RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2014 RX350 F-Sport Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 01:41 PM
imxkal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 RX350 F-Sport Vibration

Hello All,

I just recently replaced all four tires/balanced a few weeks ago.
After having all four tires replaced/balanced and having an alignment done twice due to vibration, I'm still getting the vibrations.
Under acceleration at speeds below 40~50mph, there are random vibrations. The vibration feels like I'm driving through gravel.
I wanted to post here to see if any one had experienced the same issue before I contact Lexus.
I have 61,xxx miles currently.
Old 08-18-16, 03:48 PM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually started experiencing this right after getting new tires and break work done. i had a friend expree the same issue after first round of maintenance. It sounds stupid but as if it all goes to crap after factory off the line settings are changed.
Old 08-18-16, 04:21 PM
imxkal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by niklow
I actually started experiencing this right after getting new tires and break work done. i had a friend expree the same issue after first round of maintenance. It sounds stupid but as if it all goes to crap after factory off the line settings are changed.
Did you get the issue resolved? I just spent $1000 on the car to have vibrations made during acceleration?
Old 08-19-16, 07:03 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

possibly tightend wheels lopsided (not tightened in correct pattern) or over tightened? also could be their wheel balancing machine is off calibration...
Old 08-19-16, 07:32 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

Your new tires are probably defective, or at least one or two of them. I got a set of Yokohamas that could not be balanced back when I had an ES350 and had to send them back to Tire Rack. Got Michelins and no more vibrations.

Alignment is not likely to help vibrations. You should try a Hunter Road Force balance. It costs more than the typical balance but adjusts the tire position on the wheel to balance out the heavy areas on each.
Old 08-19-16, 07:39 AM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What tires did you buy? What kind of shop installed them? Stock wheels? I assume you had no issues prior to the new tires....

I would not look to an alignment to fix a vibration. Have the lug nuts loosened, then tightened by hand with a torque wrench in a star pattern to factory spec. Have the balance rechecked. Make sure an experienced tech or manager (and yourself if possible) watch the tires on the balancing machine and inspect/measure for out of round condition or other casing defects.

But the vibration happens under acceleration? That's a strange time for a tire-related vibration.

If you had a ton of miles on it, there are a lot of places I'd look, but at 61K, nothing specific comes to mind. Assuming quality tires, installed by a capable shop, on stock wheels, I'd have Lexus check for worn/damaged front end parts like tie rods, bushings or CV joints. Maybe something failed prematurely, or maybe the tire shop damaged something.

Some interesting articles:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/tires2.htm
http://www.aa1car.com/library/tvibes.htm
http://www.aa1car.com/library/wheel_balancing.htm
http://www.tirereview.com/back-to-ba...eel-balancing/
http://www.moderntiredealer.com/arti...-to-avoid-them
Old 08-19-16, 09:43 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

vibration under acceleration sounds like a drive train issue i e axles
The following users liked this post:
RCA350 (02-12-24)
Old 08-23-16, 03:25 PM
imxkal
Driver School Candidate

I found the invoice. The four tires are bridgestone dueler h/l 422 235/55/19.
I also got the alignment done twice at the shop. After feeling the vibrations a few times, I took it back and got it re-done.
I don't know if this helps, but my alignment results are below.
Front Left | Front Right
Camber -0.9' | Camber -1.0'
Caster 2.8' | Caster 2.4'
Toe 0.06' | Toe 0.06
Front Total Toe
0.12'
Steer Ahead
0.00'
Rear Left | Rear Right
Camber 0.1' | Camber -0.7'
Toe 0.09' | Toe 0.00'
Rear Total Toe
0.09'
Thrust Angle
0.05'

I have an appointment with Lexus tomorrow for an alignment and wheel balancing tomorrow. Hopefully the issue will go away after its serviced. I'll report back tomorrow.
Old 08-24-16, 07:02 AM
Clutchless

Once, again, do not waste your money on an alignment that has nothing to do with your vibration issue. Alignment places your wheels/tires in the correct geometric spot to maximize traction/steering and minimize wear. It has nothing to do with wheel/tire balance. However they should check your suspension & steering for worn components that may contribute to vibration.

Tires and wheels need balancing. Sometimes new tires are out of round or defectively made such that they are unable to be balanced. A normal tire balancer just takes your already mounted tire and wheel and spins it up to speed to find the spots that are in need of weight to balance it. Sometimes the heavy spots on the wheel and the tire are incompatible, as the mounting is random.

Thus the Hunter Road Force balancer first checks the wheel balance to find the heavy & light spots, I think it then it checks the tire for heavy areas, then they are mounted in a specific way to minimize and balance out the heavy spots on each prior to final balancing. It also checks for pulling and other tire issues. Often this will resolve problem tire balance issues. http://www.hunter.com/wheel-balancers/road-force-touch
Old 08-24-16, 08:25 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Tires and wheels need balancing. Sometimes new tires are out of round or defectively made such that they are unable to be balanced. A normal tire balancer just takes your already mounted tire and wheel and spins it up to speed to find the spots that are in need of weight to balance it. Sometimes the heavy spots on the wheel and the tire are incompatible, as the mounting is random.
+1. Same thing happened to me with a tire brand called General. I balanced them thrice only to leave a small amount of niggle and jiggle all over. Once the tires were replaced, all vibrations were gone. Like a night and day difference.
Old 08-24-16, 02:01 PM
imxkal
Driver School Candidate

Just got back to work from the dealer. Dealer told me tire balancing was causing the issue. While getting it serviced, I got the front brake pads done as well.
So far so good, drove around for 30 miles or so and no vibration.
Old 08-25-16, 05:57 AM
Clutchless

It would be nice to know if they had a Hunter Road Force balancer. They cost so much that dealers are more likely to have them than tire shops.
Old 08-25-16, 08:52 AM
imxkal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
It would be nice to know if they had a Hunter Road Force balancer. They cost so much that dealers are more likely to have them than tire shops.
No idea if Cerritos Lexus had a hunter road force balancer.
Bad news is the vibrations started again yesterday after work, but it's not as bad as before.
It feels more like a vibration from the car being in the incorrect gear. Similar to a manual transmission car trying to take off from a stop from a higher gear.
Old 08-31-16, 07:00 PM
imxkal
Driver School Candidate

Found out it happens exactly at 40mph when the car is fully warmed up. I'll be making a trip of Lexus again hopefully next week.