RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

full brake upgrade options on rx350

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 10:17 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts
Default full brake upgrade options on rx350

we have a f-sport and the brakes are just not great, i want to add some more bite and was looking to upgrade the calipers and all the parts for the front setup.

do you guys know that the rx 350 calipers are swap-able with other lexus/toyota cars maybe the gx or lx? . LIke the GS brakes we can swap and upgrade to 4 piston calipers fom supra/ls400

appreciate your help here guys.
Old 12-28-16, 11:35 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

You could install grabbier pads such as EBC Greenstuff http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3376A0A0.aspx?kc=GOOGADW&k_clickid=738009cb-aed8-4825-8632-842f725a15a5&adgroupid=1&k_trackingid=303x93&gclid=CPihobTQl9ECFZBXDQoduDoKuA

I have no knowledge regarding caliper swaps from other models. I think Toyota/Lexus designed this with a mushy pedal and no matter what else you install it will still have that feel. I installed Raybestos Element 3 hybrid pads ( ceramic and semi-metallic) and found they stop better but the mushy pedal is still present even after bleeding. http://www.element3eht.com/magnoliaPublic/home.html

I found this discussion on the Toyota Highlander forum as it has the same brakes http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...-opitions.html
Old 12-28-16, 12:04 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

did the grabbier pads made a difference? i looked at the EBC pads and EBC rotors set up had some positive reviews as well

i had mushy pedal feel with the Gs400- it was almost gone as soon i upgraded to 4 piston rotara BBK / had to changes lines and all. it was a pleasure to have that confidence and stopping power.

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You could install grabbier pads such as EBC Greenstuff http://www.autoanything.com/brakes/61A3376A0A0.aspx?kc=GOOGADW&k_clickid=738009cb-aed8-4825-8632-842f725a15a5&adgroupid=1&k_trackingid=303x93&gclid=CPihobTQl9ECFZBXDQoduDoKuA

I have no knowledge regarding caliper swaps from other models. I think Toyota/Lexus designed this with a mushy pedal and no matter what else you install it will still have that feel. I installed Raybestos Element 3 hybrid pads ( ceramic and semi-metallic) and found they stop better but the mushy pedal is still present even after bleeding. http://www.element3eht.com/magnoliaPublic/home.html

I found this discussion on the Toyota Highlander forum as it has the same brakes http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...-opitions.html
Old 12-28-16, 01:08 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

The Raybestos pads I used were only a bit grabbier than OEM. I used EBC Greenstuff on my old 2008 MINI Cooper S and found them to be nice an grabby, but that car had way better brakes and brake pedal feel. I think for your situation I would replace both front and rear pads with EBC Greenstuff and get the brake fluid flushed/bled. I would not replace rotors unless they were rusty or warped as new rotors will not make much difference. Note that Slotted/Drilled rotors are noisier and may not last as long. For our cars solid rotors are fine. This is not a high performance vehicle.

I used the Raybestos Advanced Technlology ones from RockAuto, where I also got the Raybestos pads. I think the fronts were about $60 each. http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/l...le.com+URL+%2F

They have an anti-rust coating unlike Lexus rotors. My OEM rotors were rusted to pieces such that at the Virginia annual state safety inspection I was advised to replace them due to pieces of rust falling off and overall deterioration. They only had 40,000 miles but were 5 years old.

I recall now from looking at Rock Auto that the Power Stop Z23 pads were also highly reviewed elsewhere http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....502584&jsn=438
Old 12-28-16, 08:00 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I put the powerstop z23 on our 2010 rx350 and love them. No noise, no dust. They were on sale otherwise could've easily chosen the ones clutchless got. I too cannot comment on changing calipers, but one thing that might help the mushy feel is switching to braided stainless lines for the rubber sections. Made a huge difference on our GMC, but our Rx only has 100k miles so our rubber hoses are still looking good.
Old 12-29-16, 04:59 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Pads might be the solution; but, they might feel even worse. On my Z, I switched to Hawk HPS and only notice a difference when they're screaming hot at an autocross. During regular driving, they don't really bite much more or are grabbier, although, they are noticeably worse for the first half-second that they're applied after awhile in the rain.
I'd try that first, unless you're really after the look of a BBK. You're really opening up a can of worms, though. Imagine if you fit some Project Mu on there and then ran into a wheel fitment issue. LoL!!
Old 01-05-17, 11:24 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

yea thats what i fear, alot of these aftermarket pads "warm up" to be better than OEM. i looked into BBK options not much out there- found some for the 2nd Gen.

Ceika is selling a BBK for around 1500 but i dont want to mess with changing wheels- possibly going to EBC rotors/Pads route

Originally Posted by ColAngus
Pads might be the solution; but, they might feel even worse. On my Z, I switched to Hawk HPS and only notice a difference when they're screaming hot at an autocross. During regular driving, they don't really bite much more or are grabbier, although, they are noticeably worse for the first half-second that they're applied after awhile in the rain.
I'd try that first, unless you're really after the look of a BBK. You're really opening up a can of worms, though. Imagine if you fit some Project Mu on there and then ran into a wheel fitment issue. LoL!!
Old 01-05-17, 11:44 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
yea thats what i fear, alot of these aftermarket pads "warm up" to be better than OEM. i looked into BBK options not much out there- found some for the 2nd Gen.

Ceika is selling a BBK for around 1500 but i dont want to mess with changing wheels- possibly going to EBC rotors/Pads route
Consider R1 Concepts. Just do NOT cheap out on pads!! When I bought drilled/slotted rotors and pads from them I stupidly, stupidly bought the cheapest ceramic pads. They melted on one high-speed AutoX lap. One lap. The main melt came from two huge applications from about 95mph to 20 at a corner and then the stop-box. The next round, they were so buggered that I couldn't push the brake hard enough (giving it my all) to get enough bite to even activate the ABS. I flew through the stop-box.
Humiliating and dangerous.