RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

First RX and a few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 02:49 PM
mysh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First RX and a few Questions

I just bought my first RX last weekend and I am happy with the car so far. My good friend ran the used car dept. at a Lexus dealership for many years and now does wholesale buying and selling on his own. I had him keep an eye open for me the last month since I had to turn in my lease BMW. He ended up finding me a 2012 Rx 350 AWD, 1 owner, clear carfax with 35k miles. It is a very clean car inside and out and is well loaded. It has premium package, comfort package, navigation package and tow package. Also has backup camera, park assist and levinson sound.
I got it for $22K and after looking around I feel he really found a nice deal for me. Overall I have to say I am really happy but I do wish the 2012 had the blind spot monitor system. I think I will buy some cheap blind spot mirrors to help with this.

1. I am surprised with all the packages it has that it came with those lame 5 spoke wheels. I think they really bring the look down so this is the first upgrade I wold like to make. I noticed most people on here have nice wheels and a lot of you have the rx450 rims. I like those wheels but I don't want to pay OEM prices. Is there anywhere besides ebay that sells replica RX wheels?

2. The other thing I really want to get is remote start. I have read here and elsewhere the lexus fob remote start is not good. Is it as bad as people say?

3. This is likely a longshot but before getting this RX I got a 2016 rx as a loaner when my GX was in the shop. I really loved the look of the 16' nav system. Yes the screen is wide and nice but I mean the look of the NAV software. It wasn't overhead like the 2012, but it is more angled and feels more interactive. Is it possible to upgrade the NAV to have the 2016 appearance? Obviously I wouldn't get the widesceen but I would love to get the new software.

4. Is there downhill assist somewhere and I am overlooking it?

5. I only got one FOB with the car so I bought a unlocked FOB on ebay along with a obd cord and software. I plan to program the new FOB but I also am hoping to make a few other changes. Is it possible to set the car so it unlocks with keyless entry but if I just grab something and close the car and walk away it will lock automatically again?

A couple annoyances I have observed so far and hopefully I will beable to figure out. My 2005 ipod classic 80GB doesn't work. It won't detect it for some reason, but it works with my 2006 ipod classic 160gb. I find it odd it doesn't work with the 80gb version.
It seems to treat bluetooth phone and bluetooth audio devices like separate items. bluetooth will connect and phone calls will work but then I go to stream audio and it says nothing is connected. I have to go through the process of connecting the phone in the bluetooth audio settings.
When I am on the USB ipod audio screen after a short period it defaults over to the settings screen. I would prefer it stayed on the USB music screen so I can see track names etc.
Last thing is Lexus Enform APP Suite. I tried signing up and it just keeps saying my vin is invalid. I have tried on the iphone app as well as on the website. I get the same error on both places. I know the vin is right and I thought lexus enform app suite was free. Maybe I need to subscribe to enform to get the apps.

Well thanks in advance if you have any feedback about some of my questions and concerns. This forum has been very helpful for me over the years since I have owned a 2005 GX470 for the past 6 years. I figured when I got my second Lexus I should finally sign up.

First RX and a few Questions-img_7715.jpg.jpeg

Last edited by mysh; 02-04-17 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 07:35 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,092 Likes on 932 Posts

I will address the wheel issue as I also did not like the 5 spoke wheels, I bought aftermarket Lexus wheel copies from OEWheels LLC
Click on browse by make and select Lexus then wheel sets http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheel-Sets/make/Lexus
This was almost 2 years ago and they have been fine. What is great about them is the Lexus-Toyota wheels are hub centric 60.1 mm and have the proper offset to clear the brakes and they bolt right on. I got 19 inch x 8 inch wide (factory is 7.5 inches wide) Lexus ISF wheel copies. Then I was able to install wider tires with the same diameter as stock, 255/50/19. I have UPC 9489730

Also, you cannot upgrade the Nav system.
Old 02-06-17, 04:10 PM
mysh
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Clutchless. I will check out some of their wheels. That is my first investment and I am a little hesitant to get on ebay.
I figured the NAV upgrade was a longshot but it was wishful thinking. I really liked the 2016 NAV, it made more sense for what the driver is seeing.

I also answered some of my questions over the weekend. Looks like the 2012 RX doesn't have Downhill assist. This is a shame since I live in the mountains. We can atleast use the manual shifting to help.

I also have decided to pass on the remote start from lexus. Just too many people who complain about the range and how it works with the FOB. I am looking into third party options.

Still find the bluetooth a bit unfriendly. I have no issue getting it working but it seems like I have to reconnect too much and like I mentioned in original post it seems to treat phone and audio separately.
Old 02-07-17, 12:10 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Congrats on the RX.

We have a 2013 RX450h. The couple of options our RX did not come with (which we wished it did) were the ML sound system and the HUD. We have ML sound systems in our LX570 and RCF.

It had the optional BSM (I think 2013 is the first year for the RX to have the BSM). Even our 2013 LX570 did not have the BSM as an option for 2013 (not available in 2013 for the LX570)!!

It also had the optional "F Sport" appearance package with larger optional F Sport 19 inch wheels/tires and the F Sport front bumpers. Last year we got new tires for the RX450h (cost was higher for the 19 inch versus the 18 inch). With the F Sport package (19 inch wheels/tires) the RX rides a lot firmer versus the "regular RX350". Some people like the firmer ride while some do not. We liked it because we felt it was not as "floating" and more stable (I'm sure the hybrid batteries weight contributed to the firmer ride also).

I test drove the newer RX (2016) and really liked it, especially the larger NVA screen!!!

Enjoy your new RX.

Originally Posted by mysh
I just bought my first RX last weekend and I am happy with the car so far. My good friend ran the used car dept. at a Lexus dealership for many years and now does wholesale buying and selling on his own. I had him keep an eye open for me the last month since I had to turn in my lease BMW. He ended up finding me a 2012 Rx 350 AWD, 1 owner, clear carfax with 35k miles. It is a very clean car inside and out and is well loaded. It has premium package, comfort package, navigation package and tow package. Also has backup camera, park assist and levinson sound.
I got it for $22K and after looking around I feel he really found a nice deal for me. Overall I have to say I am really happy but I do wish the 2012 had the blind spot monitor system. I think I will buy some cheap blind spot mirrors to help with this.

1. I am surprised with all the packages it has that it came with those lame 5 spoke wheels. I think they really bring the look down so this is the first upgrade I wold like to make. I noticed most people on here have nice wheels and a lot of you have the rx450 rims. I like those wheels but I don't want to pay OEM prices. Is there anywhere besides ebay that sells replica RX wheels?

2. The other thing I really want to get is remote start. I have read here and elsewhere the lexus fob remote start is not good. Is it as bad as people say?

3. This is likely a longshot but before getting this RX I got a 2016 rx as a loaner when my GX was in the shop. I really loved the look of the 16' nav system. Yes the screen is wide and nice but I mean the look of the NAV software. It wasn't overhead like the 2012, but it is more angled and feels more interactive. Is it possible to upgrade the NAV to have the 2016 appearance? Obviously I wouldn't get the widesceen but I would love to get the new software.

4. Is there downhill assist somewhere and I am overlooking it?

5. I only got one FOB with the car so I bought a unlocked FOB on ebay along with a obd cord and software. I plan to program the new FOB but I also am hoping to make a few other changes. Is it possible to set the car so it unlocks with keyless entry but if I just grab something and close the car and walk away it will lock automatically again?

A couple annoyances I have observed so far and hopefully I will beable to figure out. My 2005 ipod classic 80GB doesn't work. It won't detect it for some reason, but it works with my 2006 ipod classic 160gb. I find it odd it doesn't work with the 80gb version.
It seems to treat bluetooth phone and bluetooth audio devices like separate items. bluetooth will connect and phone calls will work but then I go to stream audio and it says nothing is connected. I have to go through the process of connecting the phone in the bluetooth audio settings.
When I am on the USB ipod audio screen after a short period it defaults over to the settings screen. I would prefer it stayed on the USB music screen so I can see track names etc.
Last thing is Lexus Enform APP Suite. I tried signing up and it just keeps saying my vin is invalid. I have tried on the iphone app as well as on the website. I get the same error on both places. I know the vin is right and I thought lexus enform app suite was free. Maybe I need to subscribe to enform to get the apps.

Well thanks in advance if you have any feedback about some of my questions and concerns. This forum has been very helpful for me over the years since I have owned a 2005 GX470 for the past 6 years. I figured when I got my second Lexus I should finally sign up.

Attachment 403639
Old 02-07-17, 01:55 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by mysh
Congrats! I'm sure you'll love it.

Different spokes for different folks. When we bought our '13 RX, I made sure that we had the 5 spoke wheels as I thought they were the best looking, not to mention easiest to clean. I'm sure some aftermarket wheels will look great, though.

My RX was a '13, which had a different generation nav system than the 12s, so I can't comment on the iPod stuff. As for the app suite, I though that was added for MY13, so I am thinking it's saying the VIN is not valid because the suite doesn't support the '12 RXs. Do you have a Lexus App Suite icon on your menu?

Congrats again, and enjoy!
Old 02-07-17, 05:07 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Congrats on the new wheels. Lots of hidden features to play with.

4) You do have "Hill Start Assist", when fully stopped press the brake HARD and
you will hear a chirp. The brakes will hold for 3 seconds so you don't roll back
down a hill.
5) Try deleting the Lexus Enform App and restart it. "Sign In" with name etc,
Use a password such as Lexus2012 (min 8, max 30 with >1 letter, >number)

Be sure to charge any phone with only the 12v plug. Only use the USB for a pod
or flashdrive. Best to let the phones Bluetooth do all the segue between phone/music
apps/driving apps. If you play music from the phone with USB it will glitch.

Have you found the Owner's Manual stash under the center console pull out "bucket"?
Try holding the remote fob "unlock" button until all the window/sunroof open.
Put the mechanical key in the driver's door cylinder and turn CCW to close all windows
Long press of the "Mode" button on left steering wheel spoke = mute/pause audio
Hidden small storage under right rear cargo floor. Left side is laughable however.
Old 10-09-18, 03:59 PM
heshamos
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Congrats on the new wheels. Lots of hidden features to play with.
4) You do have "Hill Start Assist", when fully stopped press the brake HARD and
you will hear a chirp. The brakes will hold for 3 seconds so you don't roll back
down a hill.
I believe the OP meant a "downhill" brake assist similar to the one on Subaru newer vehicles. It's a click of a button that tames the powertrain down!
Old 10-10-18, 06:43 AM
AST300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For wheels, tires, or both, I like TireRack.com. You can specify the year/model of car and see what the various wheels will look like on the car. You can show the car in the same paint color as your car. More than once, I have ordered wheels including TPMS sensors with snow tires. The tires arrive mounted and balanced and ready to mount on the car.