RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

changed the rear shocks on my RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-17, 10:18 AM
Barry2522
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No they were the standard OEM shocks not F sport .
Old 11-01-17, 06:35 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I put Sport Suspension (2010-2012) rear shocks on my 2010 to replace leaking shocks at 44,000 miles or so last year. It really stiffened up the ride and improved the handling almost enough to keep them. It was much stiffer than when I got it at 2 years and 22,000 miles. Now on rough patches it rides much rougher such that I am thinking of replacing them in the Spring. The RX is all about a smooth ride not handling and I think I enjoy it more that way. However I want to test drive some of the newer ones and the Mazda CX9 is calling to me.
Old 03-27-18, 04:12 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

How can you tell if the rear shocks need to be replaced? When I go over a speed hump, I can hear a gas hiss sound as the front suspension articulates, but the rear suspension has no similar hiss sound - it's just quiet.

Do fresh rear shocks make the characteristic shock absorber hiss sound when driving over speed humps?
Old 03-27-18, 05:51 AM
Clutchless

I am unaware of such a sound and doubt you could hear it in the RX over all the engine noise. With the RX you visually inspect the rear shocks for leaks by seeing if the lower half is darker, which indicates a leak. The test for worn shocks is more individual, although many still do the standard body push down test. You push down on a rear corner of the body a few times to get it in motion and after letting go, if it bounces more than once before stopping, you probably need new shocks. Or if you feel the ride or handling has become much worse. When my rear shocks leaked the rear got softer and sloppier with much more body roll changing lanes or cornering.
Old 03-28-18, 01:55 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The sound insulation on the RX is so good you won't be able to hear anything from the cabin, if the windows were wound up. I often drive into undercover multi storey car parks, and when the windows are down, the front shocks can be clearly heard when going over speed humps. But the rears are silent.

On my other vehicles, both front and rear gas struts can be heard quite clearly. So I'm wondering whether the RX front struts are gas pressurised shock absorbers whilst the rear are oil filled shock absorbers.

From observation of my own vehicle, the rear suspension is reasonably composed over speed humps, with excellent rebound control. So I'm guessing it's all OK for now. No weeping at the top of the shock towers so far, but if they do go, I might give the KYB shocks a try, just because other members on this forum have reported favourable improvements in ride comfort.
Old 04-02-18, 12:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

My original shocks look like they leaked a while ago as the fluid does not look wet anymore. With 100k miles on the odometer, I'm pretty sure they are toast. I usually stick with OEM on these type of vehicles, but knowing how early they leak, I rather try KYBs. Mine shipped out today and should be here tomorrow.
Old 08-05-18, 04:10 PM
Ftime
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just replaced my wife's 2011 RX 450h with 92K rear shocks after hearing a slight clunk on bumps from the passenger rear side. AWD, w/o sport and w/o air ride. Same shock for both sides. Simple to do if you don't have a seized bushing to the bolt on the bottom mount. All you need is a jack and 17mm socket, air wrench or electric impact driver will make the job 20 minutes per side, half of that to take off the wheel. The problem I ran into was the right side had the bolt on the bottom seized to the bushing in the shock (common problem with all vehicles) and the bolt would only come out half way and stop. What I did after fighting it for an hour was this. Soak with PB blaster, re-tighten the bolt, soak the bolt and run it out until it stopped again, soak again and re-tighten. I did this over and over and each time the bolt came a little farther out, then after about four or five times it came out. Be careful banging prying the bolt, the shock brackets bend easy. The drivers side wasn't seized so it took about 15 minutes to replace. After removing the shocks and inspecting them I could take the passenger side shock and push it in and pull it out with almost no resistance and it lost all of the pressure. The new shocks and the drivers side old shock that was still good, are pressurized and the shock would not stay in the compressed position. When you push it closed it would slowly extend itself. Simple job, OEM shocks were about 100 for the pair. I just stuck with OEM because she loves the ride and I didn't want to change that. Right or wrong, I did coat the bolts with anti-seize in case I have to do it again. RX rides great and no clunk or swaying when jerking the wheel left and right on the road. If you can change a tire, you can change the rear shocks.
The following 3 users liked this post by Ftime:
Hargetthom (08-06-18), raylor4 (12-09-19), sagan (12-24-19)
Old 08-10-18, 06:42 AM
Derek1984
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had to have my rear shock absorbers replaced. Have 82k miles on my 2013 RX. Was told they were leaking. Was given a quote of $500. I believe my mechanic got the parts from Monro. Well big mistake. Day after they got replaced, an annoying creeking type sound was coming from the back on the passenger side. Sounded like from the trunk. It was almost non-stop. Went back to mechanic, was told it was a faulty shock. So they replaced it. Well, as I am leaving the mechanic, now I hear the drivers side making noise from the back. Not as bad as before, but a sound none the less. I go back, this time the mechanic sits in the car with me as I drive. He hears what I am hearing. Something is not right. FINALLY, they tell me we are just replacing to shock absorbers with parts direct from Lexus. Well, as I type this, I am now having no issues at all. Rear shocks sound fine. Bottom line, I believe the shocks from Monro were the problem. Next time, they need to be part from Lexus.
Old 10-22-19, 01:21 PM
rababich
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tempestv8
.... On my other vehicles, both front and rear gas struts can be heard quite clearly. So I'm wondering whether the RX front struts are gas pressurised shock absorbers whilst the rear are oil filled shock absorbers. ....
It's probably just the wording, but I think all shock absorbers are "oil filled".
Here's an excerpt from an article - "Many shock absorbers contain pressurized nitrogen gas in them as well as the hydraulic oil. If a shock has to react very rapidly to an up and down motion the hydraulic oil can start to foam. This foam causes the shock to lose some of its control. The purpose of the gas in the shock is to keep the oil under pressure so it is less likely to foam."
A shock absorber that is gas pressurized will fully extend when not installed because of the gas pressure.
A non-pressurized shock absorber will stay compressed.
Or, in the case of the last time I changed shocks on our Ford, a pressurized shock absorber that stays compressed has lost its gas pressure.

Last edited by rababich; 10-22-19 at 01:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-08-19, 07:52 AM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wanted to share mine at 75k, fully depleted. Got a new oem set for 120$ shipped from Lexus of queens. Install took about 1hr total taking my time.

Old 12-08-19, 01:59 PM
Clutchless

They look really shot, you got your money's worth out of those!
I noticed Lexus of Queens had the lowest prices when shopping rear shocks for my HS250h.
Old 12-09-19, 08:11 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

GSteg...I replaced my rear shocks with KYBs about three years ago because of a bumpy ride with OEM shocks. I have been very happy with the ride. BTW, I had trouble getting the bolts off, so I had to take it to a local shop.
Ray A.
Old 12-14-19, 12:14 PM
tora302
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replaced rear OEM shocks with 25k miles with KYB on my 2010 RX350, ride is much improved. Less jolting, less noise.

Was disappointed with the OE shocks I installed at 105k miles, lived with it until now. Granted I've only put 30 miles on it since the swap, but it was $130 well spent
Old 12-14-19, 12:46 PM
Fpan87
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tora302
Replaced rear OEM shocks with 25k miles with KYB on my 2010 RX350, ride is much improved. Less jolting, less noise.

Was disappointed with the OE shocks I installed at 105k miles, lived with it until now. Granted I've only put 30 miles on it since the swap, but it was $130 well spent
whats the part number ??
Old 12-14-19, 02:00 PM
tora302
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New ones are KYB 349203
OE were 48531-0E141

Quick Reply: changed the rear shocks on my RX