help clearing the Check AFS, Check ABS and Check AWD message on meter.

I will wait to order until I can confirm this.

Thank you!
Advance Auto, Auto Zone, etc. would use a typical OBD2 scanner that could only read/clear P-code (powertrain: engine/transmission). There are other diagnostic code types ... read here for reference.

Anyway, Techstream could read/clear all diagnostic code types, P, B, C, U, etc ... good luck ...

Last edited by tn7con; 11-17-17 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-24-17, 07:08 PM
tungsten24
Driver School Candidate

So, I got the gadget for the Techsteam in the mail today and I tried to read and clear codes.

The codes that I got was

ABS/VSC/TRAC : C1406
Four Wheel Drive : C129(?) I forgot what the last digit was...
AFS : B2415

I had Telematics DTC and stuff, but I was able to clear those. I am not able to clear these DTCs for some reason.

Is there a way to force it to clear it? I tried many things, but not successful.

Any advice or tips are appreciated. I really want to clear these now.

Than you
Old 11-24-17, 08:34 PM
tn7con
Driver

Typically in Techstream, you view the codes in "Trouble Codes" tab then clear them in "Utility" tab ...

You could see this post for reference. For abs/vsc sensor issue, i believe you'd need to perform a sensor memory/calibration reset. Good luck.
Old 11-24-17, 08:39 PM
tungsten24
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the reply.

This is my first time using Techstream and not sure if I am using it right, but I don't think I tried to clear in utilities.

I tried clearing it by clicking on one of the icons that said Clear DTC. Nothing happened.

I will try to do it with utilities then. I hope I can get these codes cleared......

Has anyone had these 3 lights (Check AFS, Check ABS and Check AWD) come on on their meter?
I sure hope I am not the only one......
Old 11-25-17, 05:10 AM
tungsten24
Driver School Candidate

So I tried clearing memory using the memory reset in the Utility tab.
Unfortunately, nothing happened meaning all the lights (AFS, AWD, ABS) are still on the meter display.

What else can I do at this point? I tried to do everything I can still no success.

If more information of what I get from Techstream is needed, please let me know. I just want all of these to work again so I don't have to worry during the upcoming winter season.

Again, I am in desperate need of help here. Thank you again and please let me know what other information is needed.

Thank you

Quick Reply: Check AFS, ABS and AWD lights coming on and off